Your go to takedown for self defense?

Just curious what your number 1 takedown would be in a self defense/street altercation ?

2 Likes

Probably the Savage 42?

2 Likes

When I was younger it was a double leg but it always left me with a bloody knee and torn jeans. Now it’s a clinch and inside or outside trip. If I need to double leg I will and I will finish it but I’d rather clinch and trip. That said you better be whooping my ass for me to take you down standing.

10 Likes

My entire BJJ self-defense curriculum is a streamlined, no bullsh!t system based around three simple steps:

1. Defend the grab or strike

2. Throw them with Hane Makikomi

3. Get to Safety.

3 Likes

I would like to point out that I have a further refined self defense art than Shen.

Step 1- never leave your home

That is all.

3 Likes

Lucky for you, it sounds like you’ve never been a victim of domestic violence.

Unfortunately for me, I have been forced to utilize this survival strategy against three different women,( not including my mother, so, four women technically). When threatened, I had to throw them, then flee.

Hasn’t been easy but I’m a D.V. survivor.

6 Likes

I have another simplified system for your issue.

1. Move out
2 Likes

Same for me. But now I’m not an explosive 25 year old and that shit hurts more these days.

Now my go to is clinch and do some Greco type body lock or trip. Back up plan from clinch is 2 on 1 (watch the punch) to get access to their side/leg and drop a bit for the single. Still easier than shooting a double from the outside these days.

5 Likes

What specifically would you like body lock/trip wise?

If I’m feeling fancy I try a fake hip throw and switch back to the inside trip. Or inside trip to Osotogari. Most of the time I do a high clinch and shot put the arm and get their back and either do the sit takedown or drive them forward. Or the old classic back bend from a low clinch.

3 Likes

I started to post that but realized I wasn’t being asked lol. Most people fold.

2 Likes

Haha!
Ya, if I find myself doing the low clinch it’s usually the first one I try. Simple and effective. But I usually go for a high clinch almost every time so I don’t find myself there much.

All the takedowns I do/teach are off the clinch. I don’t teach any shots from distance. I emphasize the bodylock takedown, single leg, double leg, and a few trips. We’ll do some other takedowns too, but they are not emphasized --they’re more for informational purposes, so that students are familiar with them.

Everything we do is VERY gentle. I find that’s critical. I teach mostly older students. If takedowns are gentle, students will do them --and they will do a bunch of reps. If they’re not gentle, many/most people will start avoiding doing takedowns and coming up with excuses why they can’t practice them.

I also TRY to not teach any takedowns where a knee hits the ground (this, for self-defense reasons). Though, sometimes, I’ll still teach one with caveats.

10 Likes

Train Judo/wrestling

1 Like

Very informative, thanks.

5 Likes

No particular Tokui waza
I’ll flow with the go

3 Likes

Clinch to throw by to rear body lock. Mat return.

1 Like

Head and arm throw/lateral drop hybrid

2 Likes

Running in fast, pull rear guard, fall back into rear naked choke.

Kind of like Brad Pitt in the first scene of Troy…only without the sword.

…ok, I’m obviously joking.

But I did do this to a guy once who told me I couldn’t get the roll of 20’s out of his hand – in a relatively friendly environment.
It was in front of a bunch of people and they were all impressed as hell like I was a ninja or some shit.
The guy I did it too was pissed.
I guess I hurt his pride.

2 Likes

Slam GIF by Ridiculousness

9 Likes