Oh, Jesus.

3 Likes

stop praying. this isnā€™t church

Donā€™t laugh, this is him.

2 Likes

What the fuck is happening in here?

2 Likes

He was my top student.

Thatā€™s what Iā€™m saying. Most are doing club level judo in addition. Itā€™s mostly nerds whoā€™d rather argue about what a throw is called than actually going out and doing hard sparring.

Yeah, and Carlson said the opposite and his students kicked ass.

They kicked ass in spite of constant randori. They could spar once a week and still kick ass.

When I was training for competition, I used to spar once or twice a week. We spent most of the week drilling on the pads. And I STILL WON MY MATCH!!

You donā€™t need to spar EVERYDAY or even that often unless youā€™re preparing for a contest.

Yeah I agree with that. Most of the brain damage fighters get is from sparring too much.

Sergio Martinez, MW boxing champ only sparred 1x a week for his fights and he beat some monsters in the ring. And he still looks and talks like a champ.

Keep in mind, Prime Tyson had no clue about BJJ. If the blue belt knows what heā€™s doing, heā€™s going to pull guard and Tyson will be armbarred in a whiff as he tries to go for the ground and pound.

ā€œā€¦heā€™s going to pull guardā€¦ā€. Then everything went black for the blue belt.

We were talking very specifically about Jiu Jitsu & grappling, until InCongneto conflated it with striking.

There are hundreds & hundreds more techniques in BJJ & grappling than there are in boxing. Also, grappling training doesnā€™t cause brain damage, therefore in grappling ā€œsparringā€ is done a lot more than it is usually in boxing.

There are no pads to hit in BJJ, no heavy bag, no reflex bag, etc you NEED another live person to drill & roll with. In boxing you can spend a lot of training time with proxies.

Apples & oranges.

1 Like

I went to a fighting school, thatā€™s why. We would spar 3 to 5 times a week when preparing for a fight. Otherwise, it was just once a week. But we did a lot of drills on the pads, etc. I believe thatā€™s all I needed to stay sharp.

You are underestimating how strong, fast, and athletic Tyson was in his prime. He was no slouch. if the BJJā€™er was a black belt and a world champion, then Tyson would lose. A blue belt wouldnā€™t have much for Tyson.

What an insightful take on thingsā€¦

So --if I have this straight-- a prime Tyson was really good you sayā€¦?

And Blue Belt may not be able to beat a prime Mike Tysonā€¦?

Hmmmmā€¦ Youā€™ve certainly given us all a lot to think about.

What is your point?

I just think that none of us on this forum ever realized that Mike Tyson was good in his prime OR that maybe a guy who casually takes BJJ lessons for a year or two MIGHT not be able to easily defeat him in a fight.

Iā€™m just thanking you for sharing your knowledge with us.

1 Like

Obviously. Sarcasm noted and ignored.

Using the description ā€œlockā€ in wristlock is misleading. Most manipulations of the wrist are not locks, they are meant to be breaks.

People get confused because they see people flying through the air and assume that it happened as a result of the manipulation applied to the wrist. That would be an incorrect observation. This is taking place because it it the safe way to practice the mechanics without anyone getting injured.

The description of this family of skills should be called wrist breaks. The intention is not to lock the wrist. The intention is to break the arm. The Chinese term is Chin Na. Study some Bagua and Hsing I.

A wristlock is rarer and more of a compression thing instead of twisting.
One is snap no tap and the other allows for slower application. Controlled enough to allow a tap or do damage.

Making a distinction between a ā€œWrist lockā€ & ā€œWrist breakā€ is like making a distinction between a ā€œLeft Hookā€ & a ā€œLeft Hook Knockout Punchā€

I have studied China Na (for a few years in Hung Gar & Choy Lee Fut). In fact there is also a lot of --specifically-- Chin -Na added into Danzan Ryu Jujitsu, by Okazaki, the founder who famously also studied Kung Fu w/ Sifu Wo Chung. I studied that style for about 6 years & got my BB.

I learned a LOT from studying Chin Na. I learned that --like most any other standing joint locking ā€œsystemsā€ out there-- it is just not very workable in a fight. --Itā€™s fun & interesting. Itā€™s just not a good solution against real-world violence.

Look at knitting. Knitting is a great activity while sitting at home on a couch. But try to Knit while white water rafting; Itā€™s just not gonna happen. Knitting is just not suited to being done while going over rapids in a raft. Period. Same with Chin Na or ANY standing joint lock based system; it just isnā€™t suited to the chaos of a fight. If you donā€™t have real, hands on personal experience with actual fighting and or combat sports, itā€™s hard to appreciate this. I get that. Thatā€™s why these systems are overwhelmingly practiced by MA nerds. People with experience are not drawn to them. If they find themselves in such a class, they leave shortly because they realize itā€™s nonsense.

I am certainly aware there are a lot of similarities between Bagua & Aikido.The MAIN similarity is the fact that neither can be used successfully by a human being to fight another human being. Period.

Like Aikido, Bagua is a completely non-functional martial art suited for the overly intellectual, timid & non-physical person who has never been in a real fight and therefore has absolutely no idea what a fight is like or what kinds of things are possible in a fight. Bagua is INTERESTING, but like Aikido & Taichi for that matter, it simply cannot make the jump to reality.

Is there a ā€œone in a millionā€ standing wrist-lock someone has pulled off in a fight? Sure, no doubt. Everything CAN sometimes work. But it is still a terrible, terrible, terrible strategy that is most likely doomed to fail.

1 Like