WTF is wrong with Kali Culture and Conditioning?

Hi Phauna,

Have you had the opportunity to train with Ray Floro? Having first hand experience with him you will sweat and you will spar...

Steve L.

www.Bujinkandojo.net

Ryan, I don't want to learn another pattern as long as I live. However I'll probably have to appease him sometimes. Quite frankly I now think that the way you train is far ahead in importance to what you train. I don't care if I learn any 'techniques' per se, I'd rather just practise distancing, timing, footwork, etc. against real resistance, ie sparring.

If I could do an experiment with two classes, one in which you spar all the time and get taught no techniques, and one in which you do tappy drills and one step sparring without resistance but no sparring, then I would bet on the sparring class.

Steven, Ray is quite far from me, I live in Botany and I have to go across the city to get there. I'll check him out eventually but I can't see myself making such a big trip often.

I read somewhere that the way Antonio Illustrisimo trained his students who really wanted to learn how to fight was simply to spar with them and stop every once in a while to give pointers, etc.

Makes a lot of sense since that's how most people learn something involving hand-eye coordination.

Hi Phauna,

Yeah Ray may be some distance from you, but set something up to go and meet him. You will not regret it!

Sparring should be utilized as a tool in your training regime. By this I mean there are a variety on methods you can use in sparring to enhance particular weaknesses in your skill sets: Example:

Defensive skill enhancement - counter only sparring
Introduction to contact -Padded stick sparring
Accuracy enhancement -Target specific sparring
etc, etc.

Steve L.
www.Bujinkandojo.net

Does Ray even have classes? He has no info about them on his website. I don't see much use in going to see him for one private, when I know nothing. I emailed him once, long ago, and he never replied. Maybe he just does seminars.

Yes, I do do different types of sparring like that, and also hand, hand and foot, just head, and all target sparring. Also trying to start in the clinch sometimes, and trying to exclusively enter while partner defends. Ground is impossible because the others know nothing about it.