Wrestling Instructionals for BJJ??

Sorry if this has been asked before.

Any recommendations for wrestling instructionals to augment a bjj game?

I'm looking into the Jackson/Vanarsdale series but would like feedback first.

Thanks

Consider Gholars set as well. He has two different ones. Javier Vazquez has a set as well, but I haven't seen that one.

i have the jackson/van arsdale set. it's my only wrestling instructional, so i can't really compare it to anything. i like it though, shows basic techniques in-depth.

www.wrestlingplan.com

Richard Salomone hast the best wrestling instructionals on the market. www.wrestlingplan.com

ttt

Andes, email me at PIKEadk at aol

ttt

I know that wrestling is so difficult. It needs lot of strengh, cardio and technique. We dont train wrestling so much here at our gim. I imagine is the same at the rest of the schools, isnt it? do you think that i can reach a good level in wrestling watching instructionals? i think that if you are not in a wrestling class where you can roll, its not very practical

I train bjj and judo. Bandwidth, what are you doing that does not require strength, cardio and technique?

You need a guy that is great at both wrestling and bjj to teach you live. Instructionals are a waste of time for trying to integrate wrestling and bjj.

^^^^^I disagree highly. A friend of mine who consistently hits High crotches on everyone learned it from Salamone videos and even one of our guys thats a high school wrestler gave him props.

"^^^^^I disagree highly. A friend of mine who consistently hits High crotches on everyone learned it from Salamone videos and even one of our guys thats a high school wrestler gave him props. "

I hear what your saying and there are exceptions. The thing is, with wrestling you have to work really hard in practice to be great, In bjj/sub grappling you need to focus more on technique.

You need someone with experience in both in my opinion. Most Instructionals are done by just wrestlers who may have a little experience in bjj/sub grappling or someone good in bjj/sub grappling with little or no Wrestling experience.

I think they can be beneficial in certain circumstances, but mostly they are just a waste of $$$

This is just my Opinion though.

Add judo instead.

I would consider taking a wrestling class.

That will be the best way to incorporate wrestling into your BJJ game.

salamone

unless your a no-gi trainer (nothing wrong with that)...go with judo. think about it...you wear the same uniform. doubles and singles are much easier to stop with the gi...especially if you are wise to your opponent's shot...and it is so much easier to get the belt grip...

and all that aggression resulting in "ugly" judo (bjj in a gi) leave you well-unbalanced and ready to be thrown against a well-trained judoka who is at home in the kimono...peace...john

"The thing is, with wrestling you have to work really hard in practice to be great, In bjj/sub grappling you need to focus more on technique."

Wrong!

Wrestling is just as technical as Bjj BUT wrestling technique is designed and meant to be used against other wrestlers in competition. So wrestlers actually do focus on technique, it just happens alot of their techniques are specialized for wrestling.

Wrestling is more than takedowns and throws. It has alot of escapes and reversal which alot of people, who don't wrestle or know anything about wrestling, are clueless about.

You can progress in wrestling fairly quickly. This is because wrestling actually has practices (where you're drilling continously the things you learn) instead of classes where you spend most of the time just learning techniques and rarely practice them (while in class).

Hey Andes,

I have the Carl Adams takedowns dvd - old school but I find it useful, I got it to work on my single and double leg takedown.

Cheers,

Steve

m.g

I am very interested in what are you saying.

One time ago, out teacher said us that wrestling training is a bit hard.

Anyway, i still say that you can learn by your own with dvds and practise technique with a partner (and you say that is more or less the same than in a classic wrestling class). But its the same than in Bjj. You can learn the same way, but what give you better level is rolling constantly in a class with people that are better than you and with different levels ("blue to black belt" in wrestling).

Anyway, doing specific weight lifts for wrestling, learn from a good dvd and practise it in class is better than doing nothing :-).