A Pictorial History Of Submission

CockneyBlue

"The submission holds are not what makes BJJ,"

You'll have a hard time convincing alot of people who think jujutsu was invented by Helio and really is a Portugese word.

"it's the transitions, the set ups and the training system."

I'll buy the training system is unique. Set ups and transitions? Maybe. But, in general, I'll be they are similar to set ups and transitions for similar techniques in different grappling styles.

Mark

I find this shit fascinating.

It's pretty common knowledge that submissions existed before BJJ, but I've never seen so many old pics of people applying submissions before. This is really cool stuff.

cool stuff

"I find this shit fascinating.

It's pretty common knowledge that submissions existed before BJJ, but I've never seen so many old pics of people applying submissions before. This is really cool stuff. "

That Ryan is the Wellspring that Shooto,Pancrase,shootfighting, flow from.

Catchwrestling is america's first martial art.

The last three have been former French Olympian Henry Deglane.

Vintage Twister???

Eddie! Promote the DVD !!!

love this stuff. kosen judo= bjj. Catch wrestling= bjj. helio= brzailian represetntative of kosen judo haha.

Early 1900's - Catch wrestling - Full Mount

Great thread! Keep it going!

SC Hybrid Represent! (Sambo/Catch Hybrid)

This also looks somewhat familiar - picture circa 1920's

Someone post some old school Sambo pics tooooo!

Great old school pics. It is a crime that all this athletic talent and rich history of moves was ever "lost" in the first place! It would have been great if american wrestling/catchwrestling had remained active instead of having to be "revived" via BJJ.

Early Turkish Wrestling illustrations

IS A "KAZIK" CHECKING THE OIL!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

THAT DUDE IS CHECKING FOR OIL!!!!!!!!!

THATS NOT COOL TO TEACH!!!!

HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE

Where did bravo learn the twister ? i had a black belt from brazil tell me that is some old school stuff he learned as a blue belt. Bravo is guilty of nothing except good marketing imo.

Like Rodney King. I love how he put together his defensive drills for mma striking but this is Old School amateur boxing stuff. He just made it available in a mma context.

Someone point me to a historical picture of Listers sick triangle though ! lol