Why is the UG deleting threads for UFC?

My two cents (even though pennies are abolished in Canada):

Three prong issue from where I sit (from the perspective of a lone forum user):

1) I am guestimating 75%+ of individuals that post here have not actually read the Terms of Service (ToS) themselves. Those who have not actually read them expose themselves to the interpretation and opinions of others. The opinion of a random forum poster is what it is. Living through the opinion of someone else is a blind existence.

2) Inconsistency. Those that have read the ToS can recognize that sometimes the ToS are not enforced and sometimes they are rigorously enforced (some would say over zealously). Speculations run wild and since we all like hollywood movies we fall in love over and over with the double/hidden agenda plot line. This is fuelled by those who have no idea what they are talking about and those who are content fulfilling their online experience by flaming whatever is popularly negative.

3) Assholes. Their lives are so fucking empty that they need to shit on others to sometimes feel better about themselves. As an alcoholic (formerly active drunk) I was sometimes one of these so I have empathy for these souls. It's a shitty way to live.

As for me, I am enjoying my experience as a UGer and will continue to support this site. I support those that profit from this site, those that donate time to this site and those that also enjoy this site. For this big community to keep working we need rules and we need to keep playing within the walls of that box. We need to have faith that Kirik, Chris and company are doing what is in the communities best interest. A happy community is what is in their best interest otherwise there will be nothing left to manage.

I do not have to love everything that is decided around here, but I do have to accept it.

Keep up the good work MMA.TV, just don't forget that there is always room for improvement.

Kirk thanks for responding I am baffled why it took 3 days. Phone Post 3.0

THE_REAL_AMERICAN -
ThePundit - Kirik dropping truth bombs Phone Post 3.0

from the top of the fence

My problem was not the deleting of threads but the refusal to even acknowledge it was happening then deleting of threats asking why.

The cover up is always worse then the story.

If a mod or kirk on Sunday after the 2nd thread was deleted simply said

"the public tweet was obviously supposed to be private so we are treating it as a private matter and will not discuss the private lives of people on the site"

It would have been a none issue. But that did not happen. Mods would not dicuss it or they even tried to deny it was happening. Finally 3 days and 8 deleted threads later we get a reply.

A quick message would have made this thing a non issue. Phone Post 3.0

Morpheus1976 - Those $20.000 could have been used to fix the site? and this is money from blue names?

Yes, it breaks my heart. And bank. We have several revenue streams and blue names are one of them, so I guess, yah, all the blue names for the year went to defend against an asshat copyright case.

Letibleu - 

1) I am guestimating 75%+ of individuals that post here have not actually read the Terms of Service (ToS) themselves. Those who have not actually read them expose themselves to the interpretation and opinions of others. The opinion of a random forum poster is what it is. Living through the opinion of someone else is a blind existence.

2) Inconsistency. Those that have read the ToS can recognize that sometimes the ToS are not enforced and sometimes they are rigorously enforced (some would say over zealously). Speculations run wild and since we all like hollywood movies we fall in love over and over with the double/hidden agenda plot line. This is fuelled by those who have no idea what they are talking about and those who are content fulfilling their online experience by flaming whatever is popularly negative.

3) Assholes. Their lives are so fucking empty that they need to shit on others to sometimes feel better about themselves. As an alcoholic (formerly active drunk) I was sometimes one of these so I have empathy for these souls. It's a shitty way to live.

As for me, I am enjoying my experience as a UGer and will continue to support this site. I support those that profit from this site, those that donate time to this site and those that also enjoy this site. For this big community to keep working we need rules and we need to keep playing within the walls of that box. We need to have faith that Kirik, Chris and company are doing what is in the communities best interest. A happy community is what is in their best interest otherwise there will be nothing left to manage.

I do not have to love everything that is decided around here, but I do have to accept it.

Keep up the good work MMA.TV, just don't forget that there is always room for improvement.

Agree 100%. I was not speaking rhetorically when I said I fail on a very regular basis.

What does rhetorically mean? Phone Post 3.0

Kirik.... Do you still wear dirty socks in public? Just wondering.

This site was wonderful a decade ago. To me it still is wonderful. But the people who run the site haven't changed. The people coming to the site is what changed. Nobody is perfect. But this kind of negativity is what brings this place down. To me, this site is for training talk, fight stories, and being excited about how the sport can grow. Sadly, it's not that way anymore. The fact that there's an uproar over threads that contain personal life information being deleted is just beyond me. If you want to know who Lorenzo is banging, log into TMZ ( or call OMA) If you want to find out fight news, come here.

Just how I feel about it all. Phone Post 3.0

Zekolas - 
THE_REAL_AMERICAN -
ThePundit - Kirik dropping truth bombs Phone Post 3.0

from the top of the fence

My problem was not the deleting of threads but the refusal to even acknowledge it was happening then deleting of threats asking why.

The cover up is always worse then the story.

If a mod or kirk on Sunday after the 2nd thread was deleted simply said

"the public tweet was obviously supposed to be private so we are treating it as a private matter and will not discuss the private lives of people on the site"

It would have been a none issue. But that did not happen. Mods would not dicuss it or they even tried to deny it was happening. Finally 3 days and 8 deleted threads later we get a reply.

A quick message would have made this thing a non issue. Phone Post 3.0

I definitely mis understood the level of interest in the subject. I can't even begin to imagine how vacuous a life has to be for someone to act like some of these people have.

By addressing some stuff you have to acknowledge it, and in my experience engenders further questions, and I don't have time for it.

So deletions are usually just deletions. This thread looked like a question and there was nothing much objectionable so it was an opportunity to respond, and ask a few people what is wrong with them.

dawley - Kirik.... Do you still wear dirty socks in public? Just wondering.

This site was wonderful a decade ago. To me it still is wonderful. But the people who run the site haven't changed. The people coming to the site is what changed. Nobody is perfect. But this kind of negativity is what brings this place down. To me, this site is for training talk, fight stories, and being excited about how the sport can grow. Sadly, it's not that way anymore. The fact that there's an uproar over threads that contain personal life information being deleted is just beyond me. If you want to know who Lorenzo is banging, log into TMZ ( or call OMA) If you want to find out fight news, come here.

Dude I agree 100%.

I am making an effort to show special recognition ot BJJ black belts and that hopefully brings in some people who actually train, instead of drool on their bibs.

sunnyko - What does rhetorically mean? Phone Post 3.0

To make a point for an argument, rather than to convey the truth. It is using facts like a drunk uses a lightpost, not for illumination, but for support.

Kirik -

Dude I agree 100%.

I am making an effort to show special recognition ot BJJ black belts and that hopefully brings in some people who actually train, instead of drool on their bibs.

Answer the dirty socks question or else I'm making a new bash thread for you!

I love that bjj black belts get special names. It's awesome us amateur fighters get love too. I remember MMA.TV choosing my picture from an 'MMA.TV t shirt' thread to use as picture in the UG shop. I felt like a model. Some of us still cherish this place man. Don't lose sight of that. Phone Post 3.0

Completely agree with what you have to say, VU.  I lurked here for about 2 years or so before I started posting, and for years this place was 95% talk about MMA of all facets, over the last two years it seems to have turned into what 90% of the internet consists of, which is people that use the fact they can hide behind their screennames and say shit to people that no respectable human would ever say to someone in person. 

No matter how big or small a card, there would have been 10-15 threads on the first page about the fights this upcoming weekend, but for the last couple of days it's been half shit about Lorenzo.  It'd be like going to a NFL forum and seeing all the posts about Jerry Jones instead of the players or upcoming games

ausgepicht - 
McSurly - 
Zekolas - It bothers me sunny and many more paying customers ask a question why did my threads get deleted and no mod will even respond. Phone Post 3.0

How are you a paying customer if you are a mud?

You've been here almost four years and you still don't know that blue-namers can choose their posting color?

First I heard of that. and I've been here longer then 4 years.

dawley - 
Kirik -

Dude I agree 100%.

Answer the dirty socks question or else I'm making a new bash thread for you!

I love that bjj black belts get special names. It's awesome us amateur fighters get love too. I remember MMA.TV choosing my picture from an 'MMA.TV t shirt' thread to use as picture in the UG shop. I felt like a model. Some of us still cherish this place man. Don't lose sight of that. Phone Post 3.0

I wore socks with sandals once reffing. It was up on the UG within hours. I hinestly didn't know that was goofy.

is it possible, the UFC, zuffa or the owners use a third party/firm to sponsor money?

Kirik you know for a fact had Tito Ortiz posted that tweet the thread concerning it wouldnt be deleted just like the hundreds of threads going on about his kids, ex-wife, etc, etc.

Tons of crazy personal shit gets posted on here about people within the MMA community and nothing is done or said about it, then the second Lorenzo makes a public tweet, every thread is deleted.  I dont give a shit who Lorenzo is tweeting publically by mistake but at least try and have some consistency if you are going to try and be the hero of defending people's private lives.

Mutant - 
Kirik -
Mutant - 
Kirik -

I am baffled at the handwringing over this one.

Are there really human beings so despicably spoiled they think they are endowed with a funadmental human right to gossip in the most tawdry fashion imaginable? On my mother's life, I have no knowledge one way or the other about the subject, and because I am an adult, I don't care. You should not either if you are older than 12, or younger than 12. Or 12.

You can't discuss the personal life of prominent figures in the MMA community on the UG. It is in the terms of service, and is eminently reasonable. It has always been the case.

It has been the case since the late 90s, when there was talk on the UG about the apparent extra marital shenanigans of a prominent member of the MMA community. We happened to find ourselves he and I that weekend in the same room, and had a full and frank discussion about the matter. He was famous then, way more famous now. People's personal life is no one's business, and people that love to gossip about that kind of thing should look at themselves honestly and be ashamed, and make some corrections.

I am not saying this from some lofty position of perfection. I make mistakes all the time. I have failings of character all the time. But if you think you have a right to speculate in public about someone's personal life, and are outraged when a grown up acts in ways they remind you that you don't, then there is something fundamentally wrong with you that needs to be addressed.

We receive $0.0 from the UFC, from ZUFFA, or from the owners. I had to use all that language so there was no wiggle room. The UFC does not own the UG. Or rent it.

There are countless great people here. And there are too many sad, adult adolescents, offering ignorant advice and making ignorant demands with no understanding of adult reality. There are consequences to things that happen on the UG.

I have received years of insults and criticism for the removal of three posts about Lloyd Irvin, among the 100s. Ask Fuzzy Badfeet what he thinks now that he lost his school. He was long on advice to me. Ask him now how things worked out when he followed his own advice.

We just in December closed a copyright case in Federal court that cost us $20,000, over 22 images posted on the site, posted by UGers, and hosted on a third party site.

I am an adult. I try to run this site responsibly and approrpiately. The individuals complaining about this have lost their bearings, and that is the kindest thing I can say.

Yet you allow members to white Knight other members fucking with their real life and livelihood without any consequence. So basically you only matter if you own the ufc otherwise zero fucks are given. Phone Post 3.0

I have probably banned 100 people for trying to mess with people's personal lives and livelihoods.

Lol Nope they still post here under their name Phone Post 3.0

How would you know which users he has banned?

THE_REAL_AMERICAN - 
EckY - 

Kirik you know for a fact had Tito Ortiz posted that tweet the thread concerning it wouldnt be deleted just like the hundreds of threads going on about his kids, ex-wife, etc, etc.

Tons of crazy personal shit gets posted on here about people within the MMA community and nothing is done or said about it, then the second Lorenzo makes a public tweet, every thread is deleted.  I dont give a shit who Lorenzo is tweeting publically by mistake but at least try and have some consistency if you are going to try and be the hero of defending people's private lives.

vu

Amen. The consistently of enforcement is laughable. The only times it's been strictly enforce are for this situation and somebody's moms book being discussed. How convenient that both of those situations involved the company brass but not a fighter.

Dr Doom - 
Kirik - 
Dr Doom - 
Kirik - 

I am baffled at the handwringing over this one.

Are there really human beings so despicably spoiled they think they are endowed with a funadmental human right to gossip in the most tawdry fashion imaginable? On my mother's life, I have no knowledge one way or the other about the subject, and because I am an adult, I don't care. You should not either if you are older than 12, or younger than 12. Or 12.

You can't discuss the personal life of prominent figures in the MMA community on the UG. It is in the terms of service, and is eminently reasonable. It has always been the case.

It has been the case since the late 90s, when there was talk on the UG about the apparent extra marital shenanigans of a prominent member of the MMA community. We happened to find ourselves he and I that weekend in the same room, and had a full and frank discussion about the matter. He was famous then, way more famous now. People's personal life is no one's business, and people that love to gossip about that kind of thing should look at themselves honestly and be ashamed, and make some corrections.

I am not saying this from some lofty position of perfection. I make mistakes all the time. I have failings of character all the time. But if you think you have a right to speculate in public about someone's personal life, and are outraged when a grown up acts in ways they remind you that you don't, then there is something fundamentally wrong with you that needs to be addressed.

We receive $0.0 from the UFC, from ZUFFA, or from the owners. I had to use all that language so there was no wiggle room. The UFC does not own the UG. Or rent it.

There are countless great people here. And there are too many sad, adult adolescents, offering ignorant advice and making ignorant demands with no understanding of adult reality. There are consequences to things that happen on the UG.

I have received years of insults and criticism for the removal of three posts about Lloyd Irvin, among the 100s. Ask Fuzzy Badfeet what he thinks now that he lost his school. He was long on advice to me. Ask him now how things worked out when he followed his own advice.

We just in December closed a copyright case in Federal court that cost us $20,000, over 22 images posted on the site, posted by UGers, and hosted on a third party site.

I am an adult. I try to run this site responsibly and approrpiately. The individuals complaining about this have lost their bearings, and that is the kindest thing I can say.

All fine and good if you were:

A) Consistent. The personal soap operas of so many prominent people has been aired on here without interruption from moderators for decades.

and

B) Acknowledge that while you may have experienced legal issues stemming from posts on this site, there isn't a damn thing Lorenzo could threaten you with in relation to what he posted on his twitter account. Now if you are being threatened with other actions, I understand. But you should be honest about it.

I haven't made a single post in relation to this saga until this one. Like you said, I don't understand why people give a shit.

But it seems to me that the geniuses working for Zuffa are just as good at PR management as they are at creating fight posters.

Have you explained to them that just letting the whole thing blow over without explanation would have been a far wiser course of action than attempting to censor it? All that does is provide legitimacy to theories about a suspect, but still inconclusive and relatively innocuous, tweet. It fans the flames rather than letting them burn out.

Tell Lorenzo's buddies that an 'adult adolescent' on the UG is able to figure that out. Why can't they?

You are an intelligent  and valued member of the site. That said, you are factually incorrect here.

No one from the UFC reached out to me over this one. I don't know that a soul even noticed. No one threatened me, no one anythinged. No one noticed.

Of course there is no legal recourse for a brat pack of addled "adults" oggling deleted tweets. It is not about legal, it is about reasonable.

We moderate things on the site of a personal nature every day 365/16. This was nothing out of the ordinary.

The only extraordinary thing is that some Americans are so self entitled and self involved and so ill raised that they think the constitutional freedom of speech contract between the government and the governed extends to gossip that would bore a grandmother.

Whether or not Zuffa has any hand in this, that is the theory many of us have adopted. They do have a rap sheet.

I'm not going to push the point because I don't think I could care less about any topic than allegations of a billionaire's nocturnal activities based on a vague tweet.

But I would repeat the PR advice now. People, such as myself, are only interested in possible Zuffa intimidation rather than Lorenzo's tweet. If you let them talk about the tweet undisturbed, they will very quickly lose interest.

It would also go a long way to proving us conspiracy theorists wrong.

So your saying Kirik should allow people to gossip about Lorenzo's personal life (but moderate gossip other peoples personal life) to prove that he is not influenced by the UFC?

Strange logic.

Kirik - 
Letibleu - 

Agree 100%. I was not speaking rhetorically when I said I fail on a very regular basis.

You are a human living a human experience when you feel you have failed.

Speaking for myself, I seek progress in everything that I do, not perfection. From this perspective I do not call it failure when it happens but rather growth. I do the best I can with what I have and the results do not belong to me.

Failure is the condiment that gives success it's flavor after all.

Keep doing what you do :)