50/50 is now Alliance?

Come on guys, his split from Lloyd was probably a big deal but from Brasa? How big of a role do you think Brasa actually played in his academy? Probably not even close to the level he's getting from Marcelo. Phone Post

Its not all that surprising for anyone who knew him/knew anything about him outside of the face he showed to the public. Just sucks that a man took the black belt off his waste to give to you, and you still bounce.

Didnt JJM give Eddie the Black Belt off of his waste? Eddie still reps JJM to this day even though he hasnt anyone that has done anything at black belt.

Gotta give Eddie props on this one.

paneo astima - 
pretty much exactly how I guessed it as well, Hillary is just making excuses for the guy

Exactly kiddo. You GUESSED.

Maybe it's because I can empathize with his situation and I know him, whereas 99% of the people talking shit have never nor will ever compete on the level that he does or own a school. Haters gonna hate, and he'll be guillotining folks while you do.

Wonder what Jeff Ruth thinks?

Hillary - 
paneo astima - 
pretty much exactly how I guessed it as well, Hillary is just making excuses for the guy

Exactly kiddo. You GUESSED.

Maybe it's because I can empathize with his situation and I know him, whereas 99% of the people talking shit have never nor will ever compete on the level that he does or own a school. Haters gonna hate, and he'll be guillotining folks while you do.

Also, saying that he'll be out "Guillotining folks" while other people are out doing whatever is no different than what Lebron said to defend his shitty character after losing to the Mavs when the media interviewed him. Doesnt stop Lebron from being a douche.

How well do you TRULY know him though Hillary? Having a conversation here and there, or training with him a few times doesnt constitute as "knowing" him. I know that in these sort of threads you are usually the beacon of hope being positive about everything, but Felipe gave Ryan the black belt off of his own waist. That's some serious stuff.

I'm not going to say anything any further on the matter but for the people who REALLY know Ryan, and have seen his true character outside of what he shows to the public, are not surprised at all with this news.

rayonyx7 - 
JuDoK@ - 
BruceLeeMMAfighting - 
Daniel/CGJJ - Correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't Brasa an Alliance offshoot?

Yes it is.

It's guys like Costa and Comprido who left Alliance and formed their own team Master then Brasa. The dispute was over money at the time because Comprido participated in the new BJJ World Cup (which paid cash) an act that was not allowed by Alliance.

Jacare formed Master before Alliance. I think they immediately left and formed Brasa. Master is Jacare's and always has been.

I don't think Alliance needs any help from 50/50 to take on Atos though; I believe we can handle it ourselves.

I welcome anyone who comes to train at Alliance. It is actually a very good school and you can learn a lot fast.

I am sure he will not rep Alliance though as the name of his school; it will likely only be for tournament points.

Alliance evolution:

The OG was Master JJ formed by Master Jacare. Then Alliance was formed with Master Jacare and his top students including Grugel and Pavia.

From Alliance there was split basically between, at the time, the new and old guard. The team was split into Alliance and Master. Leozinho and the younger generation at the time still wanted to be under Mater Jacare and used the Master team name.

Then another split occurred. The 'new' Master team split from any Alliance/Master Jacare association and formed Brasa.

Then Brasa split into Checkmat and Brasa. Checkmat split into Atos and Checkmat. Brasa split again, Comprido is no longer part of Brasa and neither is Traven, who for a brief period was part of Brasa.

That's crazy. No stability at all. They can learn a thing or two from Carlinhos on how to run an enterprise.

Until MMAGuy gives up how he hides the url on the bottom left corner, matbattling is tough business. 

Look, Ryan's a good dude, I know this for a fact.  He takes his business seriously and the guy will give you the shirt off his back.  Ryan has had several coaches and one of them posts here. The coach moved to NYC to be Marcelo's assistant instructor.  (I'm seriously not trying to speculate, just stating fact).  So, one of his coaches moves to a location where he has quick access to and access to training with Marcelo, say on a weekly basis.  Felipe is an awesome guy, but is on the road doing seminar's and in Brazil most of the year. Guys have a limited amount of time to make their run at the World's, ADCC's, etc.  He's still young and can do that.   I can say that he undoubtably wants to be able to be the best instructor possible to his own students, so to make this about him being selfish is shitty.  As one of the American's with a chance of getting on podiums, I hope he succeeds.   (I also hope he keeps making instructionals, because they're unparalled in regard to the content and subjects and honestly, it's my main source of knowledge).  

It's funny, some people are just like biased news reporters in that they only spring out when they think they caught somebody being out of character.  Dismiss the good somebody does and only speculate on the things that some consider negative, which it may or may not be.    Ask competitors, friends, and students how many times the guy has dropped things and came over and helped out or helped coach people he has no affiliation with at tournaments.  Say you don't like him, but man, smashing into the guy's character isn't right.  Where's th fuckin budo!?

All of you are crying your eyes out for a guy making a smart move, that's what I don't understand. My coaches are open minded enough to have told me that I needed to find a competition coach (Cyborg), who I represent congruently with Westside. Being a female facilitates this, because he doesn't have anyone on the team that competes with me.

Ryan, on the other hand, has been investing a solid amount of time into training with Marcelo who has teammates that will and do compete against Ryan. Felipe Costa is the only big name active competitor at this point, is geographically very far away, and is considerably smaller.

Felipe Costa DID NOT GIVE Ryan his belt, he simply didn't have another one to put on him that day. After the graduation, Ryan got his own and Felipe stayed with his. My coach, as well, graduated me with his own belt, and I was promptly presented with a new one after the ceremony. It's not like Ryan took off Felipe's belt, spit on it, and stormed off to Marcelo's. He made a smart choice to improve his training with the best grappler in the world who happens to be within driving distance. And we crucify the dude on the internet.

And I have mentioned previously--just a couple posts up--that I don't know Ryan that well, although I know his story pretty well from one of his assistant instructors (who is a close friend of mine) and from here and there contact. I never once said I knew the situation exactly nor will I contact him to find out. You know why? Because it's none of our fucking business. It's between Felipe, Ryan, and Marcelo.

Ryan Hall was nothing short of a gentleman when I met him (albeit, briefly).

If you're attaching any negative emotions, or trying to stir the gossip pot on this news, you should stop and just wish him well.

He is a nice guy. I hope he does very well.

Edit for misinterpreting. 

It seems like a smart move to me.   

Zazen Tranquilo - 
rayonyx7 - 
JuDoK@ - 
BruceLeeMMAfighting - 
Daniel/CGJJ - Correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't Brasa an Alliance offshoot?

Yes it is.

It's guys like Costa and Comprido who left Alliance and formed their own team Master then Brasa. The dispute was over money at the time because Comprido participated in the new BJJ World Cup (which paid cash) an act that was not allowed by Alliance.

Jacare formed Master before Alliance. I think they immediately left and formed Brasa. Master is Jacare's and always has been.

I don't think Alliance needs any help from 50/50 to take on Atos though; I believe we can handle it ourselves.

I welcome anyone who comes to train at Alliance. It is actually a very good school and you can learn a lot fast.

I am sure he will not rep Alliance though as the name of his school; it will likely only be for tournament points.

Alliance evolution:

The OG was Master JJ formed by Master Jacare. Then Alliance was formed with Master Jacare and his top students including Grugel and Pavia.

From Alliance there was split basically between, at the time, the new and old guard. The team was split into Alliance and Master. Leozinho and the younger generation at the time still wanted to be under Mater Jacare and used the Master team name.

Then another split occurred. The 'new' Master team split from any Alliance/Master Jacare association and formed Brasa.

Then Brasa split into Checkmat and Brasa. Checkmat split into Atos and Checkmat. Brasa split again, Comprido is no longer part of Brasa and neither is Traven, who for a brief period was part of Brasa.

That's crazy. No stability at all. They can learn a thing or two from Carlinhos on how to run an enterprise.

How many splits has Barra had? I can't begin to name them all. Alliance has a ton of black belts. For every one that leaves, there are 50 waiting in the wings. For every Comprido, Traven, Leo, you have Faria, the Bad Boy, Marcelo,Leo Nogueira, Langhi, etc... Alliance is a huge team. Some people want to spread their wings and fly on there own, nothing wrong with that.

Gordo / Gracie fusion / Gracie elite, nino, roleta BJJ, Jean jaque machado, many others Phone Post

jesus this forum has really gone to shit.

Some of the tribalism in this sport is absolutely disgusting.

BJJ Team/Association/Academy drama sometimes shares the same mentality as gang members except with armlocks.

Hillary has armbarred the truth

Paul is right on Gracie Barra splits, sooo many. Ryan, Pe De Pano also.

pitbullxyz - Paul is right on Gracie Barra splits, sooo many. Ryan, Pe De Pano also.

Tinguinha, Soca, etc....

one thing that seperates ryan from others ,i never heard him say a bad thing about his former instructors,even tho he lefted them like many have.

I don't get the shock of the BJJ tribalism. Barra, Alliance, Lloyd Irvin, Traven, TT, Atos, Checkmat, Novia Uniao, Gracie Academy, Sauer, Carlson, etc.. all practice this. When you are beating the crap out of each other day in and day out loyalties develop, bonds are formed.

Yes we are paying for our training and we can take our money and run. But you can't discount the human aspect of it; Building relationships with fellow BJJ-ers is a huge part of this sport. The team that forms after years of training and competing together is a huge part off it. One can chide people all day long about how silly it is to get into the BJJ tribalism, but that's what happens when you trane in any sport.