Why I hate tatami mats

The gaps in the mats are impossible to clean so they become a breeding ground for bacteria. Then the bacteria starts to build under the mats between the mats and the floor

Eventually you have a Petri dish full of disgusting shit Phone Post 3.0

Then it gets on your belt..... Should I be washing my belt? Phone Post 3.0

the judo dojo pull up the mats once a year for a festival. It is indeed nasty.

But they are the safest mats for standup. The tatami finish allows for feet to slide easier preventing knee and ankle injuries. That sliding though makes it harder to do some mat work cause opponent can slide away a little.

The tatami finish rollup type fix the problem of crevice crap collecction, you just need to tape the seams using mat tape,

Not to mention your toes are susceptible I'm getting caught in those gaps during takedowns Phone Post 3.0

Had some close calls with toes in mats.
The best thing is when you are trying to
Get the gaps Pushed together and a poof of random body hair, skin cells and bacteria shoots up into
Your face. Phone Post 3.0

L Phone Post 3.0

The Maestro - Not to mention your toes are susceptible I'm getting caught in those gaps during takedowns Phone Post 3.0
Yess. That too Phone Post 3.0

buy some tape

Properly set up tatami should be very tight, so toes getting stuck shouldn't be an issue. A good vacum will get up the hair and skin cells. A narrow hose attachment should get out most of the water that might drip into the gaps. Cleaning a mat is a lot of work, but investing in several buckets and several mops will help the job get done quickly. Just ask your students to help you clean the mats.

Tatami tape - that's a new one for me. I'll have to look into it! Phone Post 3.0

Still better then shitty canvas and def better than fucking puzzle mat bullshit.

I figure finding a volunteer to clean mats would be easy with all the scabs wanting to train for free. Phone Post 3.0