Yet Another Counter To X Pass Counter

Nice grip counter.

Sub for comprehensive x pass tip Phone Post

LOL... You just posted the counter that I mentioned in your previous X Pass thread.

So you can't do the X-pass when your opponent grips that sleeve?

Sorry, thats retarded. Its such a common grip.

You wanna know what's retarded? Guys that try to infer that someone said something that was never said. Is it impossible to hit it with that simple grip? No, nothing is impossible, but when someone executes the technique correctly it would be tough. Sorry if your game ain't to the point where you can understand holdyerground, you keep practicing.   

you mean to tell me that there's a counter to this pass? And a counter to the counter?! You know what would blow my mind...if there was a counter to the counter of the counter to the pass! Oh jiu jitsu, why do you always give me solutions that have counters?

Great stuff guys, thanks for sharing. Love the competition example clip as well! Phone Post

butthurt

I love the x-pass, but, what do you do when you enter looking for the x-pass and your opponent grabs your ankle and starts playing dlr guard? Or just stalls by holding the ankle generally?

Stubjj844 - I love the x-pass, but, what do you do when you enter looking for the x-pass and your opponent grabs your ankle and starts playing dlr guard? Or just stalls by holding the ankle generally?

Good observation and good question. The grip on the ankle does become  problematic and it must be dealt with, as it will stymie your movement to pass. I'll put up a couple techniques here in the next couple of days dealing with this exat issue. 

^^^ lots of possibilities. If he is putting the dlr on your right leg
1. you could try to step past his right knee. Push his left (dlr) leg to the mat with your right shin. Sit on his right hip. Use your body to push his left arm across his neck and take his back.

2. If he had his leg leg hooked under your right thigh, you need to relieve that. Change your right hand from lapel grip to grip on his dlr leg pants. Turn away from him, which unwraps his hand from your ankle Take a giant step and yank your foot away. As you turn back towards him, switch the pants grip to your other (ie left) hand and pass to the side that had the dlr grip.

Those 2 options have more detail to them, but that's the overview of a couple of things that you could do.

Stubjj844 - I love the x-pass, but, what do you do when you enter looking for the x-pass and your opponent grabs your ankle and starts playing dlr guard? Or just stalls by holding the ankle generally?

smash pass towards that ankle or clear the ankle and kneeslide

- basically turn your foot and knee out and smash
or
- turn your foot dramatically in and kick free across their butt and kneeslide

Judo Scott - 

smash pass towards that ankle or clear the ankle and kneeslide

- basically turn your foot and knee out and smash
or
- turn your foot dramatically in and kick free across their butt and kneeslide

The smash pass that you are talking about is pretty much the possibility #1 that I described. Except I was trying to step through some of the details so that you don't get caught in things like reverse dlr or several other things.

4lar5

JRockwell - Great stuff guys, thanks for sharing. Love the competition example clip as well! Phone Post

This Phone Post

The X Pass is set up, but your opponent grabs your ankle. This momentarily shuts down movement in the direction of the pass. This technique will kill the ankle grip and allow you to pass the guard.