50/50 is now Alliance?

he's a marcelo affiliate, not necessarily a Alliance affiliate. Just like being a Renzo guy does not necessarily make you a Gracie Barra guy.

I'm shocked that Jacare would accept him. Jacare is the biggest hater of the 50/50 guard. He calls it "Shitty fifty fifty". LOL

Poor Ryan. Why is there so much hate for him on these forums? I met him in person once...he seems like a really nice guy.

Full story here. He talks about it at the 2:45 mark:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whyUMad?feature=fvst

empire matbattled me.....fuuuu

Empire almost got me.

Man, Ryan's life is his and it's his choice. I sincerely doubt he had a falling out with Felipe, but when you are a competitive adult you must train with someone who can push you. Ryan's been training a lot with Marcelo and no one here can argue that he will only grow as a fighter and competitor with Alliance.

Best wishes to him and his gym.

Impeccable timing. My God.  That's serious UG experience to plant that mine like that. 

phew that was close, thanks for warning us seek ahaha

Honestly if he's spending his time learning mostly from Marcelo then isn't it a lie to fly the Brasa flag? I think if he's spending his time learning from Marcelo then it's only right that he should fly the MG/Alliance flag.

Go Ryan, I think your doing the right thing.

ryan seems like the kind of guy who is mostly concerned about himself. i don't necessarily mean this in a bad way. he just seems like a guy who just wants to learn from whoever he feels is the best. he doesn't seem to care a lot about loyalty, creonte, team, and that type of stuff when it comes to BJJ. he took what he could from lloyd irvin, learned what he could from felipe costa, and now is trying to get what he can from training with marcelinho. it wouldn't surprise me if he ends up switching teams in a few years.

BJJ has a spectrum of personalities. some people take loyalty and stuff like that to the extreme. to the point of being almost cultish. others aren't really into that stuff and just view BJJ as a business and feel that they shoudl be able to change camps whenever they feel. to these people it's not a big deal.

ultimatestreetfighter - ryan seems like the kind of guy who is mostly concerned about himself. i don't necessarily mean this in a bad way. he just seems like a guy who just wants to learn from whoever he feels is the best. he doesn't seem to care a lot about loyalty, creonte, team, and that type of stuff when it comes to BJJ. he took what he could from lloyd irvin, learned what he could from felipe costa, and now is trying to get what he can from training with marcelinho. it wouldn't surprise me if he ends up switching teams in a few years.

BJJ has a spectrum of personalities. some people take loyalty and stuff like that to the extreme. to the point of being almost cultish. others aren't really into that stuff and just view BJJ as a business and feel that they shoudl be able to change camps whenever they feel. to these people it's not a big deal.

Ah, spoken like someone who has absolutely no insight into Ryan's life and personal decisions.*

*Not like I have much either, we're not BFFs, but I know enough to say that he's not using his instructors in the way you so blatantly claimed.

Hall can't win on this forum

Hopefully I'll see him on the mats next time I get out to Marcelo's

Brian McLaughlin - Hall can't win on this forum

hey brian, whats your take on this move by ryan knowing that you yourself is a grappler and have faced ryan in the past?

Tango_MF - 
It seems that as he developed more and more of a relationship with Marcelo's gym (for example, his long time training partner and coach, Paul, instructs there) it just made sense to form this alliance, particularly in light of the quote above.

Our forum's own Paul Schreiner(sp?) is his coach? Awesome! Probably one of the most underrated instructors out there.

DaTazzManianDevil - 
Brian McLaughlin - Hall can't win on this forum

hey brian, whats your take on this move by ryan knowing that you yourself is a grappler and have faced ryan in the past?
My guess is Hall will probably develop a sick X-Guard and add more guillotines and north south chokes to his game. 

F the politics, train where you want to.

lol@Empire. That's cold-blooded, man.

Anyway, here is a recent interview with him about this very subject, although he doesn't go into great detail:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=curRC4pAE-b

rayonyx7 - 
JuDoK@ - 
BruceLeeMMAfighting - 
Daniel/CGJJ - Correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't Brasa an Alliance offshoot?

Yes it is.

It's guys like Costa and Comprido who left Alliance and formed their own team Master then Brasa. The dispute was over money at the time because Comprido participated in the new BJJ World Cup (which paid cash) an act that was not allowed by Alliance.

Jacare formed Master before Alliance. I think they immediately left and formed Brasa. Master is Jacare's and always has been.

I don't think Alliance needs any help from 50/50 to take on Atos though; I believe we can handle it ourselves.

I welcome anyone who comes to train at Alliance. It is actually a very good school and you can learn a lot fast.

I am sure he will not rep Alliance though as the name of his school; it will likely only be for tournament points.

Alliance evolution:

The OG was Master JJ formed by Master Jacare. Then Alliance was formed with Master Jacare and his top students including Grugel and Pavia.

From Alliance there was split basically between, at the time, the new and old guard. The team was split into Alliance and Master. Leozinho and the younger generation at the time still wanted to be under Mater Jacare and used the Master team name.

Then another split occurred. The 'new' Master team split from any Alliance/Master Jacare association and formed Brasa.

Then Brasa split into Checkmat and Brasa. Checkmat split into Atos and Checkmat. Brasa split again, Comprido is no longer part of Brasa and neither is Traven, who for a brief period was part of Brasa.

Then there was TT with Terere and Telles, when TT split Telles formed 99. A few of the students went back to Alliance, some went with Telles to 99. Telles and some of his students have also represented Brasa in competition now. Also there is Atos but I cant remember how it all fits together....someone want to do a family tree??

Sounds like Brasa was down for the count anyways. Phone Post

Come on Andre, we're not that dumb.