World Jiu Jitsu Champ. Study

Infinity Kimonos? lmao Not interested in ANYthing to do with them.

The 3rd section of the article is up now. Thanks for all the great support from everyone. We really did this because have a deep passion for jiu jitsu, and there was such an overwhelming response we wanted to do it in the greatest depth we could. Your kind words and support have meant alot.

In this section we breakdown the incredible significance of points, and go into some detail about situations that lead to submissions. I hope you enoy.

http://bishopbjj.com/2012/07/02/world-jiu-jitsu-case-study-2-1-points-and-submissions/

Part 4 is up now. It breaks down the most utilized successful passes and sweeps by position and type. It's interesting that passes and sweeps together combined  for 73% of all points scored. It's interesting that the sport of jiu jitsu is largely a battle of guard vs. guard passing isn't it?

Is this a good or bad thing?

http://bishopbjj.com/2012/07/03/world-jiu-jitsu-case-study-section-3-1-part-4/

Hey guys, here is the last article before the final study is released in full. Thanks to everyone for the support.

http://bishopbjj.com/2012/07/05/672/

Awesomely nerdy! I remember reading a similar study of judo techniques. Something like 5 or 6 throws accounted for 90% of ippons.

In Phone Post

aaronlapoi - Great start. Keep in mind that %s can be misleading and they don't always tell you much if there's not a statistically significant difference between them. For example, 60% is not necessarily higher than 40%. Researchers and statisticians know what I'm talking about.

Agreed. While I'm really looking forward to reading this, it seems you are already making lots of inferences to data findings. I'm curious as to what your research background is and what research models you used as a frame? As aaronlapoi pointed out, data itself can be very misleading if you don't use the proper instruments for measurement. Phone Post

In Phone Post

Sub Phone Post

aaronlapoi - Great start. Keep in mind that %s can be misleading and they don't always tell you much if there's not a statistically significant difference between them. For example, 60% is not necessarily higher than 40%. Researchers and statisticians know what I'm talking about.

I am a statistician and I am not sure what you are talking about.

Do you mean statistical robustness? For example, for a small sample one cannot meaningfully distinguish between 30% and 35%?

You can still see general facts and trends. I wouldnt get too technical with the data here...

EazyG - 
aaronlapoi - Great start. Keep in mind that %s can be misleading and they don't always tell you much if there's not a statistically significant difference between them. For example, 60% is not necessarily higher than 40%. Researchers and statisticians know what I'm talking about.

I am a statistician and I am not sure what you are talking about.

Do you mean statistical robustness? For example, for a small sample one cannot meaningfully distinguish between 30% and 35%?

You can still see general facts and trends. I wouldnt get too technical with the data here...

Yeah, I was referring to things like statistical power, threats to external/internal validity, Type I and Type II errors, that type of stuff. For example, without the proper statistics you can't say "Most black belts do such and such", but rather "Most black belts who competed at the 2012 World Championship did such and such at this particular event." Even then you have to be careful about making generalizations since the data could be skewed by a small number of black belts who had a lot of matches and consistently used the same strategy (e.g., pulling guard). But you're right. Things don't need to be that complicated as long as you're careful about how you interpret the data. Once again, not a critique of the OP, just throwing out some things to be mindful of.

The final 18-page study, including our collection methods, will go out to everyone who requested a free copy tomorrow.

The only way to get it is to sign-up to get a copy. Don't worry I'm not gonna do anything devious with your info. It's just an easy way for us to see how many are reading the study.

If you haven't signed up yet. Here's another chance...

http://bishopbjj.com/2012/07/11/full-2012-world-jiu-jitsu-study-launch/

The BJJ community is one of the best in the world, thanks guys!  

Gonna take a while to get through all this.

Yeah, luckily we included lots of graphs and pictures to help

Sub again just in case Phone Post

It's out now. We just sent out close to 1,000 copies!

If you haven't signed up yet, go to BishopBjj.com

If you didn't receive your copy, check your junk-mail, then feel free to e-mail me at bishopbjj@gmail.com

Thanks everyone for all the encouraging e-mails and feedback. The people in BJJ are the best in the world!