wouldnt gsp try to strike with jake?

since his strategy is to fight where his opponent poses the least threat, wouldnt he keep on the fight against shields? shields really only poses a threat on the ground, so if this fight happens could this be the first time in a long time we see gsp finish someone?

gsp will beat the fuck out of jake standing and jake wont be able to get it to the ground

BJ should have been a threat on the ground as well, but Georges had no problem taking it there in that fight. He'll keep Jake wherever Jake doesn't want to be at that moment, and will make him look silly striking and on the ground.

Morning Bell - LOL gsp could destroy him on the ground or standing. no contest whatsoever.

Standing for sure, on the ground it should be a tough fight.

Fedors Sweater - BJ should have been a threat on the ground as well, but Georges had no problem taking it there in that fight. He'll keep Jake wherever Jake doesn't want to be at that moment, and will make him look silly striking and on the ground.

true but part of the reason he could control BJ so well was because he's much stronger and BJ's cardio is shit, especially at welterweight. if this fight did hit the ground (which gsp wouldnt let happen imo)jake is real threat

M Bison - The only time GSP stands with a guy is if his stand-up is that of a seven-year old (JON FITCH) so yeah he probably will..and then he'll still get KO'ed.

lol what? dude come on

Morning Bell - LOL gsp could destroy him on the ground or standing. no contest whatsoever.

No way man. I am a GSP fan - I am hoping he keeps it standing, Jake could pull off just about anything on the ground - sweep, whatever.

jake has that smothering style of air-tight bjj, i agree, gsp does not want to risk the ground game here

This will be a five round destruction of Shields. I would love to see GSP finish it early but Shields is actually someone who would be able to survive on his own merits...not just GSP playing it safe.

Try? He'd succeed. He'd also likely have his way with Shields on the ground if he so chose. Shields has a great top game but off his back against a smothering guy like GSP, he's going to have trouble pulling off a submission or sweep. Either way, if Shields can't put GSP on his back, he'd be in for a long night.

^^ Yep. The few times he gets put on his back he manages to tie up and scramble back to his feet. He even did it against Alves with ease right after he tore his groin.

RicePicker - since his strategy is to fight where his opponent poses the least threat, wouldnt he keep on the fight against shields? shields really only poses a threat on the ground, so if this fight happens could this be the first time in a long time we see gsp finish someone?

You right,  shields has the edge in bjj but is WAY BEHIND on the feet

Man Rape, Shields is good, GSP is great!!!

Sagiv Lapkin -  GSP will wreck him.

MolsonMuscles - 
Sagiv Lapkin -  GSP will wreck him.

Jake has never been a huge threat off his back, at least not nearly as much as he is on top. I would look for GSP to see if he can take him down. He has wrestled against the top wrestlers in the UFC right now, don't see why Shields would be any different.

Shields will be GSP's greatest challenge. This will be a great fight.

uhfelons - gsp will beat the fuck out of jake standing and jake wont be able to get it to the ground

/thread.

He would definitely try to keep the fight standing. As good as GSP is on the ground that's also Jakes bread n butter. That's why I think it's such an interesting match-up, because there aren't many guys GSP wouldn't want to take down to beat at WW.

GSP is too scared to commit to a 100% striking plan against anyone

Shields will destroy him