Josh Melichar def Dan Wheatly 1st rd KO

Travis Fulton def Mark Long 2nd rd choke

Shrome Blatcher def Aaron Pierce 2nd rd

Eric Tix def Brandon Quigley (yes 2nd fight) 1st rd KO

Jami Klair def Token Bell 1st rd tko

Tommy Lee def (hometown) Saul Mitchell judges decision

Daryl Guthmiller vs Nick Thompson judges draw

Joey Clark vs Kyle Jensen judges draw

I want to thank all the fighters and people who helped out.

The controversy,

Pat, the very first time we met was my first show as XKK. There was a problem that night with the judges and the reffing. It was a backwoods little piss ant show with mostly green guys. Since then we have taken measures to ensure, little show or big show, that the same problems wouldn't happen again. We always bring in a judge from out of state and make sure the local judges for the evening have no affiliation(school, team, management, etc.). The judges I had for the evening I have complete confidence in, even though one was replaced that day. You can disagree with them, as I can and do at times, but the call is their call. As for the ref, Daryl Guthmiller is my normal ref so I tried to get an out of stater but with the Iowa Challenge going on it was difficult to find one from my normal sources. I have seen Sam Morgan ref many times and he has always been fair. I didn't see the breakup but Jeff Paul said it was not a good call (as he does sometimes during a fight). As for the grabbing of the cage; I personnally will never point a guy for that unless after a swat and a verbal warning in succession he does not let go. If that makes me wrong then I am wrong but I agree with the ref about that. All I can do is correct the mistakes from happening in the future which I will do.

To the fighters in question Nick T, Kyle J, and Kieth W; I have spoken with all of you and believe we are cool. What matters to me is will all these guys come back and fight for XKK.

Nick Gamst

XKK

Sorry it took me so long but my boys have been missing their Dad after three straight weeks of fights

Good post Nick.

What was your opinion of the Jensen-Clark fight?

My offer still stands has well,if you ever need a judge i'll do it for you.I no longer train so i have no affiliations,i have judged before so if you ever need a replacement or a new judge let me know.

Great night of fights BTW.

Nick (Gamst) thanks for the response and I respect your position in regards to the judges, however I will stand to disagree with you. One of the judges had the first round 30/30. Impossible. Thompson dominated that round. He landed combinations at will and stopped every takedown attempt, all whilst sustaining no damage himself. I respect you and your organization, but I question your statement about the stand up and not seeing it. You walked over to me immediately after the fight and said you thought it was BS. As for the grabbing the cage, if that's what the rules are then say as much in the meeting. Do not tell the fighters and seconds that you will be warned once verbally and a point will be deducted.
Either way, Thompson stated to me the next day there would have been no controversy, if he woulda finished Guthmiller. I agree we don't train for decisions.

All that said, I as well as my team stand by what I said to you and Jeff. Thanks for the show and I wish you guys luck with future events.

Great post Pat.

I was helping out with the play by play with 2 other guys and we were all puzzled by the stand up from the mount. I guess we saw the Clark fight a little closer than most people who thought Jensen won easily. Looking back, I would agree that Thompson won.

Can anyone tell me why Playboy Sanders didn't fight Tix? I don't know if it was announced or not - where we were located we couldn't hear a word the announcer was saying.

I don't think I have ever been to a show where the crowd was that into the fights. It was great to see.

I was in 2nd row. Playboy was out warming up in the cage before the night started, so he had to have been scheduled to fight still.

A couple of the HW fighters were talking trash about him as well.

Lucky for him he didn't fight. Tix would have wrecked him.

Yup, Tix steam-rolled his opponent.

how do i go about getting video of the night's fights?

I think the DVD should be out in a couple weeks. I'm sure if you talked to the promoters they could tell you how to get a copy. I'm going to go ahead and apologize now for some of the stupid things I said during the play by play - it was my first time. Thanks.

Dont worry about it,i sucked ass the first time i commintated.I only did it a few times and it did get better/easier every time so keep at it.

Thanks dudley - I will for sure keep at it if given the chance. I had a blast doing it.

i guarentee it can't be worse than the AFC DVD's commentary.

If you are fighting a top team guy you could KO him and the commentators would still think he was winning the fight. When I fought Emyr Bussade I broke his orbital socket with a punch and he dropped to the ground because of it. About three seconds after that Din says that Emyr is really winning the stand up.

"I think with a crowd full of Clark supporters the judges felt a draw was the best idea."

the judges "felt"? holy shit i fukn HATE when even the cattle of a CROWD can determine the dec. of a fight.. fucking LAME

kidpresentable - I feel as if I was very impartial at least. I don't train or anything so I didn't care who won any of the fights. They had me help because I've done comedy and I'm a huge fight fan. What stunk is that they announced me as a comedian so they kept expecting me to crack jokes the whole time, and I really just wanted to help call the fights. So I ended up making some lame jokes here and there. Also there were 3 of us and the other 2 I could tell were bummed that I was there because they were used to working together. They were cool to me and everything, but I felt like I was getting in the way of them doing their thing.

Just a few thoughts on judging and reffing. I have done both quite a bit, think both are difficult and important jobs, and would always prefer reffing over judging.

I, personally, think that a promotion should require their judges to attend the rules meetings with the fighters. This is especially true if the judge or ref is new to the particular promotion or works for more than one promotion. If they are there at the rules (fighters') meeting, then everyone hears the same thing, everyone is on the same page, and all questions can be cleared up at that time.

Promotions vary in what each one likes to emphasize most, i.e. takedowns, striking, positioning, sub attempts, damage, control, etc. I have worked for shows where it was made clear that if one fighter was winning a round, and at the end of the round the other fighter landed a shot that drew blood or showed damage, the fighter who landed that shot should get the round. Other shows I have worked would want the other fighter to get the round. It can get confusing. To alleviate some of that, I respectfully suggest that the promotion hold some training for judges they want to work their shows. Same for refs with standups, etc. I think everyone would benefit from that.

Sometime the judge may be on the wrong side of the ring to see some significant parts of the action, especially when the fight is on the ground. In this case, he/she can only do the best they can at the time and hope the judge or judges who had a better vantage point got it right.

If a judge or a ref have any connections to either fighter, they should not work that particular fight. Even if they can (and some can) be impartial, it just looks better if any appearance of conflict of interest is eliminated. Everyone pretty much knows who everyone else is, so just knowing the fighter should not be a problem, but if they are from the same team, same school, hang out together all the time, are related, etc., they should let someone else do the job. One of my students was judging the last DFC and one of the main event fighters was a person he had trained back in the beginning of his career. My student was unsure what he should do, but felt it may be best if he had someone else judge that fight. He did, and I think he made a good choice.

I wasn't at the show in question so I can offer no opinion on the fights in question. Working as a judge is only easy if the fight is stopped. Then you have the best seat in the house and no controversy. If it is even remotely close, there will always be differing opinions on who should have gotten the nod. Refs catch hell if they stand them up too soon, leave them down too long, stop to check a cut, etc.

I have made my mistakes, and I think everyone does occasionally. You just hate it when it happens because the fighters are putting it all on the line and deserve the best we can give them. Hopefully we get it right as much as possible, and when we miss it, we figure out what we did wrong and correct it.

Sorry for being so long - winded.

Respectfully:

Fred

Judging for MMA should be universal, excepting for the variances that would have to be made for the differences between fighting in a cage or in a ring.

Hopefully there will come a time when the athletic commissions, nation wide, are in control ... and making sure that very clearly defined sets of criteria is being followed when judging at every single MMA event.

bqkungfu - I agree, I'm sure the same thing wouldn't happen in a match where both fighters were fresh. I wasn't knocking Quigley or even Playboy, it was more of a compliment to Tix. He looked great for only having 1 pro fight. Quigley/Tix 2 sounds good to me. And does anybody know what happened to Playboy anyway?