Y do so many people not realise BJJ ain't charity

I always hear people bitching about prices and comparing it to other activities that are priced lower.

Guess what? This ain't a non for profit charity. Gyms gotta keep the lights on and pay the staff. No one is getting rich running one gym. Most are scraping by. So shut you're mouth about what BJJ "should" cost. Phone Post 3.0

Got it. Mouth shut. Phone Post 3.0

My lips are sealed Phone Post 3.0

Is this about my GoFundMe, #OssBlog, or desire to bring the Priceline "name your price" policy to BJJ gyms?

I don't think you understand... I really really want to do jiu-jitsu... So bad!

EvilGumby - Is this about my GoFundMe, #OssBlog, or desire to bring the Priceline "name your price" policy to BJJ gyms?
It's the "I want to do it but but " crowd. Phone Post 3.0

Baek Doo San - Ok, but at least in my area, it's about 4 times as mush as to train boxing, and about twice as much as most of the other martial arts. Why? Karate gyms need to keep their lights on too and seem to do so effectively charging half as much.
Karate appeals to a far broader audience and can pack people in a far smaller area Phone Post 3.0

Baek Doo San - Ok, but at least in my area, it's about 4 times as mush as to train boxing, and about twice as much as most of the other martial arts. Why? Karate gyms need to keep their lights on too and seem to do so effectively charging half as much.
It's the sheer amount of people that will sign up. Sure, if there were 500 5-12 year olds signing up for bjj you could drop the prices. But that's not reality. Most bjj gyms have less then half of the members that a karate gym will bring in. Phone Post 3.0

From what I've seen karate and Tod places in my area charge about the same as bjj. Phone Post 3.0

TheBearStare - From what I've seen karate and Tod places in my area charge about the same as bjj. Phone Post 3.0
Tod's been giving me mates rates ever since that thing with his retarded half-sister Phone Post 3.0

damn

Ironically, many non-profit "charities" are doing a lot better than scraping by.

I was just having a conversation with my son about this. People who know I began training with my current instructor since he opened his doors several years ago ask :"Do you train for free?". I get a little offended. Like they expect me to take advantage of my position or something. While I do pay half the rate because I assist with classes and devote long rolls to the younger guys who compete and are fine tuning their game, I feel obligated to pay something. That's always been the agreement.

The school has grown tremendously, but there is still a lease to pay, utilities, supplies, insurance, not to mention the instructors time and knowledge he imparts. The place is always acquiring something new, aside from tripling in square footage size - which increases rent. The simple response is "I do pay a fee, and I'm glad I do, because I probably wouldn't appreciate the opportunity as much and would find reasons to skip classes".

I work in a field where "free family counseling" was offered to our "clients", but research and experience showed that when you charge nothing, your targeted customers don't place value on it and they won't utilize your service, no matter how valuable it actually is. Charge something and people literally become more invested in it and likely will be more committed to what you have to offer.

Totally agree Phone Post 3.0

That one guy who gives you a sob story and you let train for free (or for a nominal fee) WLL completely flake out within 2 weeks. Never fails.

circusmonkey - I was just having a conversation with my son about this. People who know I began training with my current instructor since he opened his doors several years ago ask :"Do you train for free?". I get a little offended. Like they expect me to take advantage of my position or something. While I do pay half the rate because I assist with classes and devote long rolls to the younger guys who compete and are fine tuning their game, I feel obligated to pay something. That's always been the agreement.

The school has grown tremendously, but there is still a lease to pay, utilities, supplies, insurance, not to mention the instructors time and knowledge he imparts. The place is always acquiring something new, aside from tripling in square footage size - which increases rent. The simple response is "I do pay a fee, and I'm glad I do, because I probably wouldn't appreciate the opportunity as much and would find reasons to skip classes".

I work in a field where "free family counseling" was offered to our "clients", but research and experience showed that when you charge nothing, your targeted customers don't place value on it and they won't utilize your service, no matter how valuable it actually is. Charge something and people literally become more invested in it and likely will be more committed to what you have to offer.

Very interesting concept. I can see how that would be true, however silly it is.

"I work in a field where "free family counseling" was offered to our "clients", but research and experience showed that when you charge nothing, your targeted customers don't place value on it and they won't utilize your service, no matter how valuable it actually is. Charge something and people literally become more invested in it and likely will be more committed to what you have to offer."

Great point. When I opened my academy 3 years ago, I offered two of my friends (who already trained) free tuition, as well as my 3 bro/sis in laws....none of them trained more than a couple of times.

So....you aren't on Groupon? Or you are? Do you offer a student discount? I'm planning on enrolling in ITT Tech next month, so I'm basically a student. You my coach now?

My gym is very much not for profit, i rent a room at a YMCA, charge enough to cover the rent and utilities only and also don't charge kids from poor families who otherwise couldn't afford it

I'm all for people making money from bjj, but for me this is and always will just be a hobby Phone Post 3.0

We are nonprofit gym and have relatively low yearly cost to train. Each year we elect sort of governing body and when you belong to it you don't need to pay for the yearly fee.

I've still payed it each year as I feel the things I'm doing are just for good for everyone and since I have a day job it's not so much. If I would be still studying then obviously I would take advantage on this. Phone Post 3.0