20 Year Aikido Black Belt found how Aikido works in real life

1 Like

Basically he found that the Aikido he learned was useful not in jujitsu or MMA but in armed fights with the Dog brothers.

4 Likes

I work with a guy who is some kind of “50th degree black belt.” He’s been doing it for less than five years and is a true believer. I don’t fuck with him just let him believe because it makes him happy.

He figures my BJJ wouldn’t help me because an expert like himself would break bones before I had a chance to “get on him” lol.

I see no harm because he’s an old dude and isn’t going to get in a real fight and get hurt but dammit I would love to double leg him hard on his back just to give him some perspective

13 Likes

We used to share a shed style gym with a tkd school around 12 years ago. Their head instructor was a total nerd and seemed like he was doing kids gradings every other week. There was always a big pile of colourful belts sitting in the corner that he gave out and he used to talk about how being a high level tkd black belt gave him full confidence in scary situations

Our bjj coach had to tell the boys to stop taking the piss out of them. Delusions like this aikido guy always remind me of that place

3 Likes

Reminds me of delusional bjj guys who thought so highly of their art that they thought a bjj blue belt could beat Mike Tyson in his prime.

Lol at all these cultists.

3 Likes

Armed grappling practice:

First off: Props to Icy Mike for expanding his horizons!

We had a Nidan (2nd degree) in Aikido train BJJ until Blue Belt and several others who just lasted a class or two.

The Nidan couldn’t get even ONE f-ing wrist lock on anybody, other white belts… nobody. Months of him trying to wrist lock everyone from the Bottom of Side Control and the Bottom of Mount and inside other people’s guard. No success.

I told him he had to stop trying to use Aikido in BJJ. I told him, “once you have a solid “base” in BJJ then you can try to apply Aikido wrist-locks.” --Knowing damn well most won’t work then either-- but at least in the meantime he would learn some basic grappling.

My twin did Aikido for 5 years and I did it for about 18 months, so I do have some experience with it. Overall, it’s probably the most useless “grappling” style in the world. --If you can call it ‘grappling’. There are a few little things that you could learn from Aikido, but the bang for your buck you get (functional skill wise) is terrible.

9 Likes

Imagine wasting 20 years on that dog shit

7 Likes

In for later

what the fuck did u just say?!?
Gi Joe GIF

10 Likes

Aikido is the most worthless martial art lol.

3 Likes

It’s usually a giveaway when they do the over pronunciation of every martial art…

3 Likes

I sat through all that just to find out he turns his aikido into into a weapons self defense art in which he can’t stop from being stabbed. This guy is totally an aikido guy.

3 Likes

Also, only an Aikido person would think THAT constitutes pressure testing their art. To an Aikido guy, pressure testing is going 40%. That’s their trial by fire.

I once took a day long “knife defense seminar” (FMA derived combatives) that was hosted by a Tai Chi Club at a university.

It sounds like I’m making a joke, but when I did the move we were just taught–along with my Tai Chi club partner-- he went, “WHOA! WHOA!” (like “slow it down”). I went less than full speed. But he was so used to moving like a Turtle, just practicing a martial arts move even somewhat near normal speed was a literal shock to his system. … It was a long day.

2 Likes

He would break your bones before you could react

Never underestimate your opponent

I know that you have a lot of experience, but never say never.

I am not a BB in Aikido, and I wristlock people all time.

I wristlocked a BBJ purple once. Never rolled with a brown or black.

They work. The secret IMHO is the entry. Not the finish.

1 Like

Aikido guys do generally have flawless ukemi. I will give them that. They’re that much more apt to survive that part of a beating.

2 Likes

80% of an aikido class is either doing ukemi drills or doing it while practicing techniques.

It’s like tumbling classes for adults.

2 Likes

And you get to wear cool mc hammer pants.

I didn’t say ‘never’… everything works, everything fails.

I use wrist locks on all belts, but I can do it because of BJJ, not JJJ, Aikido or Hapkido. Those arts don’t give you a practical delivery system to make wrist locks work while rolling because most wrist locks simply DON’T work very well on resisting opponents, especially standing.

Students never ask me, “Hey how do I get out of wrist locks?” Because they simply aren’t a big problem for most students. Instinct is often enough for students to get out of most wrist locks. There are simple, specific counters to wrist locks that are good to know, but most students don’t seem to feel like they need them. Partly because, in BJJ, most of the time you’re wrist locked, you’re already screwed; it’s USUALLY an option among four other submissions --like when in an Omoplata or Kimura situation. We have all heard a BJJ teacher say, “From here you can do this, you can do this or your can just wrist lock them… whatever”. The wrist lock itself was not a factor in how you got caught in that “game over” type situation. The wrist lock is like an “add-on”. We use Omoplatas & Kimuras to get into wrist locks, we don’t use wrist locks to get into Omoplatas & Kimuras

There’s a reason the “Mao de Vaca” /Cow Hoof /wrist hyperflexion wrist lock accounts for probably 9/10 wrist-locks seen in BJJ. It’s practical. --Its also not the kind of wrist lock you most often see in the other martial arts. Those tend to be more the Ikkyo, Nikkyo & Sankyo type wrist locks.

FWIW, if someone has my back I do have a sneaky, little “Sankyo” style wrist-lock that I enjoy using in sparring, but most successful wrist locks pulled off in BJJ involve controlling the wrist AND elbow and also involve some level of positional body control AND also take place on the ground. While most wrist locks taught in the other arts, like Aikido, do NOT control the elbow or body first, nor do they take place on the ground. That’s why most experts from wrist lock heavy styles like Aikido, Hapkido & Japanese Jujitsu have little success rolling against even lower level BJJ people. They can’t make it work. They don’t have a practical delivery system to get to the submission.

So yeah, ‘never say never’, but never say never is also not a very good fight strategy.

1 Like