WMMA Discussion Thread

Bethe is back in the US training at AKA- fight announcement soon?

Prior to accepting the fight with Cris, Leslie smith wanted to fight Bethe

What say you?

Jessica Eye supports women's Flyweight division but won't compete there. Says she is happy at 135. Walks around 150-152 and says that new IV regs make it harder and she would have to sacrifice something.

http://www.foxsports.com/ufc/story/2016/05/25/ufc-jessica-eye-supports-a-women-s-flyweight-division-but-she-won-t-fight-there Phone Post 3.0

The Nevada State Athletic Commission today suspended Invicta FC flyweight Andrea Leefor nine months and fined her 30 percent of her $3,000 purse ($900) from Invicta FC 16.

“KGB” Lee (4-2) tested positive for a pair of diuretics – canrenone and spironolactone – after a submission loss to Sarah D’Alelio (9-6) by rear-naked choke in the third round at the March 11 event at Trinidad Pavilion at Tropicana Las Vegas.

Lee’s suspension, which previously was agreed upon as part of a settlement with the NSAC, is retroactive to the date of her losing effort, which means she’ll be eligible to fight Dec. 11. She must also pay her fine or work out a payment plan prior to getting another Nevada license, pay attorney’s fees from the NSAC proceedings, and provide a clean drug test 30, 15 and three days prior to her next fight in Nevada.

Lee admitted on Twitter she had taken a “fluid pill” before her fight, but denied the use of any performance-enhancing drugs. Today during the hearing, she appeared via teleconference and claimed she obtained several pills from her mother, who “had a history of needing them, and I decided I would try it.”

Asked why she didn’t disclose the diuretics on her pre-fight medical questionnaire, she claimed she was in a hurry signing her documents and neglected to disclose them.

http://mmajunkie.com/?p=195519

Do you believe Lee's excuse?

It sounds pretty dam shady to me.

"I just decided to take one of my mothers pills"

"Someone on my team gave me a pill to help me loose weight"

"someone at my church gave me something etc etc"

These girls know they are subject to testing and yet can't help themselves when someone gets the smarties out? I think it's known as the "I'm thicker than a Whale sandwhich defence"

Sunkist1207 - 

Bethe is back in the US training at AKA- fight announcement soon?

Prior to accepting the fight with Cris, Leslie smith wanted to fight Bethe

What say you?

It would be a good fight. Leslie takes this IMO.

Hopefully you can name all the fighters in the photo below 

Sunkist1207 -

The Nevada State Athletic Commission today suspended Invicta FC flyweight Andrea Leefor nine months and fined her 30 percent of her $3,000 purse ($900) from Invicta FC 16.

“KGB” Lee (4-2) tested positive for a pair of diuretics – canrenone and spironolactone – after a submission loss to Sarah D’Alelio (9-6) by rear-naked choke in the third round at the March 11 event at Trinidad Pavilion at Tropicana Las Vegas.

Lee’s suspension, which previously was agreed upon as part of a settlement with the NSAC, is retroactive to the date of her losing effort, which means she’ll be eligible to fight Dec. 11. She must also pay her fine or work out a payment plan prior to getting another Nevada license, pay attorney’s fees from the NSAC proceedings, and provide a clean drug test 30, 15 and three days prior to her next fight in Nevada.

Lee admitted on Twitter she had taken a “fluid pill” before her fight, but denied the use of any performance-enhancing drugs. Today during the hearing, she appeared via teleconference and claimed she obtained several pills from her mother, who “had a history of needing them, and I decided I would try it.”

Asked why she didn’t disclose the diuretics on her pre-fight medical questionnaire, she claimed she was in a hurry signing her documents and neglected to disclose them.

http://mmajunkie.com/?p=195519

Christine Stanley‏ @KnuckleUp125

@AndreaKGBLee I'm free in December. No more Hard Candy from your mom ok?

Andrea Lee‏ @AndreaKGBLee

@KnuckleUp125 @MMAjunkie wow really? Ok sign me up @shanknapp I've been called out

Christine

Sara McMann getting ready to face Jessica Eye on the 29th

WMMA business is pickin up over at WSOF. Please find below the two fighter they recently signed to the promotion

Nayara Hemily 3-3 SW- reported to be making her promotion debut on 30th July

Katherine Roy- FLW yet to make her pro debut

Sunkist1207 -

Sara McMann getting ready to face Jessica Eye on the 29th

That's one strong woman! Phone Post 3.0

Ronda training yesterday

Predictions?

Alexis Dufresne is surprisingly realistic about her position in Bellator’s women’s featherweight division after pulling off the biggest victory of her career with an upset of Marloes Coenen at Bellator 155 earlier this month.

Dufresne (6-2 MMA, 1-0 BMMA) stepped in as an injury replacement for Julia Budd (8-2 MMA, 2-0 BMMA) in a fight meant to decide Bellator’s inaugural women’s 145-pound champion. Once Budd pulled out, however, the promotion changed the fight with Coenen (23-7 MMA, 2-1 BMMA) to a non-title affair.

The call to fight Coenen came with just two weeks to prepare after Dufresne had taken a 16-month layoff from the sport to give birth. Dufresne was five pounds overweight for the fight, which ruffled the feathers of her opponent. But she secured the triangle-armbar victory to join Cristiane “Cyborg” Justino and Miesha Tate as one of the few fighters to beat Coenen, a former Strikeforce champion, since 2009.

Although it was a career-altering win, Dufresne said she knows that missing weight took away some of the luster. What she doesn’t agree with, however, is that her additional weight aided her in the fight. She said she’s insulted by anyone who insinuates it did.

“I was a little over 174 pounds when Bellator called me (to take the fight),” Dufresne told MMAjunkie. “With my body not even being used to cutting anymore, it was quite a challenge getting down. I worked my ass off, I came up a little short, and I’m sorry. I wasn’t 10 pounds over weight, but I hear people making comments that it was the reason I won the fight. I mean, come on. Five pounds it not the reason I won the fight. If anything she was in better shape than me, and I won the fight off my back when the weight wasn’t on her.”

Dufresne said she understands being a target of criticism for missing weight. What didn’t sit well with her, though, she said, was the way Coenen conducted herself from weigh-ins to post-fight. Dufresne said she granted Coenen a favor by stepping in to fight on short notice and didn’t feel any gratitude in return.

“What everybody has to understand is I took this fight in two weeks’ notice so Marloes would have a fight,” Dufresne said. “She was somebody that I respected. I know how it feels to have opponents back out at the last minute after having a full training camp. I knew she had been training for a five-round fight, putting in a lot of work. I wasn’t afraid to back down from a fight.

“I hadn’t fought in over a year. I just had a baby. I got handed probably one of the toughest opponents I could have been handed. (She) was pretty disrespectful at the weigh-ins. I’m not a big fan of people who disrespect others like that. The entire time I maintained my cool. Even after the fight I tried to shake hands and help her up, but she was disrespectful, so there’s not much you can say about somebody like that. There’s no reason for her to act the way she did, disrespect me the way she did. Call me a stepping stone. She talked like I was just going to be a joke that she was going to walk right through. But one of my favorite things to do is prove people wrong.”

Dufresne, 25, certainly proved her doubters – and the oddsmakers – wrong. Despite being pegged as high as a 7-1 underdog, Dufresne wasted no time securing a first-round submission win. She said the result was no fluke and that she’s more than willing to book a rematch in order to prove it.

“I would love a rematch,” Dufresne said. “If people want me to have a rematch with her and make (145 pounds), that’s totally fine. As far as my fighting capability, I think I proved everybody wrong. I showed people what I’m capable of doing on two weeks’ notice after having a baby. I’m ready to show what I’m capable of on a full camp.”

If Dufresne had matchmaking authority, though, she said she wouldn’t book a Coenen rematch. Instead, she would reschedule the matchup between Coenen and Budd for Bellator’s inaugural 145-pound title. Despite the fact Coenen lost decisively to her, she said the legendary female fighter still deserves to compete for a belt.

“I thought the title fight would maybe be her and Julia Budd again since I didn’t make weight, and if that’s what they want to do that’s fine, I understand, and I’ll take another fight and beat that person,” Dufresne said. “I’ll show them I can make the weight. I don’t feel self-entitled to the championship belt yet. I’ve only fought once. If they feel I need to prove I have to make that weight I understand, and I’ll do a fight or two and prove I belong there.”

Dufresne even has her next opponent in mind if it’s not Coenen. She wants to fight Arlene Blencowe (7-5 MMA, 2-1 BMMA), who she was supposed to fight her Bellator debut more than one year ago before Dufresne took a hiatus.

“I did do my best, and I do feel I need to prove to fight fans I can make the weight before I can get that championship belt,” Dufresne said. “What would be the fair thing to do is let Julia and Marloes fight for the title and get me another fight. I want to fight Blencowe. I was supposed to fight her in my Bellator debut before I got pregnant. Nothing personal against her; it’s just unfinished business. I’d never pulled out of a fight, and that was the first. I definitely want that fight next.”

http://mmajunkie.com/?p=195772

Sunkist, in this thread 6 months ago you took the position that the UFC was not "invested" in WMMA and expressed the opinion that Tate would have more career opportunities if she went to Bellator.

In light of the success that Ronda, JJ, Tate, Holly, Paige, Valenta, Nunes and even Cyborg have had for the UFC in the last six months, and in view of the fiasco of Bellator's failed attempt to have its first WMMA title fight, please remain us what your rational was and whether your views have changed. Phone Post 3.0

Lets make a MMMA thread bros Phone Post 3.0

Koga - Sunkist, in this thread 6 months ago you took the position that the UFC was not "invested" in WMMA and expressed the opinion that Tate would have more career opportunities if she went to Bellator.

In light of the success that Ronda, JJ, Tate, Holly, Paige, Valenta, Nunes and even Cyborg have had for the UFC in the last six months, and in view of the fiasco of Bellator's failed attempt to have its first WMMA title fight, please remain us what your rational was and whether your views have changed. Phone Post 3.0

Koga

If you don't mind me asking, With the exception of Cris, How are you measuring the success of the names you mentioned? If the UFC was totally invested in WMMA you And every other forum member would be able to name every single female fighter on the UFC roster. Jessica and Sara M are fighting tomorrow yet how many of the casual fans even know that?

I mentioned that Miesha would do well in Bellator because she was contemplating retirement because the UFC passed her over for the title shot. If you want to quote me, please provide accurate quotes. 

Julia Budd was forced out of the title fight due to an injury. That doesn't mean that Bellator have abandoned plans for the title fight.

Most couldn't name every fighter on the UFC LW roster!

Bellator weren't even going to have that fight on the main card initialy.

I feel some people have unrealistic targets as far as promotion of individual fighters is concerned.

The UFC have female fighters headlining PPV cards; they have only been into WMMA for 3 years.

Given that a lot of fans either plain don't like the womens fights, or just watch for the holy grail of a nip slip, I'd say the girls are getting a fair crack at things.

#UFCVegas weigh-in results: Sara McMann (135.5) vs. Jessica Eye (134.5)