Why is ChuteBoxe' ground game so

underrated? Between Silva and the 2 Rua brothers they have 1 submission loss!

Silva got lay'n'prayed upon by Tito but I highly doubt that would happen again today. Arona will be a true test, but I think the gap between Silva and Arona's standup is way bigger than the gap between Arona and Silva's ground game. I see Silva winning this fight by brutal, brutal KO.

I thought Ninja outwrestled Hendo, in a shitty decision, and I'm not 100% but I seem to remember his fight against Arona being a shitty decision also. Not to mention the shitty decision against Rampage. Just think where he's at if he gets the nod in those 3 fights.

Shogun has the only sub loss among the 3, to Babalu(top 10 IMO) which was a couple of years ago and it looks as if he's evolved quit a bit since then and may have the best ground game of them all. I actually think his ground game is better than his standup game because of his sloppy defense, or wide open offense that leaves him exposed alot.

I don't know if Chute Boxe is the best team in the world, but they are without a doubt the best to watch and I hope they have 2 representatives in the GP finals that fight 100%. I think they are just crazy enough to do it.

Also, they seem very humble and respectable in their interviews and the such. If I wasn't Al Bundy(married with children) I'd move to Curitiba and train there.

Here's to hoping both Silva and Shogun win by submission in the Semis just to show how good their ground games are. I don't see that happening in the Arona fight, but consider it a great possibility in the Overeem fight, either that or more EXCITING ground n pound because Overeems height will give Shogun trouble.

Underrated? Shogun looked like Mark Coleman in beating Minotoro. Not a sub attempt, td's that did no damage whatsoever, basically never passed gaurd, tried 50 million stomps that did little (not like Mark heh).

I don't understand why Silva thinks Shogun is better on the ground, from the GP results, Arona will handle Shogun quite well.

Who was the last really good sub grappler Silva faced? (and don't count Saku)

I will be surprised if Arona will be able to do much with Vand on the ground. Ive said before, i think Silva has one of the best MMA guards in the sport.

We will see. Arona no doubt will be a test on the ground

I dont know about subs being a strenght of his but Silva has always been good at gaining positions on the ground and getting back up, not in a Chuck Liddell way, but almost as efficient.

He goes to guard easily when he is put on his back and his opponent has side mount or half guard. And he waits/creates the opportunity to stand back up.

He has never been damaged much on the bottom by G'n'P.

That shows good ground skills IMO.

Date: 07/21/05 08:10 PM

Underrated? Shogun looked like Mark Coleman in beating Minotoro. Not a sub attempt, td's that did no damage whatsoever, basically never passed gaurd, tried 50 million stomps that did little (not like Mark heh).

I don't understand why Silva thinks Shogun is better on the ground, from the GP results, Arona will handle Shogun quite well.

Who was the last really good sub grappler Silva faced? (and don't count Saku)

He dominated with GnP, and not boring ass Randy Couture or Tito Ortiz GnP, exciting GnP with superman punches and stomps. He was smart enough not to try and trade submission attempts with a BTT black belt.

I'm not talking just BJJ either, Chute Boxe always refers to it as BJJ but they outwrestle good wrestlers and guys considered more grapplers than strikers conistently. Ninja and Shogun both have very very good takedowns.

And Yoshida is the last really good grappler that Silva faced.

El Guapo: Heheh, nice one.

"He dominated with GnP, and not boring ass Randy Couture or Tito Ortiz GnP, exciting GnP with superman punches and stomps."

Was it truly effective? The 'superman' punches were putting him in as much danger as giving damage to Mino, did any of the stomps land? He couldn't trade submissions because he couldn't get position - he was beaten in that area. Fine he looked flashy, that's nice, but analysing what he actually achieved I think tells a different story. Mino's biggest problem was conceding the takedowns. Had he just fought 2 or 3 of them off, I think he would have taken it.

"Chute Boxe always refers to it as BJJ but they outwrestle good wrestlers and guys considered more grapplers than strikers conistently"

Position. Positon and position, that's what BJJ is to me. The best BJJ guys get subs from dominant positions or neutral (such as guard), I don't see CB subbing too many people.

I know CB have some impassioned followers now, and Shogun is actually one of my faves (I picked him to beat Mino), but I've seen so many fights to not want to analyse them more deeply.

i know they train with blackbelts in jiu-jitsu at chute boxe, marcelo mello (brazilian jiu-jitsu blackbelt) under royler gracie,top team , now trains with them, marcelo fought in (ufc xx) very skilled on the ground