Wing Chun Sun Punch

not going to post the specifics of the punch, do a search on Google about it...learn how to do it and jab with this punch, and devastate your opponent. He'll be wondering, (how does his jab feel like his hook?)

:)

I think if you get in the ring with a real boxer throwing a sun punch you are going to get knocked out.

Muhsin

As a Wing Chun teacher Myself I can state with at least a modicum of knowledge that Wing Chun Punches are not as Powerful as a the Boxing rear hand punch. It is however comparable to the Boxers Jab.

Has anybody ever won a world championship with the wing punch? No! I'll stick with the punches that have been used for 100 years.

It wasn't meant to be a sport. Wing Chun greatest asset, the hand traps are negated by Boxing gloves. Before anyone starts, I am not suggesting Wing Chun Is superior to Boxing. The Problem with Wing Chun Is it's no longer tested out Like Boxing, I.E. sparring with hard contact. But Not everyone wants to get hit either. Therein lies the dilemma how to hit without getting hurt but at the same time get bettter
at what you practice. Wing Chun or boxing? If you want to Box, then Box. If you want to Practice Wing Chun
practice Wing Chun. If you want to be a world champion
Boxer go find a good Boxing coach. If you want to learn a traditional art go do that. To each his own.

Respectfully,
John

It's a vertical punch, if you practice it live and really work on owning the technique than you can do well with it. But, I don't think it's any mystical "new, thousand year old technique that will drop your opponent in seconds without any training".

"Has anybody ever won a world championship with the wing punch?"

Yes. Jack Dempsey for starters.

Truth of the matter is that the vertical punch was COMMON in the early days of boxing. There was a time when almost everyone used it. Heck I have a half dozen Boxing manuals from 1925 and earlier (as early as 1902) where the ONLY fist you see is vertical and there isn't ONE horizontal.

"Even with MMA gloves on, not one of them has ever succesfully trapped one of my hands."

Traditional Wing Chun trapping works best when people put up obstructions like as in another Wing Chun man. Boxers don't put up obstructions so traditional Wing Chun trapping is useless in a boxing match.

I enjoy both. I have had success and failure with both. The punch doesn't do the punching...YOU the individual does the punching. Come on guys!!!

If Mike Tyson vertical punched you and landed it you would be KTFO.

If Roy Jones used vertical punches he would land them.

Saying that it is no good because it didn't work? Well, what would happen if the first time you threw a jab, you missed and therefore deduced that it was useless?

Aus

"Yes. Jack Dempsey for starters.

Truth of the matter is that the vertical punch was COMMON in the early days of boxing. There was a time when almost everyone used it. Heck I have a half dozen Boxing manuals from 1925 and earlier (as early as 1902) where the ONLY fist you see is vertical and there isn't ONE horizontal."

and then the style evolved through the 30's, 40's, and 50's. If vertical punching was an effective style, it would not have been completely phased out in the proceding decades.

Boxing is "proven" because they get in the ring and make it work by sparring. But at what cost? Like I said not everybody wants to get hit in the face.

Wing Chun used to work in 50-60's Hong Kong Because guys would go out on rooftops and make it work. Does anyone go out and make it Work by applying the art in real situations anymore? I would venture to think very few do.

Thats why traditional arts aren't as effective as Boxing is in The ring or Octagon. They
are Taught in theory only, not application.

Aus,

nice to see you here!

Jack Dempsey in his book Championship boxing makes a good case for vertical fist jab.

BUT it should also be noted that Dempsey talked about more than the vertical fist in terms of power in the jab he also talked about the drop step.

One can't talk about the vertical fist without also talking about the drop step because they go together.

Although Dempsey may be "old school" and many fighters of today seem not to box in the same fashion he did, great fighters like Joe Louis and others of the 30s 40s and 50s use the same punching mechanics and principles he wrote about in his book.

One thing that can't be argued against is that Heavy weights of that time were alot smaller than today's heavyweight fight YET that had a much higher KO percentage.

I think it is because the mechanics of their punches best represented their body weight. That is, they were able to get more of their body weight behind their punches.

Jack Dempsey talked about in his book how twisting you fist actually causes ones shoulder to turn, making straight punches looping punches thus making them less representing the force one is putting into them.

"and then the style evolved through the 30's, 40's, and 50's. If vertical punching was an effective style, it would not have been completely phased out in the proceding decades."

You must be on the wrong thread. Or maybe I am? Re-read my post. I never said it was as efficacious as a horizontal punches (though it doesn't mean I don't agree nor disagree). I was responding to the post about there never being a Champion that used it. I added the little history tidbit for nostalgia.

As for calling vertical punching a style? I'm not sure I understand that.

Lastly, as for being phased out...How much boxing do you watch? I still see it. The most notable proponents of it are Ray Oliviera and two lesser known guys called Oscar de LaHoya (He calls it his .45) & Roy Jones.

m.g. that was a briliant post and well put. Some interesting points.

Aus

Hey Hyman!!!