20 Year Aikido Black Belt found how Aikido works in real life

episode 8 bullshit GIF by RuPaul's Drag Race

3 Likes

LOL, lame.

I know a few people that would disagree with that characterization.

You love the backhanded insult.

After 35 years of non-stop involvement in MA I think that I have enough experience.

No one art is a ā€œsolutionā€ to all situations.

I think that is sad that you are that jaded.

Aikido is basically drunken Sambo

1 Like

Itā€™s DTWM 2.0

Iā€™ve studied some Small-Circle and Hapkido. I donā€™t have high ranks, only dabbled here and there. Let me tell you those wrist and finger locks works in a grappling match. Every time I grappled with a wrestler or a BJJā€™er, I would use some of those techniques and they never knew what hit them. They often tell me in a patient tone not to try that again because it fucking hurt.

Perhaps Bagua, Hung Gar, and CLF has crappy joint locks, but donā€™t lump them all on the same boat. Some of those locks are quite painful and could cause permanent damage.

Even drunken SAMBO is more practical than some Aikido techniques.

1 Like

Did he create his own MA system?

I didnā€™t say, that one art is a ā€˜solutionā€™ to anything. Iā€™ve never said anything like that in my life.

So, yeah, donā€™t address or try to refute anything substantive that I posted, just go for some lame attempt at character assassination. I wasnā€™t trying to ā€˜backhand insultā€™ you. Thatā€™s my bad. I should have been clearer: I just genuinely donā€™t think you know WTF youā€™re talking about --at all-- when it comes to this stuff.

If you want to play with Bagua & Hsing I & Chin Na and live in a fantasy world, no one is gonna stop you, but donā€™t expect me to play along.

If there is anyone that scares experienced wrestlers & BJJ guys, itā€™s people who kinda studied a little in systems that emphasize complex standing joint locks.

Sometimes after class, when itā€™s just a few Black Belts and maybe the wrestling coach all sitting around, talking, weā€™ll let our guard down and honestly ask each other what we would REALLY do if sh!t ever went sideways and a guy who dabbled in Hapkido or Small Circle JJ ever really went after us. No one ever has any good answers. Itā€™s a very scary feeling.

Sh!t like that will keep you at night.

4 Likes

The only point of reference we have are early ufc where people had never heard of bjj or understood ground fighting.

Royce did amazing in the early UFC. But he was no average blue belt. He was hand picked by the family to represent them (regardless of the fact that he was not the family champion). So he was a black beltā€¦ and probably a pretty good one.

And even Royce nearly got his shit pushed in by Kimo. Kimo was just a massive ball of rage and power with no formal skillset (lol at him being a tkd bb). Thank god that guy had a ponytail or the result of the fight could have ended differently.

So if you think an average blue belt that you grab from a school today could go back in time and fight tysonā€¦ somehow topple over a man as powerful and athletic as tyson just by lazily pulling guard. Go ahead.

I donā€™t doubt a bjj blue belt can tap tyson in a bjj match. But in mma I donā€™t even see them successfully bringing him to the ground. Especially not pulling guard.

I guess we will never know.

That live sparring is as nonsensical as the rest, as neither knows how to stab someone. Give a felt tip pen to some Filipino martial arts guy, and then try Aikido.

It damn well better!!!

No wrist is safe when Iā€™m around.

But what unarmed martial art is effective against a FIlipino martial arts guy with a knife? When you keep this in mind, it puts Aikido and all other martial artsā€™ effectiveness (or ineffectiveness) into perspective

Iā€™m not sure if FMA has been proven to be effective. Was it ever tested? By whom? When? Who says?

Iā€™ve talked to a few bouncers who say they use aikido a lot in their jobs - joint locks and that to control wild drunk guys

because bouncers work in groups. So thereā€™s the answer: aikido works in groups of aikido practitioners.

Iā€™ve talked to a few pro fighter who say they use taichi a lot in their fights --punches & kicks and that to knock opponents out.

I dunno karate but I know ker crazy.

Letā€™s simplify: a trained man with a knife against an unarmed man. Thatā€™s been proven to be effective. I donā€™t think if the knife attacks are Filipino specific that a knife suddenly becomes ineffective.