.9lb allowance overweight in the Diaz/GSP fight

HighFreq - 
Cyril Jeff - 
FreakDaddy - They have always gave a one pund allowance.....So I don't get why people have their panties in a wad here......That is all.....

no sir, I don't believe they have, title fights are contested at the weight, on the button...

That is true in the Unified rules, but in Quebec and I believe Ontario as well, you are allowed a one pound allowance for all fights (including title fights).

It is no different than the UFC doing same day weigh-ins when they fight in Ohio. Different athletic commissions have slightly different rules regarding the weigh-ins.

I saw you post that in the other thread, but I don't see anyone else saying it's true, you sure?

Porkchop -
UGCTT_ Lay'n'PrayNINJA - 

That dude probably had no idea he was being video taped. 

that is some shady shit right there. Wonder if anyone got a photo/vid of the actual scale when GSP was on it. 

not likely.

It's somewhat shady, but if it's allowed for both guys then what's the big problem?

I mean, if St.Pierre was off weight it's not like he would have forfeited the title to Diaz. The title just wouldn't be on the line as far as I know.

Seems like this rule change would have helped Diaz more than hurt him.

Actually it hurts diaz more than it helps him. If George stepped on the scale at 170.9 he would of bad to shed the extra .9 not forego the title fight. Phone Post

Get rid of weight cutting and the problem goes away.
Step on a scale before you go in the cage to make it official.

While ultimately the same result might have been likely, examples like in the op might be why Diaz always feels disrespected. The ac should've given him the heads up sooner. Phone Post

I honestly don't think there should be a 1 pound allowance in non title fights, but this just takes the cake. An allowance is built into each weight class. For welterweight there is a 15 pound allowance already, why make it 16? I don't understand that concept.

boulder40 - After watching what I think trench coat dude was saying was if they were under 171 but over the 170 mark they would just announce it as 170 so fans and everyone else wouldn't be freaking out for the next hour trying to figure out if the card was gonna disintegrate in front of them.. That's why he said they were gonna say 170 and give them an hour after to cut the weight.. What they've done in the past for non titles is give the option to try and cut the extra weight in an hour or give up 20% of the purse. Being a title fight with obviously alot more rising on it they didn't want panic so they were telling him basically be cool and don't act a fool if he's .5 over and calling it out, and just allow him to cut it without a scene Phone Post

Don't try to confuse the conspiritards with logic man. Phone Post

So bottom line: Is the .9 allowance in Canada for title fights standard OR have fighters always had to weight in at exactly the 170 limit or less?

That would explain why GSP was on and off the scales so quickly. Phone Post

Virginio - That would explain why GSP was on and off the scales so quickly. Phone Post

And I'm not saying he cheated, blah blah blah. Phone Post

Nitecrawler - 
FreakDaddy - GSP made weight.....End of thread.....

This.

uhhh no...not end of thread..regardless of whether or not GSP made weight, there shouldnt be any "off-the-record" deviation from the rule

So if its true that quebec allows .9 over the question is did GSP have to cut the .9 or they allow the .9 to fight? Also has this been standard in all title fights in quebec? Did all previous competitors know? Phone Post

I didn't see the weigh-ins, so sorry for not knowing, but did they announce decimals for any of the earlier fights, or were they all rounded numbers as well? It would be strange to hear a bunch of 170.4s and such for prelims and non-title fights, and then they just truncate the number for the title fight - especially with only one fighter knowing that's how it goes.

mrcheeeese - I didn't see the weigh-ins, so sorry for not knowing, but did they announce decimals for any of the earlier fights, or were they all rounded numbers as well? It would be strange to hear a bunch of 170.4s and such for prelims and non-title fights, and then they just truncate the number for the title fight - especially with only one fighter knowing that's how it goes.

That's interesting but I don't think it's the main point. I'm not so much interested in what was announced at the weigh-ins or in previous fights as much as what's actually been allowed.

Funny how all the anti-mensa's around here automatically figure GSP was over.

Argo - Funny how all the anti-mensa's around here automatically figure GSP was over.

hard to argue that the nature of the conversation wasn't strange though, right?

What is going on!? There is something amiss. Phone Post

Porkchop - 
UGCTT_ Lay'n'PrayNINJA - 

That dude probably had no idea he was being video taped. 

that is some shady shit right there. Wonder if anyone got a photo/vid of the actual scale when GSP was on it. 

not likely.

It's somewhat shady, but if it's allowed for both guys then what's the big problem?

I mean, if St.Pierre was off weight it's not like he would have forfeited the title to Diaz. The title just wouldn't be on the line as far as I know.

Seems like this rule change would have helped Diaz more than hurt him.

whats 20% of gsps purse

Anderson's BBC in my Goku - 
Nitecrawler - 
FreakDaddy - GSP made weight.....End of thread.....

This.

uhhh no...not end of thread..regardless of whether or not GSP made weight, there shouldnt be any "off-the-record" deviation from the rule

I hate to say it, being a huge GSP fan, but I have to agree with you.

Plus it could have been the only way he "made weight" was WITH the deviation from the normal rule. That is not right.

aint no telling what jack told helen,what the hell is you selling. wolf tickets!

Until someone can show any kind of proof that GSP was at or over 170.1 this whole thing is ridiculous. If he was and wasn't forced to try and cut that last bit of weight and reweighed then it is an issue. But until you have any proof it is all conjecture and to get all conspiracy theory about it is dumb.