Would a 1 point deduction cure eye poke problem?

fuck yeah make it happen

jodienda -
notsobigmike - I'd still like to see one warning for eye pokes or cage grabbing, but after that, point deductions, and definitely a DQ if it ends the fight.

Pride style curved gloves and this would eliminate this problem.
It wouldn't "elminiate the problem" but it would help. Guys need to know its completely unacceptable to poke eyes. I think it'd be a pretty quick transition to less pokes if this was implemented Phone Post 3.0

Why not do both.

Change the gloves and implement the 1 point deduction for eye poke accidental or not.

Losing an eye is not just a career ending for fighters but can also change the way a person live. Phone Post 3.0

Why not both? A point for an eye, AND better gloves. Ones that help with pokes AND breaks.

Warning first, then a point deduction.  Jones would change his method of gauging distance.

And agreed on the Pride gloves.

The Gloves won't change until fighters started losing decisions because they lost points for eye pokes. Phone Post 3.0

8flat - 

Warning first, then a point deduction.  Jones would change his method of gauging distance.

And agreed on the Pride gloves.

It needs to be immediate point deduction.

Here's why.

It affects the fighter that got poked negatively. His eye will tear up, his vision will more then likely become blurrier. He will become apprehensive about coming forward.

it changes the outcome of the fight.

Therefore the point deduction needs to be taken to reflect that.

King Of All Tenors - BELLATOR GLOVES better design Phone Post 3.0

Didn't read the article did you?

"Many have voiced the opinion that the gloves are to blame. But the gloves haven't changed. And when Bellator tried new gloves to lessen the risk of a broken hand, on the second match of the first card to ever use the new gloves, there was an eye poke."

This is literally the dumbest thing I have ever heard in MMA.

Because it's done a fine job of stopping people from kicking the groin. That never happens. 99% of the eye pokes are accidental. Look up accident in a dictionary. This is 1950s logic.

ausgepicht - This is literally the dumbest thing I have ever heard in MMA.

Because it's done a fine job of stopping people from kicking the groin. That never happens. 99% of the eye pokes are accidental. Look up accident in a dictionary. This is 1950s logic.

I could totally be wrong, because I am relying on my (largely Bacardi soaked) memories of PrideFC, but I watched Pride religiously, and can't recall a single stoppage due to eye poke.

If Jonesing someone was as accidental and common as you say than why did it almost never happen in Pride and in earlier UFCs?

Glove design and penalties will greatly reduce 'accidental' eye pokes, sorry.

ausgepicht - This is literally the dumbest thing I have ever heard in MMA.

But it may force people like Jones to close their fucking fingers. If you poke someone in the eye because you were gaging distance with your fingers stretched out it isn't really an accident. It could have been avoided simply by closing your fist.

Why not state across the board that if you poke someone in the eye during a fight then you're ineligible for any bonus (if FOTN 100k to opponent), AND for each poke a further 20% of the fighters purse is handed to opponent Phone Post 3.0

No points taken for unintentionally poking someone. Thats what ref warnings are for. Phone Post 3.0

Dreville79 - Why not state across the board that if you poke someone in the eye during a fight then you're ineligible for any bonus (if FOTN 100k to opponent), AND for each poke a further 20% of the fighters purse is handed to opponent Phone Post 3.0
So guys who earn nothing would be basically fighting for free if an unintentional eye poke occurs? gtfoh Phone Post 3.0

why can't they use gloves like these?

http://www.mmawarehouse.com/revgear_mma_training_glove/rev-1059.html?start=23&cgid=mma-gloves

They seem to train in them.
extend the padding or pre built curve like the Bellator gloves
Boxers range with their fists closed - why can't MMA fighters?
some eye pokes are accidental - but Jon Jones "ranging" at someones face with fingers outstretched!!!
give me a break.
as has been mentioned in other posts - poke someone in the eye once, they ain't going to shoot in on you again which removes one or more of their offensive weapons.
Lose 1 point for 1st poke, 2 points for 2nd poke, hit em where it hurts in the back pocket with bigger fines. What does a couple of $K matter to someone like Jones?

Eyepoke 1: warning, 2: single point deduction, 3: a 2 point deduction, 4: DQ.

They also need to change the gloves.

And for those who say "DQ?!?!?! Wait until you see all the guys start acting then!!!!"

There's a real easy solution. There's this group called an athletic commission, and they have the ability to review anything and declare it a no contest. You catch someone pulling that shit and you throw the fucking book at them.

You get one accidental one, then you need to be more careful or it might cost you a round. Pawing with outstretched fingers isn't the same as an eye gouge but it make an eye gouge much more likely. Phone Post 3.0

why can't the ref warn them when he sees them start to paw with outstretched fingers whether they make contact with the opponent or not?
all they have to say is "keep your fist closed" or "get your fingers away from their face"
if they keep doing it despite the refs warnings, start to deduct points

flip_guard - Why not do both.

Change the gloves and implement the 1 point deduction for eye poke accidental or not.

Losing an eye is not just a career ending for fighters but can also change the way a person live. Phone Post 3.0

I agree, all avenues should be investigated.

Rules, Gloves, even eye protection.

judo spunk - why can't the ref warn them when he sees them start to paw with outstretched fingers whether they make contact with the opponent or not?
all they have to say is "keep your fist closed" or "get your fingers away from their face"
if they keep doing it despite the refs warnings, start to deduct points

I like that idea. The warning comes before any poking and if someone is poked in the eye, then there's an automatic point deduction. If it happens again, DQ.