Win By Submission Only - Tourney

i think 200 competitiors would take a while, but doable(in a day) if you had 4 mat spaces available.

Id do it

Kneeblock is correct, this would have to be a superfight type deal and have a nice paycheck, sadly to many top names wouldnt compete cause being subbed is bad compared to losing to points.

I think Usurper's ideas are very good. I think there is more than enough interest for someone to put this on. By the way, I went outside and threw up after my 21 minute match. Definitely NOT in shape for that one. :)

I used to think submission only unlimited time limit tournaments was the shit. But I competed in a tournament where me and my opponent fought so long that the gym had to close. We fought like 2 hours to a draw. Our match was just a boring deadlock. Now I think no time limit no points isn't a good idea.

How about a set of rules that would penalize someone for inactivity? Each time someone stalls, take away 1 point. Five points = you forfiet the match.

its definitely possible, and i would love to see it happen

no points.. i think the best way to penalize someone for stalling is to reverse position.. say after 2-3 warnings.

usurper, how can you warn or penalize someone for stalling in a no time limit contest? The idea of stalling only comes from the existence of a clock.

Some of the problems with no time limit matches have been block satellite times, venues closing, or sheer mental and physical fatigue of the promoters and fighters (and the audience too I might add). I like the idea of ending the fight after a certain set of points since it keeps the fights active and matches shorter than sub only. Rorion's rules have some problems like switching positions but I like the rest of his rules.

Baret, you're telling me you wouldn't drool over the idea of fighting Royler in a submission only contest at Abu Dhabi?

i dont think stalling and letting the clun run out are the same thing. people can stall while they are in a dominant position.. in time limit matches i think its to let the clock run out to get the win. in a no time limit match i would think that the only incentive(and objective) would be to rest, while your opponent struggles. and, just like in times matches where its clear the person in the dominant position isnt being active or trying to advance to a submission, so could someone be called on it in a no time limit match.

btw thanks for the input baret, though i cant see how any of your matches could be called boring.

I think that would be a kick ass tournament. Long, but kick ass for all the die hards. I think that's how they should all be ran but understand why there is a time limit and had to add the point system.

But I agree that there would have to be enough time between rounds. Maybe make it a 2 day tournament, fight 2-3 fights on the first day and then all the finals on the last day. Something like that. But I think it's a great idea and I would be there with the rest of my team as well.

Marie Colangelo