why scientifically do shirts smell?

For a thread that's only 2 pages long, this thing is all over the place and the least offensive odor in it is Roxy's rashguard.

microbiologynerd - 
Mike Sanders - 
microbiologynerd -  because you touch yourself at night

Dumbest mod post ever.

allow me to redeem myself for your approval sir.

the baking soda trick mentioned works well. also wash more often and dont let your sweatty clothes hang out in a pile for days/weeks before washing them.

please please can we be friends now?

It takes more than just an apology to be in my gang...

LOL thanks guys. Interesting....I have stuff to try now.

Did you know that all Japanese washingmachines are cold water only? Like the Japanese don't believe in using warm water to wash clothes. It's really weird....

buvaiser- the quest to becoming the ultimate fighter means one has to cope with the ultimate BO....

Roxy how long do you keep the same rashguard shirt?

canuck34 - When doing a load of laundry, add a cup of vinegar. Wash. Then rewash with laundry detergent.

Smell will be gone.

I do this, but I turn the machine off once it fills and let the vinegar set in the water/clothes for 30 minutes or so. Than I just add soap, close the lid and let it do it's thing.

AmericanPsycho- well, I chucked a few T shirts recently...and I was going to throw away a rash guard, but then it stopped smelling. Which was really weird. I don't remember doing anything differently, but whatever. So I guess a few years?

OH ok Roxy I only ask because I didn't know if we were talking about old shirts or just recent bought. I have a rash guard, but mostly wear it to MMA events don't really roll in it.

canuck34 - I'm not kidding about the vinegar. It works.

It works on my hockey gear...which is way worse funkwise than BJJ gear.

^This

Hockey gear is the funkiest shit around. My roommates in college wouldn't even let me bring my gear inside, even though I was just walking through so I could take it to air out on the balcony.

Had to leave it in my car...which made my car reek!!! Good news is I was never asked to be designated driver for that very reason.

Mike Sanders - 
RickStorm DaddyDirtied Me - 
Mike Sanders - How many of your 4499 posts have been simple variations on the phrase "lol," RickStorm?

The other two were posts describing in detail the intercourse that he engaged in with your sister...

And I won't be the first or last to say... they were quite graphic.

Oh, I didn't see it. That's probably because I tend to stay away from faggot OG ballshaving threads where men posting with screennames that suggest another forum member has performed some sort of sex act on them giggle and engage in the online equivalent of high-fiving and slapping buttocks while detailing their fantasy sexual escapdes! I'll just take your word for it that it exists and that the content of your post wasn't merely a lame attempt at a basic "yo mama" joke variation.

another smackdown by Mike Sanders.

The Mad 1 -  Damn, have some respect, some real $hitty response to this one... More and more like Sherdog on here everyday.

Yah I'm sure the last 6 months has been a real roller coaster of emotion for you.

STFU AND VTFD. Roxy can handle herself here.

from http://www.crscientific.com/experiment2.html

"human sweat contains water, salt, small amounts of urea (NH2CONH2), and sebacious gland secretions (squalene, fats, cholesterol esters, waxes, etc.). Fats themselves are esters of glycerol and various carboxylic acids. Bacterial enzymes quickly break down these esters into butyric, caprylic, and caproic acids (among others). These compounds are largely responsible for the unpleasant, rancid smell of gym socks.Bacteria living on the skin (and, consequently, in the gym socks) also produce the enzyme urease, which converts the urea to ammonia and carbon dioxide. When the pH is low (as in the presence of the carboxylic acids), the enzyme does not attack urea as readily. Adding sodium bicarbonate raises the pH to the point where the enzyme becomes quite active, and the conversion to NH3 and CO2 is favored. Note also that ammonia itself then promotes the enzyme's activity, resulting in a kind of positive feedback system."

hence [edit lol]ACID like vinegar LOWERS the ph. good for washing shoes/soles

www.nhbgear.com/Wicking-Gear-c-13.html 

NCAA92 - 
Morgz -  I have a team mate who said his wife adds a cap ful of pine sol to their wash when she washes gi's and rash guards.  Not sure if it takes the smell away but it does at least mask it with something much more pleasant.

I already said that dumbass.....learn how to read
Yes but I feel I said it so much better.  You made it one word with no description.  Your post reads "penis all"...just like that patch on the back of your shorts

I've found that NOT letting my gear sit long enough to dry out before I washed it has helped prevent the funkin' odor.

Rox19 - LOL thanks guys. Interesting....I have stuff to try now.

Did you know that all Japanese washingmachines are cold water only? Like the Japanese don't believe in using warm water to wash clothes. It's really weird....

buvaiser- the quest to becoming the ultimate fighter means one has to cope with the ultimate BO....

Hey Rox, how you doing?

interesting about the washing machine. i only use hot water for whites, cold on everything else. could probably get by with just cold.

Pernicious -
The Mad 1 - Damn, have some respect, some real $hitty response to this one... More and more like Sherdog on here everyday.

Yah I'm sure the last 6 months has been a real roller coaster of emotion for you.

STFU AND VTFD. Roxy can handle herself here.

Thanks, Pernicious. And Mad 1 is just being polite. :)

Hey Swamprocker ! I'm doing okay (save lack of fight offers). Yourself?

Amidst the smart-alec remarks, I got some really interesting info. I always do here, thanks. :D

Us? Smart-alecs? No way.

We still love you though, Roxy.

Use Gain detergent. Its a little more expensive, but works like a charm.

seriously, don't do too much vinegar... it makes you smell like the douche (literally) that i used to find in the girls locker room (custodian job). nothing more revolting. oxyclean works well. it oxidizes the stinky compounds alot better than the pH thing with vinegar.