Your school have a curriculum?

Ok so bit of a frat.

My coach is trying to install a very specific curriculum to our classes. Problem is he only teaches MAYBE once a fortnight. For the last 3 years a group of blues, purples and Browns have been taking the classes.

For the ease of eveyone involved we made a year planner. 52 weeks of positions. Eg DLR week 22 and DLR Passing week 23.

This has been working well because it keeps everyone at the club on the same page as far as positions but gives them the chance to teach a technique from that position they do well from that position or have researched. We have a beginners class on Monday and the position of the week is taught at a very basic level as the new guys get a good understanding of the position.

The guy that owns our school is also very self defence orientated so we have a self defence class on Thursday. We only have one class a day on each day of the week.

Now our coach wants to install a six month mirrored curriculum in which we are only aloud to teach set techniques. Some of these techniques include mount retention for a whole week. And then butterfly, X guard, SLX AND passing in one week. This makes zero sense to me. We don't have enough new people or enough classes to run a beginners program. I can definetly see how one would be needed if you had a beginners program tho. It seems to me that this is an almost TKD learn by numbers approach to Jiu jitsu. Are we over reacting?? How does your school work the curriculum? Phone Post 3.0

This all sounds like he's taking advantage of the lower belts, who are probably eager to teach for nothing in return. Realizing this "system" works for him, he's now implementing a long term plan to, in my opinion, place his school on an even more "automatic pilot" setting. I don't think he deserves his students. Lots of practicioners dream of having their own school. Once the honeymoon is over, where the heart truly lies wil become self-evident.

This ^ Phone Post 3.0

We have our own curriculum. I do ask students to help teach but they are also working on their stuff at the same time. And I teach 99.9% of the classes only gone when I'm sick. Phone Post 3.0

The implementation of a formal curriculum is a step towards professionalising his hobby /business. U even said u don't have many new white belts to learn, why? Is it because he runs a backyard school? A lot of people rag on gb and claim it's a mcdojo. But if u actually stand back and look at all the formal systems in place then u would truly understand from a biddies perspective what it takes to run a business, and not just a garage school
I've seen my school turn from being a group of guys rolling on shared karate mats to a professional school with a network of 10+ other gb schools in nsw, many with student numbers over 200.
I no longer train as much now, but as a business person, I respect the gb model. I was initially resistant to the formal curriculum but at the end of the day, I turn up to roll, which is all I do now. Learning new stuff comes from watching comps and asking others class techs rarely add much unless u are a complete newb Phone Post 3.0

The few schools that I know make a good six-figures yearly, ALL have specific curriculums.

Yeah I am thinking that he is trying to go down that route. Coupled with the fact that he is pretty intent on self defence being the only form of Jiu jitsu. In this new curriculum we have weeks dedicated to the "Gracie Combatives". I guess I'm wondering now with you guys if your progression took a hit at all? We are a small club and all like different things. I think it's kinda unfair to the white belt that likes spider that he has to learn that in one week coupled with dlr, rdl and lasso. Phone Post 3.0

Gracie barra is a 16 week curriculum

ozjiujitsu - Yeah I am thinking that he is trying to go down that route. Coupled with the fact that he is pretty intent on self defence being the only form of Jiu jitsu. In this new curriculum we have weeks dedicated to the "Gracie Combatives". I guess I'm wondering now with you guys if your progression took a hit at all? We are a small club and all like different things. I think it's kinda unfair to the white belt that likes spider that he has to learn that in one week coupled with dlr, rdl and lasso. Phone Post 3.0
Tbh, having started my training at a small club where there was maybe 10 on the mat, to now where the student base is well over 300 and running multiracial classes each and every day. I would pick the professionally run full time school every time.
As far as your progression taking a hit, u need to get out of the mindset that change is bad. The only thing that is limiting your progress is training at a small backyard gym. More training partners, Greater exposure to different games. Bigger gym network, the ability to train with different instructors.
Maybe u need to move on with your training and find a bigger better gym Phone Post 3.0

I have a core movement based curriculum that we do during a drill section of class

We set a side 15 to 20 min early in class as a part of warmup. Everyone is at different points. So the guys still learning it play a game of simon. First day armbars, 2nd day armbars then kimura/guillotine/hip bump drill, etc.

The advanced students are free to drill what they want.

I started that as an experiment 8 years ago and still love it.

New people get some regular time every practice to drill basics consistently. Advanced guys can focus on whatever is important to them at the moment or flow.

That frees me to teach technique of the night and not be bound to anything without hurting the beginners.

I think a rigid structure outside of a beginners only class is kind of horrible. Phone Post 3.0

when it comes to beginners, its fine to have a set in stone curriculum. They need that as guidance as sorry, at that level you have no idea wtf you need (as what you want shouldn't matter in all honesty). Now if its affecting the advanced class that can be another matter, but for your beginners having a nice laid out structure is critical to maximizing skill and retention.

White to blue on a set curriculum.  There is a vocabulary of movements and techniques you need to learn.

Blue to purple has more range and options, but it's still a lot of learning techniques to fill in blanks. It's also the beginning of getting good in some specific areas.

Beyond that, new technique learning is at a minimum, but there is still much direction as to which areas are developed in what order.  Sequencing matters when it comes to effective development.  Also, there is much more personal freedom in which techniques or sub-areas are developed, but it still follows the most sensible path.

Bottom line for OP - beginners should be separate so they can get a specific curriculum.  Intermediates should be training areas in an order, even if different people do different things in each area.