XFC - Jan 31 poster (studio shots)

fledge ( P ) Pronunciation Key (flj)
v. fledged, fledg·ing, fledg·es
v. tr.
To take care of (a young bird) until it is ready to fly.
To cover with or as if with feathers.
To provide (an arrow) with feathers.

we need more feathers?

lmao

Is it definite (or as definite as these things get) that the UFC is gone from Main Event forever? If so, that sucks huge!

fledgling - A young or inexperienced person.
adj.
New and untried or inexperienced: a fledgling enterprise.

fledging - To cover with or as if with feathers

I'm glad I spelt it correctly - we don't need any more feathers in MMA!

Phew good thing thats cleared up. I thought "fledging" was something Cobras and COOPER did with straws! ;)

Justin

i would call MMA a tiny tiny tiny tiny spec in the world of sport. although we would all love to see it make the big time, it is a long long long way away. it seems bigger to us cause we are involved and read the forum and the website. but i ask you to get your parents or grandparents to name an MMA fighter and they will say what is MMA?????

ask em who david beckham, tiger woods, serena williams, or michael schumacher is and they will know.

For what it's worth, I agree that the shots used in this poster are misleading.

Justin, maybe you could get a good stock of generic "action" shots for the Fight Club posters, while sticking with the "personality" shots for the XFC posters (as I think you've said you have high quality photos of your regular fighters ?)

But what would I know.

As for MMA being a small sport, and Mainevent dumping it, MMA is a small sport. We are enthusiasts, and can sometimes forget that very few people even know that our beloved sport exists !!

I doubt Mainevent will be showing and MMA again anytime soon. To use Austar as an example (as I had these figures provided) they had a buy rate of about 300 people out of 430,000 total subscribers, for their last UFC (UFC44 I think)

Foxtel claim 1,000,000 subs, and their in the the city, so maybe they sold 2000 PPV's (a guess, and probably on the high side) and Optus really don't come into it much, but lets give them 300 as well there's 2600 total buys at what $40 is it ?? so $104,000 total revenue, that they need to buy the right sfrom UFC for, buy satellite time for, promote, have staff in the call centres to sell the PPV etc etc.

Not a lot of money to be made...

As much as I hate to say it, don't hold your breath for MMA on Mainevent anytime soon...

Tank

(Damn Spelling)
Edited again, because I was a bit heavy handed with zero's when describing Foxtels numbers - Thanks Cadmus

Foxtel claims 100 million subscribers? No wonder you think Optus rates a poor second!

wow australia has a population of 20,000,000 and foxtel had 100,000,000 of them subscribed!!!!!!

i take my hat off to ziggy swalazkie, Kerry packer, and rupert murdoch!!!

Yeah, yeah, thanks for your constructive comments, it's a big help !!

:-)

Of course, if subscription TV had that sort of penetration maybe we'd see more MMA on pay per view...

Tank

I just want to weigh in on the poster issue.

I don't know if this had anything to do with the decision to use the bio shots, rather than action shots, but.....

I actually ASKED Justin to experiment with doing it without action shots. I want people to come see me fight. I also want to see a show in Gladstone.

Our council and industry are particularly sensitive in a political sense. I have permission to run posters with these guys, but can't have "graphically violent pictures" or I won't be able to use them.

That's around 20000 people who might see these posters because Justin did something a little different.

As for using fighters who aren't on the card, well, those of you who know me will be aware I'm a great body double for Tony Green (*grabs jolly rolling stomach to prevent wobbles while laughing*), but with an amateur show, we all can't have promo shots taken.

I'm guessing the quality of the photos used for the poster is crucial ??

The amateur guys couldn't just provide a photo at a given resolution ?

Justin ?

Tank

HAHAHAHA.....

Theres a SHW tourney. You really want SHW photos? *Scratches SHW belly*

Krakkerz, I was talking in general, so you keep your belly photos to yourself (and I'll do the same, so no one gets hurt)

:-)

Tank

Just had a look at the poster. Awesome shots, but I have to agree that it is misleading. Anyone who looks at that would assume Tony is fighting.
Totally differant than action shots of fighters.
But what do I know about anything..........
-Dave