WWE Bill Goldberg considered MMA career

'My Stand Up Skills Woulda Played Well'

WWE superstar Bill Goldberg admits he thought about pursuing an MMA career back in the day -- but ultimately went with pro wrestling because the money was better.

... but the whole thing makes ya wonder -- how would Goldberg have fared in the Octagon?!

Probably pretty well.

"If you know anything about my background when it comes to MMA, I had one of largest MMA gyms in the country back in the late '90s. That was a dream of mine."

Goldberg says he trained alongside UFC legends like Randy Couture and Mark Coleman when they were in their prime.

https://www.tmz.com/2021/01/30/bill-goldberg-mma-royal-rumble-wwe/

Goldberg Life|WWE Bill Goldberg Family ,Wife and Son 5 Fast Facts You Need  to Know|by Wrestlers Tube | by Wrestlers Tube | Medium

Bill Goldberg: Return to WWE possible after Dolph Ziggler match - Sports  Illustrated

The WWE legend also raved about Poirier -- and told us why he's still inspired by the UFC star ... who's one of the most humble and hardworking athletes he knows.

Yeah,he owned a gym with MMA fighter Tim Catalfo and trained with him.He had a little scuffle with Chris Jericho back stage.He would have probably been as successful as Batista.

World will be a better place when he passes

crowbar - 

Yeah,he owned a gym with MMA fighter Tim Catalfo and trained with him.He had a little scuffle with Chris Jericho back stage.He would have probably been as successful as Batista.

What was the name of the gym?

Captain Canuck - 
crowbar - 

I don`t know but it was in Atlanta.

He owned a muay thai gym in Oceanside as well I believe.

Captain Canuck - 
crowbar - 

Obaki iirc.

but.....he didn't

Bill Goldberg was actually LOSING his backstage scuffle against the much smaller Chris Jericho, before it got broken up. Jericho had trained with the Hart family in Calgary, and they had legit wrestling skills, so Jericho probably learned some stuff from them.

I am not saying Bill Goldberg was not a tough athletic guy, because he was, but he had a lot to learn to have a chance to be successful in MMA.

1 Like

Big Goldberg is obviously a big, long time fan of MMA. He based his pro wrestling persona on Dan Severn, Ken Shamrock, and Mark Coleman.

Bill Goldberg played football in high school and college, and he also played in the NFL, but I do not think that he had an amateur wrestling background, or any kind of martial arts background, and he only trained in martial arts after he had started doing pro wrestling.

There obviously was not as much money in MMA as there is today, so I can see why he stuck to pro wrestling.

It was the Obake Fight School in Atlanta, with Tim “Obake” Catalfo, who did fight inn MMA, most notably losing to Tom Erickson in PRIDE if memory serves me correct.

I recall when Japanese pro wrestler, Yuji Nagata, was in WCW, he did some training at the Obake Fight School with Catalfo and Goldberg. Nagata went on to lose to Federal Emelianenko and Mirko Filipovic, but no shame in that considering they were two of the top guys in the sport at that time.

Thank you.

ShanTheMan - 

He owned a muay thai gym in Oceanside as well I believe.

Yessir 

1 Like

Goldberg is another one of those guys that would rather have talked about how they could do it than actually do it. The only time he got into some shit backstage he got front face locked and guillotined by Chris Jericho. I love him in wrestling though; best spear in the business. Recently, Matt Riddle has been trolling him and Goldberg got upset about it but there was nothing he could really do since Riddle would've beat the shit out of him.

Didn’t Catalfo have a run-in with Don Frye back in the day or am I imagining things?

theshooter - Bill Goldberg was actually LOSING his backstage scuffle against the much smaller Chris Jericho, before it got broken up. Jericho had trained with the Hart family in Calgary, and they had legit wrestling skills, so Jericho probably learned some stuff from them. I am not saying Bill Goldberg was not a tough athletic guy, because he was, but he had a lot to learn to have a chance to be successful in MMA.-

Jericho said in an interview that he went to guard after getting the guillotine after seeing that in a martial arts magazine. He didn’t actually refer to it as the guard, though.

1 Like