WTF is wrong with Kali Culture and Conditioning?

"For the most part, the actual practice of your martial art is enough conditioning to for the average Joe.

Yet, there is "life" to be concern with."

I am in complete agreement with you. In fact, when I am busy, my martial arts training is the only physical training I do, and it is enough. Separate S&C workouts, yoga, etc. are luxuries that I indulge in when I can.

But please go back to the first post in this thread. It specifically discusses those instances when MA training is not enough.

John

"For the most part, the actual practice of your martial art is enough conditioning to for the average Joe."

It depends on people's goals, and what their personal definition of conditioning is.

Beats running on a treadmill. Or, then again, maybe not.

I think Bruce Lee, MMA and the SBG guys really brought out the fact that conditioning IS part of your martial arts technique/training.

General fitness such as healthy flexibility (although what does this really mean), ROM, Anaerobic endurance, aerobic endurance, decent lactic threshold, recovery times etc are an important part of your MA or MMA development. Alot of that is included in MMA/BJJ training as i'm sure alot of you know.

Even Raymond Floro, who is one of the best weapons (not to mention his empty hands is pretty damn good to, but he is very modest about it) guys in the world works on his conditioning and is looking in great shape now. This is LIVE weapons and empty hands stuff not the hubud stuff mind u.

The whole knife to the throat not needing fitness is ridiculous. For an effective knife defense or attack you are going to need the initial anaerobic burst, not to mention the backup u need to compensate for the adrenal dump. Then u need recovery to escape and what if he takes the knife off you? What if he has mates? What if the blade brakes in him? What if it gets slippery and u cant hold onto it?

Now this is crazy talk bit i think its pretty logical.

Even the BJJ guys who are chubby are usually in great shape and fulfill the above requirements.

ttt

"The whole knife to the throat not needing fitness is ridiculous. For an effective knife defense or attack you are going to need the initial anaerobic burst, not to mention the backup u need to compensate for the adrenal dump. Then u need recovery to escape and what if he takes the knife off you? What if he has mates? What if the blade brakes in him? What if it gets slippery and u cant hold onto it?"

I'm pretty sure Calbert was joking.

lol Woops sorry Calbert!

LOL! I guess my sarcasm didn't come across too well.

get in shape Calbert, SHIT!

"The whole knife to the throat not needing fitness is ridiculous. For an effective knife defense or attack you are going to need the initial anaerobic burst, not to mention the backup u need to compensate for the adrenal dump. Then u need recovery to escape and what if he takes the knife off you? What if he has mates? What if the blade brakes in him? What if it gets slippery and u cant hold onto it?"

Valid points Lemon. Conditioning is definitely a factor in a live altercation. But I can assure you, me and Roy Harris (on separate occasions) have gone with a 60 year old fat, out of shape FMA master and he pretty much would've killed us so many times had it been real live blades. Not to mention, I got submitted standing up so many times. (I'm a BJJ blue belt under Renzo Gracie/John Danaher).

I run 4 miles 4x a day, do sprints, burpees, stair training, plyometrics and I train Muay Thai 4-5 x a week.

Siciliano - 

"I run 4 miles 4x a day" ? ???????

Dont you mean a week??? When do you do anything else?

"I run 4 miles 4x a day"

sounds about right imo...for the JKD forum! :)

Years ago, around 1988, I was packing on more and more extra weight. (Fat!) Dan Inosanto took me aside, and pointed out that I should really start watching my diet. He would often say that the first basic of fighting is conditioning, because without it, you cannot be effective. And, at the age of 73, he is looking very fit. Thankfully, I am now forty pounds lighter than I was twenty years ago, and have much better cardio. I thank Tuhon Inosanto for pointing out the health issue, and expecting me to act upon it.

Sorry for the typo. hehehe.

FB,

I know, Master Christopher Ricketts is very out of shape. Thing is, his kicks and punches are still way better than mine. Faster too. :-(

Sisco T - the filipino diet does breed major health concerns(hypertension, diabetes,etc.), but i think when you're taba it's just because you REALLY like to eat.

Francisco

I doubt it. Seriously, the American fastfood diet is way unhealthier than the Filipino diet. This is coming from a chef and someone who studied nutrition.

Even Raymond Floro, who is one of the best weapons (not to mention his empty hands is pretty damn good to, but he is very modest about it) guys in the world works on his conditioning and is looking in great shape now. This is LIVE weapons and empty hands stuff not the hubud stuff mind u.

Uncle Ray's in shape??? Good god. Congrats pare! Tagay kita isang San Miguel beer at Sisig. :D

''I doubt it. Seriously, the American fastfood diet is way unhealthier than the Filipino diet. This is coming from a chef and someone who studied nutrition.''

exactly, and this is the reason this country is the fattest in the world. just as the the filipino diet is a major contributing factor to why MANY filipinos become diabetic, hypertensive, and have heart disease. this coming from someone who works in health care, who is filipino american, who's father had heart disease, who's grandmother died of complications from diabetes, and who's mother is recently diagnosed with diabetes & hypertension.

Francisco

I knew one family that had two totally different kids.  They were both brothers but one was large from the start, the other was a stick.  They both ate the same junk food day in and day out and continued to stay polar opposites.  The skinny one is now a professional model, still eats like crap and the other one is just as large as they were when they were younger.  I'm believing more and more that large people are genetically predispositioned to being large and vice versa.

I also have a student who was 160 lbs. in 11th grade, and between 12th grade and the end of college he managed to pack on two hundred pounds of muscle and fat.  I believe him in that he didn't do steroids and he is adamant that the weight just started sticking to him and before he knew it he was 360 lbs.  He didn't start lifting until he was around 250 lbs and he is now a rather successful power lifter.  Again, I blame genetics for that one.  I proved this to myself when I found out that one half of his family is built exactly like him and weren't big in their teens.

Food in the Philippine restaurants tends to be way overcooked and salty,but the fresh market veggies and fruit is amazing.Difficult finding good tomatoes and cheap onions,believe it or not,which is most of my diet.

What restaurant? Definitely not ours . . .

gahe is no fatty