"Wonderboy" Thompsons achilles heel

I love watching this guy fight. He has such an awesome style. I watched some older fights and saw something spectacular. A move, I don't remember ever seeing before. But it was a technique thrown by his opponent, Chris Clements.

I'd post a link, but I don't want the thread to get deleted. The move was pulled off by Chris at 3:48 of round 1. Wonderboy was using his typical, side-facing, open karate style and throwing head kicks.

As Wonderboy throws his kick, Chris (a smaller, stocky fighter with a big reach disadvantage) drops levels and performs a spinning leg sweep like something out of a kungfu movie or Mortal Kombat. He timed it perfectly and it sent Wonderboy to the mat. It was so fucking awesome, I went back and watched it two or three more times. What's amazing is that Wonderboy was kicking with his lead leg, so for the sweep to work, Chris had to be close enough to Thompson to sweep his back leg out from under him. What an awesome technique.

Chris ends up getting TKOd in the second round. Thompson was just too good. But, after Chris threw that sweep successfully, and dropped Wonderboy onto his ass, Thompson did't throw another highkick for the rest of the fight.

So, if any fighter in the future is looking for a away to take away one of the Wonderboys best techniques. Check out that fight. Round 1, 3:48

Nice job picking that up Phone Post 3.0

You're right it is a great move. But you sure do have to be close enough to Wonderboy's kick to pull it off Phone Post 3.0

http://i.imgur.com/No4Zqoo.gif

It worked for Clements but he did not perform the technically correctly. If he had..... Phone Post 3.0

Epic technique but I can't imagine it's something you'd want to spend too much time focusing on. It's not going to knock the guy out and if you don't anticipate the high kick perfectly you're putting yourself in a sketchy position Phone Post 3.0

Ruthless Power>Killer Point Fighter - Epic technique but I can't imagine it's something you'd want to spend too much time focusing on. It's not going to knock the guy out and if you don't anticipate the high kick perfectly you're putting yourself in a sketchy position Phone Post 3.0

I don't know. There was a similar move in Street Fighter and I could beat 4 out of 5 opponents by spamming it consistently.

That's awesome I wonder if that was a part of his training camp or just something in the moment Phone Post 3.0

I've only seen that one other time . The other time was an amateur fight I saw or some event I can't remember . If I remember it correctly that announcer called it a "Chinese leg sweep" but that sounds like something I'd make up . Looks like something out of tekken.

Wonderboy Achilles heel is losing. He is terrible at losing. He hardly ever does it at all. Phone Post 3.0

That'll probably be the only time it will be used successfully against him. Someone found a hole, and I suspect he patched it. Phone Post 3.0

DWray -
Ruthless Power>Killer Point Fighter - Epic technique but I can't imagine it's something you'd want to spend too much time focusing on. It's not going to knock the guy out and if you don't anticipate the high kick perfectly you're putting yourself in a sketchy position Phone Post 3.0

I don't know. There was a similar move in Street Fighter and I could beat 4 out of 5 opponents by spamming it consistently.
Ryu. Jump kick and sweep combo ftw. Throw in a shuriken uppercut every now and then for good measure Phone Post 3.0

The drill sergeant on "Starship Troopers" used the technique to perfection.....

TFK_UGCTT_Sk1tzO420 - That'll probably be the only time it will be used successfully against him. Someone found a hole, and I suspect he patched it. Phone Post 3.0

Considering his background I can't imagine he's unfamiliar with the move.  He probably just didn't expect to see it in MMA.

keithws2 - The drill sergeant on "Starship Troopers" used the technique to perfection.....
Lol, vu Phone Post 3.0

DWray -

Napoleon Dynamite's older brother Kip attempted this against Rex at his trial Rex-Quan-do seminar. Phone Post 3.0

Sweep the leg Phone Post 3.0

How is that a hole? Wonderboy threw the side kick at his face as a counter to the leg kick, which was faked.

It was set up amazingly, don't get me wrong. But that's just something you'd never expect to see in mma.

Kinda like when Anderson caught Chaels body kick in their first fight, Chael couldn't pull his foot back so he turned and rolled away. Anderson stood there and went 'what the fuck?' Phone Post 3.0

Sweet move. I think Maia could be his Achilles heel. Phone Post 3.0