Why the UFC “could” trade Max Holloway to Bellator

@Barry_BondsMVP ears are ringing

you could be onto something

Holloway’s not going anywhere unless he’s shot and still wants to fight after a multiple fight losing streak.

If the Pico that’s been on a roll shows up, he would break Max down with his boxing and wrestling

2 wrongs don’t make a right, plus totally different situations.

DJ’s division was and is dead in North America.

He has been able to thrive in a much more popular market.

Max is very popular as is his division.

He can go to Bellator when he’s 45 if he wants to keep fighting then.

He doesn’t deserve that now.

And as much as Coker loves his old washed UFC stars, he isn’t about to trade his own young homegrown one for someone on the backend. Max isn’t even washed either.

Who would they trade Max for, Pitbull? He’s 4 years older, has been fighting 6 more years, and he also doesn’t speak English very well. It doesn’t seem like a worthwhile trade. Pitbull is likely to fall off sooner than Max And is less popular.

Max is a great fighter. In any other era he would still be champ

1 Like

Yea, but 13 fights of styling on Ray Borg and Wilson Reis. Anyone looking at his streak with any semblance of nuance realized he was competing with nowhere near the level of competition as the heavier divisions. He either lost to or avoided his best competition. With all due respect to a great fighter, with context, he should have never been in a p4p discussion.

1 Like

Excellent point. He dominated a very thin division that UFC never put much effort into building. I mean, Tim Elliott was one of his title defenses… It’s not DJ’s fault that the division was thin but he doesn’t have the resume to be on the level of the GOATs.

He’s got some great wins.

2 wins over Joseph Benavidez
Win over Horiguchi
Win over Cejudo
2 wins over John Dodson
Win over Miguel Torres
Win over Uncle Creepy

All while being the smallest fighter in his division

2 Likes

That slam into armbar is still the dopest finish in MMA history.

1 Like

I’ve always wondered what makes a division “thin.” Was it thin or was he just that much better than everyone else?

When there’s a lack of depth or aren’t many top tier fighters.

Tim Elliott getting a title shot for winning TUF is an indicator of a thin division.

Horiguchi getting a title shot off beating “Louis Gaudinot” is another.

Etc.

DJ and Benavidez were about the only A-level fighters in that division until Cejudo finally hit his prime.

For MVP?

Imagine if Max goes to bellator and loses to Usman Nurmagomedov

1 Like

Im Not Maya Rudolph GIF by Saturday Night Live

1 Like

I doubt the UFC would ever trade Max. He’s got a cult following and puts on exciting fights.

1 Like

Usman is 155. Bellator 145 is Pitbull, Pico and pretty much no one else that Max would be likely to struggle with.

1 Like

I always wanted to see that pitbull guy in ufc

Max is too slow and has long limbs. That body would be broken down. He would get countered too death and than taking down at will

Thanks