a big day for CBS...

stttrikeforce

What kind of rating do you guys think this Fedor/Rogers fight with get? 

5 mill range or 3.5mill range?

good thread. voted up Patrick for the useful info on advertising, confirming my hunch that promoting Fedor in a 3 second spot takes away from Survivor and sitcom spots. But hey, it's a helluva lot better than nothing. Here's hoping for big ratings next month! (And no more shitty Shamrock skeleton animations. holy shit those are bad!)

TheVileOne is going to give himself an aneurysm before the show, he is so hilariously worked up over this.

CretardsCrutch -  "I frequently see UFC billboards here in LA and this is when we haven't had a UFC here in like 3 years."

There was a giant Fedor vs Lindland Bodog billboard up forever on the most popular street in Pacific Beach in San Diego. That really paid off.

I see those UFC billboards sometimes if I'm driving on the 405. There's usually one close to the LA OC border. There were Affliction ones too.

Tell me how almost zero advertising, hype, and promotion is going to pay off?

WHO IS FEDOR isn't going to do jack. How are casual fans supposed to be intrigued by FEDOR IS COMING?

Reed Rothchild -  LOL.... at some of you people.   The promos are coming on at the exact right time..........

What is Strikeforce doing besides 15 second TV spots that no one will make heads or tails over?

Reed Rothchild -  dude...  there over 3 weeks......  its called a 'build up'........   The  Card will get massive ratings....   its coming on right after a 'Big'  SEC football game..........   BLAF dare not  go against it

Where's the buildup Reed? I sure as hell don't see any.

"WHO IS FEDOR isn't going to do jack. How are casual fans supposed to be intrigued by FEDOR IS COMING?"

What would you find more intriguing? THEY HAVE NO FOOTAGE OF HIS FIGHTS.

CBS, and all the other major networks, routinely show advertisements for new shows months in advance to generate hype and viewers (i.e. "Coming in the fall").  The fact that this one is a few weeks away and we've seen nothing shows you how much effort CBS is putting into this.  This isn't your normal weekly sporting event that everyone expects.  It appears they expect it to fail.

^i dont know if they "expect it to fail." i'm sure CBS wants it to succeed.

but i cant help but wonder if CBS isnt over-committing with promotion of Strikeforce because they may still be a littled soured by the EliteXC experience. maybe they're just "taking it slow." i'd also expect them to have Strikeforce pretty low on their list of programs that need to be promoted. CBS doesnt stand to bring in much revenue, compared to its other regular programming.

my guess is that if Strikeforce shows decent rating CBS will ratchet up its support as they go. especially if Fedor wins i think we'd see a much bigger CBS promotion for the following event.

"I've read that Fedor controls all of his footage from Pride. That's why you can watch all of Fedor's Pride fights on the internet."

Someone else mentioned that he does not own the North American broadcast rights, which would explain why Affliction did not use any Pride footage, and why Strikeforce did not use any Pride or Affliction footage.

PatrickFreitas - ^i dont know if they "expect it to fail." i'm sure CBS wants it to succeed.

but i cant help but wonder if CBS isnt over-committing with promotion of Strikeforce because they may still be a littled soured by the EliteXC experience. maybe they're just "taking it slow." i'd also expect them to have Strikeforce pretty low on their list of programs that need to be promoted. CBS doesnt stand to bring in much revenue, compared to its other regular programming.

my guess is that if Strikeforce shows decent rating CBS will ratchet up its support as they go. especially if Fedor wins i think we'd see a much bigger CBS promotion for the following event.
I would think that if the Fedor fight were in the spring or summer instead of November, we might see a more visible promotion to date. The November book is HUGE in television, so promo time is really going to be limited leading into and throughout that month. The advertising revenue return on a single special is not going to be as critical to the network as it is for their episodic shows. It feels right to see just a tease a month out from the event, but I would normally expect that tease to be given broader reach and frequency.

Then they shouldn't have scheduled a CBS primetime fight for November.

http://lineout.thestranger.com/files/2007/11/crybaby.jpg

great point about the November book Zedlepln. the rating that Strikeforce scores at this show will be the one that CBS salspeople will use to sell advertising/sponsorship for the future shows. and if the CBS sales team manages to hook some big fish, then CBS will surely start to throw its full weight behind the promotion's broadcasts. possibly even request more shows?

*thanks to Look It Up for the up votes. i'm actually trying to stay brief...i could talk about the marketing and advertising of MMA for hours.

orcus -  TheVileOne is going to give himself an aneurysm before the show, he is so hilariously worked up over this.

=)

As a MMA fan I would have loved for CBS to be running Fedor ads for months now, but I knew that would not happen, It will come a week or 2 before the show, people have a short attention span, I doubt ads months out will get people marking there calender to watch

Hit em hard a week before the show and people will watch, I think the show will actually do some great numbers

I don't know why you think Nov is a bad time...No more baseball playoffs, basketball and hockey are just getting going. It's just before football playoffs really heat up and it's before college football bowl games. It fits right in.

liquidrob - As a MMA fan I would have loved for CBS to be running Fedor ads for months now, but I knew that would not happen, It will come a week or 2 before the show, people have a short attention span, I doubt ads months out will get people marking there calender to watch

Hit em hard a week before the show and people will watch, I think the show will actually do some great numbers

anyone with a marketing background would say the approach you mentioned might be okay for a known brand (NFL, UFC, NBA, etc), but not when Fedor, Rogers, and Strikeforce are all unknown. you're not just "reminding" an established fan base to tune in, you're really educating them from square one. you have to give these people a reason to "mark their calendars." it storytelling. and you cant simply cram the whole story into 2-3 weeks of commercials on a single TV network.

the UG-type harcore fans like us will surely tune in. but the average US sports fan has no clue whats going on.

PatrickFreitas - 
liquidrob - As a MMA fan I would have loved for CBS to be running Fedor ads for months now, but I knew that would not happen, It will come a week or 2 before the show, people have a short attention span, I doubt ads months out will get people marking there calender to watch

anyone with a marketing background would say the approach you mentioned might be okay for a known brand (NFL, UFC, NBA, etc), but not when Fedor, Rogers, and Strikeforce are all unknown. you're not just "reminding" an established fan base to tune in, you're really educating them from square one. you have to give these people a reason to "mark their calendars." it storytelling. and you cant simply cram the whole story into 2-3 weeks of commercials on a single TV network.

the UG-type harcore fans like us will surely tune in. but the average US sports fan has no clue whats going on.

of course, more and earlier would have been better, no one can argue that

I'm just saying that it was never going to happen, you really think CBS was going to go nuts with this? Of course not, I dont care what xcouture fan was saying, CBS didnt even run stuff until about atleast 3 weeks out for Kimbo, atleast not that I remember

This show is still over 3 weeks away and if they do nothing this weekend during tha games than maybe we should be concerned