Will we ever see a Khabib-Makhachev-Usman situation again?

Three teammates and training partners. Same weight class. Two of them are first cousins. I’m not sure if Abdulmanap ever predicted Usman would become LW champ after Makhachev but he predicted accurately that Khabib and then Makhachev would be become UFC LW champs before they did so. Javier Mendez predicted on record that all three fighters would become champions before they did so.

From 2008 to 2020 Khabib went 29-0 and defended the UFC title 3x.
From 2010 to 2023 Makhachev has gone 25-1 and defended the UFC title 2x.
From 2017 to 2023 Usman has gone 18-0 and defended the Bellator title 2x.

For three teammates (two of them relatives) to dominate the deepest weight class in the sport and go 73-1 over fifteen years is a ridiculously impressive feat.

Thing is Islam is still only 31 and wants to go after the WW title as well and Usman is only 25.

Think we ever see one team dominate a weight class to this degree again?

3 Likes

No… Khabib is the best fighter in the sports history, his Dad was the best coach in MMA history, and Eagles are the best team in MMA history. People will be crying about it for years.

They are way, way ahead of the pack technique and training-wise, there is a lot more than just 3 of them as well, and this legacy of fighters may go on to dominate longest span of time in MMA history by a considerable margin.

2 Likes

6 Likes

Id say yes, the sport is so young and its only gaining popularity

Not if you ask this forum. This forum would have you believe mma sucks today and it’s dying

Family Feud Lol GIF by Steve Harvey

I mean it sucks compared to what it was a handful of years ago, but I assume it will get better etc

1 Like

The only thing that sucks today is the HW division. Everything else about the UFC is better today than it was 10-15 years ago

1 Like

Lol what? Leon Edwards is probably the worst WW champion in the last decade, MW is meh, LHW is a mess. Now its about whos popular to fight for a title and not who’s actually good

Give me this :

Add in the Pride Era and even Strikeforce and MMA was a way better time

If you like the current time period, you would have absolutely loved from Pride to around 2011ish

4 Likes

You’re talking about the fighters themselves

I’m talking about the UFC itself. It’s far better today than it was 10-15 years ago

More events. More free events. The smaller weight divisions. The PI. The fact that it’s in NYC and other countries now

Youre Wrong Gordon Ramsay GIF by Hell's Kitchen

Islam is wayyyy better than khabib…
And khabib and his father even stated that islam was better than khabib.

2 Likes

Smaller weight divisions were around once the UFC absorbed the WEC in 2010, even then the WEC was amazing.

The events these days are way more watered down than they once were. The free cards are nice, but you’re spending thousands a year for honestly a handful of good cards a year.

I guess you had to be around back then to appreciate what you had.

3 Likes

His striking is certainly lightyears a head of Khabib, Id say he’s probably more well rounded

I like Islam way more than I do Khabib

2 Likes

Thats why I hated this fight. A short notice Volk loss means he will probably never fight Islam for the belt, after that razor close decision and an Islam win means he beat a 45er twice.

2 Likes

Oh please. Volkanovski is as dangerous a fight as any LW would be. A GOAT from the weight below moving up is always gonna be just as dangerous a fight as a random #1 contender from the higher weight class. Plus Islam only fought Volk a 2nd time because the #1 contender LW pulled out the week before the fight.

Islam was ready to fight 13-1 in his last 14 Charles or he was gonna fight the FW GOAT or anyone else put in there.

You water cooler conversation means nothing. UFC is killing it and way more popular worldwide than it was a decade ago.

1 Like

You gotta add LHW to that list. It used to be the best class to watch.

2 Likes

Why do people conflate how good Khabib is with how long he stuck around for?

The two are not the same thing, primitive monkey brains.

1 Like

Do you think Islam sticks around longer? Do you think he breaks the lightweight record or out of respect to Khabib? He stops at three and moves to welterweight?

Khabib and Islam both want him to break Khabibs record and of course he will, he’ll probably win the WW title and defend there as well. He still isn’t as good as Khabib though.

Umar, Usman and Islam all want to break records.

This is about honoring Abdulmanap MMA.

1 Like

What happens to Usman Nurmagomedov now that Bellator is no more.
Islam move up and let Usman get the belt.

Dana should make them fight each other

They would rather be cut than fight eachother (UFC would never do that though because they both bring in $).

When Usman’s business with Bellator is done he will sign to the UFC and win the LW title.

Islam wins the WW title.