37 what do you think?

Okay, when I said "I feel like I'm gonna get wrecked", I didn't really mean "brutalized". I meant that the workout was going to be really tough to keep up with, despite the fact that I'm already in good shape(imo).

I guess I was wondering... am I right? Will I have a hard time keeping up with their stuff? Of course, you might have a problem answering that, since none of us on here have any idea how hard they train.

I've been on their website and it shows mostly pictures of kids and teenagers, so I doubt they're really killing people with the training.

Also, should I have soft knee or elbow pads under my gi? I've heard it's a good idea.

You will "enjoy" some period of adjustment to the new and different stress you're putting on your body no matter how in shape you are.

Your coach will realize this and ease you into things.

quit making excuses!

Joshua, you nailed it. I get done and drink a whole bottle of gaTORADE in one pull. I then go home, shower, eat a light bit and pour myself a lowball of Macallan, neat. NOTHING will put you to sleep like that combo.

Never too old to begin and never too old to continue. Judo is a great sport in that you can practice it at any level you wish.

Here's a little poem that I like. I think the author must have been a judoka :)

I have hoped, I have planned, I have striven,
To the will I have added the deed;
The best that was in me I've given,
I have prayed, but the gods would not heed.

I have dared and reached only disaster,
I have battled and broken my lance;
I am bruised by a pitiless master
That the weak and the timid call Chance.

I am old, I am bent, I am cheated
Of all that Youth urged me to win;
But name me not with the defeated,
For tomorrow - again, I begin.

~S.E. Kiser

im telling you, get the sleep number bed and your entire life will improve.

..."quit making excuses!"

LOL. I'm not making excuses, just conversation. I'm very, very interested in starting Judo, which is why I lurk in this area of the board. I'm just waiting to free up some cash, that's all.

Like I asked before. Soft knee/elbow pads under the gi. Good idea or geeky?

Josh, what happened to your blue name?

So what ever happened to jilamas....?

hey mike im still here ,if your wondering if i ever made out to cahills i did check out a class, but after going over my budget i cant afford Bjj and Judo so im sticking with BJj for now and maybe some wrestling since its almost free around here

Jlamas,

I don't think Mr Cahill has ever turned anyone down though that couldn't afford it. You can probably work something out with him. Maybe just once a week for starters at a cheaper rate.

One of Cahill's instructers, Mike Pechina, teaches his own class there on Sat morings at 7AM. I'm sure the price is different.

Also, another one of Cahill's instructers, Raul Tamayo, teaches at Stanford University on Mon, Wed and Fri 7 - 9 as well as Sat morning 12 - 2. For non Stanford students it only costs a measly $80 per quarter! Raul is super technical at instructing and you'll learn a heck of a lot from him. Here is their link:

http://www.stanford.edu/group/judo/info.html

in the long run it's probably better to start out this way anyway because there isn't a whole lot of teaching in the adult class at Cahill's. Later, you can transition over.

I wouldn't give up on it yet.

Mike

Mike thanks for the inside tip i never would found this out ..as they dont advertise im gonna check them out thanks again

I'm 56 and started judo at 43 and train 2/week in judo/Bjj. I will give you the best advice I can and that is:

1) develope judo teckniques using 50%hand/50%legs.
2) avoid judokas who muscle in their attack styles.
3) core exercises/running for total body strengthening/conditioning.

I hope not to offend anyone by comment 2 but want to avoid unneceassy injuries.

Hope this helps.

I agree with your #2 statement though. I was training for a little while at a Judo club and found that a lot of the white and yellow belts muscled everything. I got hurt a few times in a few months and stopped going. I simply decided it wasn't worth the risk, I love martial arts but also love my knees, spine, elbows and wrists, all of which I injured in the short time I was there.

I am debating on going back and talking to the black belts but have no idea what to say.

Just tell them to you dont want to get injured.

Everyone knows that you get hurt with new people because they are sloppy and wild. You'll learn more from them anyway.

The hardest thing I've found is to not try and keep up with the younger guys. It has been easy to get drawn into not giving up / backing off or whatever, but the other guy prob doesn't wake up the next day as sore as us old guys (I'm 36).

I've also been re-introduced to regular stretching; something I should have started long ago, but like progress in martial arts - it takes time and you have to stick at it to get better.

Good luck!

"The hardest thing I've found is to not try and keep up with the younger guys. It has been easy to get drawn into not giving up / backing off or whatever, but the other guy prob doesn't wake up the next day as sore as us old guys (I'm 36)"

Good point. I agree.