2021 PFL Championship earns worst TV rating of any league final in PFL history

Suprised? Not suprised?

2 Likes

when you realize the champions are rejects of other leagues or in Kayla’s case a weight class no one fights at, then why would you watch? The only fight worth watching was the Ray Cooper fight.

4 Likes

I feel like every single mma promotion is dropping the ball on advertising.

7 Likes

I’m not surprised at all. I like pfl but they are not going to get a solid fan base with their current product and advertising

2 Likes

Makes me wonder where megastar Kayla Harrison will end up next

Like it’s been pointed out before, one of the many problems pfl has is their live obscure fight stats. They are distracting and very gay. No idea why smaller promotions keep trying to re-invent the wheel. No one is perfect, but that shit is certainly not helping.

1 Like

Maybe just my opinion but a league of mostly foreigners isn’t going to sell. They need more Americans. It’s why UFC took off and K-1 didn’t.

Zero Advertising

Wrestling Heavy

Half the fights turn out boring or not more

No fighters that are big names.

What could go wrong?

4 Likes

This.

PFL clearly wants interest from casual MMA fans and/or crossover appeal for sports fans.

However, the only people that would be interested in this product is the complete opposite. Hardcore MMA fans. People who frequent the UG like us to talk about MMA, people who watch anywhere from 3 to 5 different organizations, and really care about fighting.

I am going to watch PFL until it’s demise (which I do not hope for) because of the level of skill on display. That’s the same reason I watch Bellator, ONE, LFA, etc… There are a limited number of hardcore fans around these days, and a lot of competition from other orgs.

The only ways to make the PFL more marketable to the people they want is to advertise more, promote their fighters, and promote their “sports structure” as much as possible.

I don’t think they got a very good deal with ESPN because although more eyes are on it, ESPN has NOT promoted them at all and they are somewhat buried on ESPN2. I don’t see any promo material for them on ESPN+, no commercials, no pop up ads. To find anything PFL related I have to go to MMA > PFL, or Leagues > PFL. And PFL is towards the end of the list, which indicates the level of effort that has been put into promoting them.

1 Like

I think they are fooling themselves if they think Harrison will be a star.

A dominant fighter maybe, but she doesn’t have the “it” factor

1 Like

Wow! I’m shocked. I absolutely loved the event.

1 Like

Doing it mid week instead of a weekend and not doing it at the end of year didn’t help.

2 Likes

Exactly. The fact that High School Football had priority over them also says a lot about there ESPN deal.

1 Like

I tuned in for the last three fights (not the hours and hours of programming they had prior to that, which probably didn’t help their cause). The Shields fight was a snorer. Cooper fight was fun. Kayla was dominant, as expected, but her opponent clocked her a good one and lasted the first round.

All in all, I wasn’t disappointed in the hour or 90 minutes I spent in front of the TV.

Not trying to be a dick or anything, but i find the level of skill to not be on par with some other orgs. Some fighters maybe, but overall when fighters wo get cut from other orgs win the championship it seems like a lower level of competition. It is competitive and i watch it, but i think most of these champs wouldn’t get a title shot if they were in say the UFC.

3 Likes

Michael Chandler is one example. But Justin Gaethje is another. Always intriguing to see who can cut the mustard when they climb into the cage with the best in the business.

If we want fighter pay to go up we better hope the other orgs stay around so that fighters can test free agency.

3 Likes

There was a PFL? What channel are they even on

100 percent. Thursday nights are debatable, Wednesday is straight up stupid.

We have no idea when the season begins for the following year. We hear nothing from PFL for months at a time. Then the new season starts and I randomly see a few threads on here.

1 Like