World Jiu Jitsu Champ. Study

Hey guys, we just completed our 2012 World Jiu Jitsu Championship case study. It was the largest BJJ study ever conducted, and was commisioned by Infinity Kimonos. This took a lot of time, energy, and expertise to do it right, but it's finally done.

We collected over 1,224 metrics in 90 black belt adult matches and are releasing the results in a 10-part article series on our website.

You can also sign-up on the site to download a full PDF copy of the entire study once the article-series is complete.

I really hope everyone enjoys this. I think it will honestly change jiu jitsu competition forever. It will help everyone evaluate the rules and personal strategey ina new way.

http://bishopbjj.com/2012/06/28/2012-world-jiu-jitsu-case-study-1-1/ 

"The perceived notion by many that submissions are becoming less prevalent is proved to be false."
You can only say that if you compare to previous years.

Is there a link to the full pdf?

it's the perceived notion that submissions occur less than decisions or points when they are equally present. The point is that they are often missed because they occur during earlier rounds in which there is less spectators.

Full pdf will be available after all the articles are published.

Cool, signed up. Phone Post

later

good shit!

Can you do this for the past two Mundials for comparison? I'm sure bushidovids probably has all the vids.

The perceived notion by many that submissions are becoming less prevalent is proved to be false, they are just as likely, or more likely than any other outcome.

Not a logical conclusion. The fact that submissions account for 48% of matches does not mean that they have not become less prevalent. If they were 49% previously (for example), then they have become less prevalent.

I guess the next step is to start with video of 1996 and do every year from then until now. Although there is probably only video of certain matches for the early years, so it will be hard to get a true comparison, but I think it will still help, this kind of research is fantastic. Phone Post

Thanks to all who signed up to get the full copy once it drops. The next section is up now.

This section breaks down how matches started, and how they finished. We show some of the stats as it relates to guard-pulling, takedown, double-guard pulls etc. There is still much more to come. Thanks to everyone for the feedback as well, it helps in making sure the article are written correctly to display the information ina  fundamentally easy way to understand.

http://bishopbjj.com/2012/06/29/world-jiu-jitsu-case-study-1-2/

Was a good read. I would be curious if you could calculate a specific percentage on the people who actually scored the takedown. I know the last chart breaks down who wins depending on what position they start in but of the people who actually scored the takedown how many went on to win. I'm guess a decent percentage but would like to the know the real answer.

Thanks

Subd Phone Post

onyx2002 - Was a good read. I would be curious if you could calculate a specific percentage on the people who actually scored the takedown. I know the last chart breaks down who wins depending on what position they start in but of the people who actually scored the takedown how many went on to win. I'm guess a decent percentage but would like to the know the real answer.

Thanks

Yes, that information including which takedown techniques were most commonly used will all be in some of the coming sections.

sweet

Signed up. Interesting . Wonder what this says about how the rules affect strategy. Phone Post

^ I think it says an awful lot, but I'll let everyone else decide for themselves what that is. When we start getting into how points and advantages affect outcomes I think there will be a lot of different folks with various strong opinions.

These stats are very interesting.  Solid Work!

Thanks Phone Post

Sub Phone Post

Great start. Keep in mind that %s can be misleading and they don't always tell you much if there's not a statistically significant difference between them. For example, 60% is not necessarily higher than 40%. Researchers and statisticians know what I'm talking about.

Sub Phone Post