WSOF becomes the Professional Fighters League

Officially renamed the PFL. First season starts next year.

http://www.mmafighting.com/2017/4/19/15355554/wsof-becomes-professional-fighters-league-inaugural-season-set-to-kick-off-next-year?utm_campaign=mmafighting

anything is better than the world series of fighting...

that was a stupid ass name.

PFL isn't much better but it is.

I'm thinking about opening a market thinking about calling it

"A place to come get food"

the lack of imagination in mma sometimes.

How is that promotion still able to pay employees?

this will fail miserably. you CANNOT treat a sport like MMA the same as a team sport with playoffs etc.

If the league is choosing fights soley on merit, which is the true way to find the best fighters (which is not what the ufc does) they won't get a big audience becauyse many of the top players are going to be wrestlers and not strikers and people aren't happy unless a stand and wang is in effect. (although this is getting slightly better)

This won't last long at all

People have been saying that about WSOF for years. And they are still here.

Both are ridiculously bad names.

"Professional Fighters League" sounds like a name contrived by somebody who's first language isn't English.

No company is coming anywhere close to threatening the UFC any time soon. The best they can hope for is to have Bellator looking into their rearview mirror.

I actually like the name and the approach they want to take. Hope they do well

I would only care if they were one night tournaments.

cause one night tourneys make the world a better place.

WSOF lost over $20 million from what I was told by one of the 5-10 guys that would actually know. The owner was a fn asshole too so hopefully he got paid jack shit on the sale. He's one person I'm glad Ali f'd over.

Tournaments with good marketing can be really exciting. See events in Japan. Even Dream was exciting imo. But how many fights can they schedule in a 10 month regular season? Is there a legal limit? The fighters will have short training camps and fight injured?

Think about what UFC stands for. It's stupid, always has been. The name of the promotion doesn't mean shit. Like Pride, in the US people think of gayness when that word is used. Strikeforce was an excellent show. It made me think of Rick Martell and Tito Santana.

So now your organization name starts with "pee". Great choice there.

I would be stunned if WSOF only lost $20 mil.

ABCTT_HeHitsMeBecauseHeLovesMe - "Professional Fighters League" sounds like a name contrived by somebody who's first language isn't English.

sounds more like a club than a promotion

If they have the same people running the promotion they will

fail miserably.

Should've went with Superbowl or even better World Cup of Fighting

Sigh.  Prize fighting just isnt a League style sport.  

Maybe consistent ratings are what they are after.  Low but consistent.  I dunno.

Bojack Horseman - anything is better than the world series of fighting...

that was a stupid ass name.

PFL isn't much better but it is.

I'm thinking about opening a market thinking about calling it

"A place to come get food"

the lack of imagination in mma sometimes.
"A Place to Come Get Food" would be an awesome name for a market!