Why Faber weighed in for UFC on ESPN 8

With no prior announcement, UFC Hall of Famer and bantamweight Urijah Faber weighed in for Saturday's UFC on ESPN 8, as a lightweight. This is why:

https://twitter.com/arielhelwani/status/1261308004860940291

Does this happen often? Or ever before this on such short notice? 

1 Like

There isn’t a lightweight fight on the card..

1 Like

Pretty cool

I'm so confused at how there can be a visa issue....... he's signed the contract, physically made it to the venue, successfully weighed in.... how does a visa issue cause a fight cancellation at this point?

2 Likes
SHOGUN250 - 

I'm so confused at how there can be a visa issue....... he's signed the contract, physically made it to the venue, successfully weighed in.... how does a visa issue cause a fight cancellation at this point?

I’m confused as well. Why doesn’t he just use Mastercard instead?

6 Likes
GeorgeCarlinUGTPTT -

I’d assume would be catch weight for a 145er to accept since faber isn’t a 155er obviously. Off the street weight 

GeorgeCarlinUGTPTT -

Also strange that Vettori weighed in at LHW as an alternate, but no LHW fights are on the card

1 Like
SHOGUN250 -

Not sure tbh but you can get a visa without having the right to work during your stay. He might have applied for the wrong visa?

There's also the possibility that his visa expired? 

Bureaucracy can be a real pain...

1 Like
GrindOnLine -
SHOGUN250 -

Not sure tbh but you can get a visa without having the right to work during your stay. He might have applied for the wrong visa?

Lots of fighters travel on student visas. Then they do seminars for cash, maybe help around the gym for cash, anything that keeps them off the books.

Have a feeling we’re going to see a lot of Chinese fighters with “visa issue” 

GrindOnLine - 
SHOGUN250 -

Maybe it’s a work visa that needs to be secured in order to get paid.

1 Like
Kevin85 -
Ministry of Truth -
SHOGUN250 - 

I’m confused as well. Why doesn’t he just use Mastercard instead?

As a kid I was always confused when I heard about foreigners getting visa cards. 

Its a French benefit

If neither Faber or Vettori are called on to replace someone, they fight each other 

SHOGUN250 -

Perhaps his visa doesn't allow him to "Work". 

perhaps only there to train???    

https://www.instagram.com/p/CAOAiv9gkpF/?utm_source=ig_embed

Not sure what the post by Faber means. References "tough opponent" and "sack of cash" then "sitting the bench." Is he in or not??

Ghost Of Don Logan -
GeorgeCarlinUGTPTT -

Also strange that Vettori weighed in at LHW as an alternate, but no LHW fights are on the card

Yeah that made no sense.  Same with Faber.  Literally 2 alternate fighters for weight they don’t need 

chepo77 -

Not sure what the post by Faber means. References "tough opponent" and "sack of cash" then "sitting the bench." Is he in or not??

He probably got paid to make weight as an alternate fighter ready to step in if there was an issure.  They would have just made the fight a lw match.  So he stepped up and accepted a potential match, weighed in, got paid, and will now sit the bench because he isn't need to fill the spot on the card.