Y do so many people not realise BJJ ain't charity

Lots of kids go to judo due to cost. Whole families can train for the cost of 1 jiujitsu monthly fee. Does anyone really want to see judo costing what jiujitsu does?

The value of judo is in its organization, worldwide arena and access for what amounts to pennies for the average person or family.

shen -
FlowWithTheGo - But if you guys let me train for free I'll tell everyone about this place. I'll check in online everyday. Dude you guys are going to blow up. Yeah and competing, I wanna compete, how do I do that? Phone Post 3.0

Dude, I'm gonna fight MMA and I could wear your patch in the ring. --That would really help you guys!

Do people really try that?? Why wouldn't you wear your team's colours into the ring? I don't understand this. Phone Post 3.0

@King trav you have no idea the calibur of knuckleheads that come in wanting to train mma. Phone Post 3.0

circusmonkey - <blockquote>Setree - <span id='userPost54176794' class='User-267174'>This free thing is really working for Judo here in th the US.</span></blockquote><br /> I just saw a video titled "Why Judo is on the decline in the U.S." A few reasons were opined: It is difficult to learn, the late 60's and late 70's (and beyond) popularity of striking arts -thanks to Hollywood- overshadowed grappling arts. Judo never really got to take full root in American pop culture, then rising popularity of BJJ and a few other incidentals took way from its appeal. The primary remedy according to this long-time sensei was to begin charging fees in order to place a tangible value on the art. I feel it is an interesting proposition. I'm not a socio-economics professor, so who knows, nothing else is reviving it. Why not try and market it a little more commercially, it didn't hurt Karate or BJJ.

lol as a judo black belt who has gotten to train w some good guys, let me just say that the long time sensei has no idea wtf he is talking about. Hell two of the biggest programs in the US are led by Jimmy Pedro and Jason Morris. Both have commercial schools. You don't see a good deal of Olympians coming out of the YMCA and still training in those places, its a myth that a LOT of old timers are still in love with. It's as delusional as some in the South who think Gone w the Wind is a accurate depiction of the old time south, its laughably bad.

Hunter V - 
circusmonkey - <blockquote>Setree - <span id='userPost54176794' class='User-267174'>This free thing is really working for Judo here in th the US.</span></blockquote><br /> I just saw a video titled "Why Judo is on the decline in the U.S." A few reasons were opined: It is difficult to learn, the late 60's and late 70's (and beyond) popularity of striking arts -thanks to Hollywood- overshadowed grappling arts. Judo never really got to take full root in American pop culture, then rising popularity of BJJ and a few other incidentals took way from its appeal. The primary remedy according to this long-time sensei was to begin charging fees in order to place a tangible value on the art. I feel it is an interesting proposition. I'm not a socio-economics professor, so who knows, nothing else is reviving it. Why not try and market it a little more commercially, it didn't hurt Karate or BJJ.

lol as a judo black belt who has gotten to train w some good guys, let me just say that the long time sensei has no idea wtf he is talking about. Hell two of the biggest programs in the US are led by Jimmy Pedro and Jason Morris. Both have commercial schools. You don't see a good deal of Olympians coming out of the YMCA and still training in those places, its a myth that a LOT of old timers are still in love with. It's as delusional as some in the South who think Gone w the Wind is a accurate depiction of the old time south, its laughably bad.

I'm not sure if you misunderstood or I misunderstood circusmonkey's post, but I believe he's saying that making the transition towards gyms that are profit driven would help the sport which I think you're basically agreeing with

Oh crap you are right, I completely misread that. I am blaming not enough sleep and WAY too much running around this weekend.

Thanks False Crack and Hunter V; Yes that's exactly what I'm saying: Put a dollar value on Judo, and charge people like everyone else- and more to CUO' original point: Stop being a charity already! We are not in Jigoro Kano's Japan anymore (may the great master and invvovator rest in peace). Judo is awesome, I tried training it for five years with marginal results I felt.

checkuroil - I always hear people bitching about prices and comparing it to other activities that are priced lower.

Guess what? This ain't a non for profit charity. Gyms gotta keep the lights on and pay the staff. No one is getting rich running one gym. Most are scraping by. So shut you're mouth about what BJJ "should" cost. Phone Post 3.0
So true Phone Post 3.0

One of the hinges I'm noticing about people in the teenage-30 age bracket these days is they expect things for free. The sense of entitlement is mind boggling. Phone Post 3.0

Its fascinating how the idiots think things should be cheap as hell for them and its a hassle for THEM to have to pay their fair share.

People suck, sometimes. And the younger generation (I'm 29, this includes me, lol) has some serious entitlement issues that are obvious to see from many social movements (the whole "occupy" bullshit? In my area it was all hipster-types or women's studies majors complaining that their literature degrees didn't give then any job skills even though they cost 50K that they borrowed to get, and they're too "good" to work the jobs they are qualified for).

That said, I wish more gyms had come once or twice a week rates; if you're a father with 3 kids in baseball and limited time to train, i don't think its unreasonable to ask if since you can only come Saturday mornings if there's not a way to pay $75 dollars a month instead of 150. Most of the martial arts that have an easier time staying afloat either have lots of blue/white collar adults paying part time, or they have tons of kids coming in. If you don't offer family rates you will probably never get the "whole family comes in together and trains for years" type of customers, and that's who paid the rent at all the other schools I trained at before I started BJJ. Phone Post 3.0

Seul - People suck, sometimes. And the younger generation (I'm 29, this includes me, lol) has some serious entitlement issues that are obvious to see from many social movements (the whole "occupy" bullshit? In my area it was all hipster-types or women's studies majors complaining that their literature degrees didn't give then any job skills even though they cost 50K that they borrowed to get, and they're too "good" to work the jobs they are qualified for).

That said, I wish more gyms had come once or twice a week rates; if you're a father with 3 kids in baseball and limited time to train, i don't think its unreasonable to ask if since you can only come Saturday mornings if there's not a way to pay $75 dollars a month instead of 150. Most of the martial arts that have an easier time staying afloat either have lots of blue/white collar adults paying part time, or they have tons of kids coming in. If you don't offer family rates you will probably never get the "whole family comes in together and trains for years" type of customers, and that's who paid the rent at all the other schools I trained at before I started BJJ. Phone Post 3.0

Our gym has that rate

2 classes a week - $99
4 - $139
unlimited $169

Family rate is $250 a month unlimited, doesn't matter how many people. Fitness gym included in these rates.

Also, I just want to say you're a complete dick if you're an adult who is able bodied...and you have a go fund me.

Even if you're a teen, go mow some freaking lawns or wash dogs.

^^^thats really cool, especially the flat-fee family rate. I'm really hoping that when my daughter and/or second kid (wife and I want another in the next year or two) are older that I can convince them to try grappling of some sort, but fuck if I can afford $450 a month to have us all training together, lol (if the pricing attitude is $150 a month/per person, no negotiations, my few is my fee and fuck you if you can't afford it). Phone Post 3.0