Worst UFC champion debate cont

I’ve always thought Eddie was a handpicked opponent for Conor to take the title at LW. Management knew Conor was good for business and they let him pick guys that he wanted to fight. He would have fought the winner of Cerrone/RDA (similar to GSP wanting to fight Bisping after he got the title). When the RDA fight fell through, they threw another guy for RDA to fight that Conor wanted, namely Alvarez. That’s why at the time, people had thought that Eddie didn’t even deserve a title shot given his lackluster run in the UFC up to that point.

1 Like

Dave Menne had a pretty forgettable run. A pretty decent fighter by all means. Won the inaugural middleweight title, and lost it in his first defense to Bustamante. Then got blitzed by Baroni and was out the door.

All of this, you guys are debating something that isn’t up for debate in any rational mind. Female is Montano, male is Serra, her and it’s Montano

There’s no argument against that

If you look at it objectively, and consider how they compared to their peers at the time they were competing, I don’t know how we come to any other answer. People keep posting shit on this thread and others about how bad so and so looked in a particular fight, or who they lost the belt to. None of it matters in my opinion. It’s not about one fight, or one bad decision…when you compare them to their peers over their career, how do they compare?

Serra is the only champion who didn’t beat a top 10 guy to earn the title shot, and didn’t beat a top 10 guy after losing the belt. That doesn’t mean he’s a shit fighter, doesn’t mean he’s not skilled. As others have said, Serra is highly skilled, had a great career, but every UFC champion also had a great career. We’re not comparing Serra to bums here, we’re comparing him to the other male UFC champions.

If we remove the fight in which they won the belt, what’s their next biggest win? If we go with Eddie Alvarez like the guy said above…his next biggest win is Gaethje, and then likely Chandler if we’re talking recent history…also had other huge wins earlier in his career. What win does Serra have that is bigger than Gaethje?

3 Likes

This is a perfect breakdown, but unfortunately the MMAth isn’t on your side.

Serra > GSP > Bisping

As you can see, Bisping is the worst and it’s not even close. Got finished by the can Serra KO’d.

1 Like

Did Eddie win or lose a close split to Cerrone too? Anyone saying Eddie or Bisping doesn’t have a clue what they’re watching to be honest. Both absolute warriors who competed at the peak of the sport for a decade or so

Wasn’t close at all, Cerrone beat his ass in his UFC debut.

1 Like

2 Likes

I’ve posted this before on a similar thread a while back…

EDDIE ALVAREZ

sloppiest way to win a title (Conor even said the sloppy boxing Eddie used on RDA is how he knows he will beat him…and he did)

shortest LW title reign

Worst performance, imo, from a defending champ- did nothing right and everything wrong. But talked a big game prior to the event.

Before he won the title- a loss to cowboy and two split decision wins.

After losing the title- 1 NC (which he then lost the rematch) and 1 win over Justin who then used it to improve. but credit where due he won that fight.

Respect to Eddie for all he has done and in real life he’s a complete savage. But in their world, the world of elite savages, I think his record and title reign makes him the worst.

Lol, poor Forrest.

In his defense though, Silva made a lot of fighters look ridiculous in his prime.
Forrest had some decent wins.

It was a good fight, but a clear 29-28 for Cerrone. Eddie won the first round, Donald the last 2.

Walk me through why Serra was more impressive please.

In search of this gif I was watching other gifs of Anderson Silva. You almost forget how good he was in his prime. Dude was living in the matrix.

3 Likes

I have a tough time with Bisping.

Legit top guy for sure but his “wins” vs Silva or Hendo always sit unwell with me.

Is he the worst?

No.

3 Likes

I do see your point to the degree due to the lack of top ten wins but I still think Serra had a better career than Menne.

Down at LW Serra beat Edwards who would go on to become the uncrowned UFC LW champ three years later at a time they had no title though they had the division.

Serra did not beat a top ten guy to get the title shot but he went through a TUF tourny with tough vets to get it.

He also gave Penn, Hughes and Thomas very tough competitive fights even though he came up short with the judges. Carter and GSP were the only fighters to ever finish Serra and he went 1-1 in fights vs both of them.

Serra went out and beat the GOAT WW to win the title. Menne won the MW title because UFC was creating the division and did not have a big talent pool yet. Menne went 1-4 in the UFC and his only win was vs LW Iha.

At WW Serra beat 2x UFC WW title challenger Trigg.

1 Like

He returned later and went 0-2 at WW.
1-4 UFC career.
Menne also won the title by beating a 0-0 UFC fighter at the time who would finish his UFC career 1-3.

1 Like

To be fair to Serra, calling him the worst UFC champion and all, he only got his title-shot due to a special clause which hasn’t been done again since. He got the title-shot by winning a season of TUF. And actually won the title in spectacular fashion. A true Rocky moment for sure.

But without that special clause with regards to his participation on TUF, he doesn’t even sniff a title-shot and he wouldn’t even be in this discussion.

1 Like

Bisping got mangled against Hendo and Silva. I had him losing both of those fights.

3 Likes

I hate WMMA but Carla is far from being the worst champion ever. She might not KO people dead, but she pretty routinely out wrestles and out grapples most chicks she fights.

Montano by default is worst. I used to have de Randamie in the running, but she redeemed herself in the Nunes fight.

And lol at people like Bisping being on the list. The fuck?

2 Likes