A Ringside Doctor's Thoughts on Diaz's Cut

As some of you know, I'm a certified ringside physician with the FL State Athletic Commission. I know the NY ringside doctor who called the fight last night, his name is Nitin. I've seen this guy at every Association of Ringside Physicians annual meeting I've attended over the last 12 years. He's always there to learn, keep up to date, and give his own teaching lectures. Nitin is the chief medical officer for the NYSAC and was tireless in his work to get the sport of MMA legalized in NY. He is a professor at Cornell, where he did his neurology training, and heads up the concussion treatment and research clinic for the university. This guy loves MMA and is a walking encyclopedia of UFC/MMA knowledge. He respects the athletes and is fully aware of the career and financial implications his decisions might have on these men and women. He knows who Nate Diaz is and knows his history and his capabilities. Eye injuries, especially lacerations of the lids and area around the eyeball itself, are serious. If Nitin opined that it was unsafe for Nate to continue, then it was unsafe for Nate to continue. Good call.

–Denise

54 Likes

Thank you for posting. 

30 Likes

Thank you for posting.

Your post was really closer to ‘Thoughts on the Ringside Doctor’ - you’ve endorsed Nitin and that’s useful to know.

However, could you expound upon what you actually believe based on what you saw of Diaz’s cut?

2 Likes
RockTheVote -

Lol, when will rogan be posting this one

1 Like

So what exactly was Nate in Danger of? The cut wasnt affecting his vision so what other reason was there to stop it 

3 Likes

727 weighing in on the 305 vs 209

Clearwater sure to run into old pro wrestlers and other show folks

Denise - As some of you know, I'm a certified ringside physician with the FL State Athletic Commission. I know the NY ringside doctor who called the fight last night, his name is Nitin. I've seen this guy at every Association of Ringside Physicians annual meeting I've attended over the last 12 years. He's always there to learn, keep up to date, and give his own teaching lectures. Nitin is the chief medical officer for the NYSAC and was tireless in his work to get the sport of MMA legalized in NY. He is a professor at Cornell, where he did his neurology training, and heads up the concussion treatment and research clinic for the university. This guy loves MMA and is a walking encyclopedia of UFC/MMA knowledge. He respects the athletes and is fully aware of the career and financial implications his decisions might have on these men and women. He knows who Nate Diaz is and knows his history and his capabilities. Eye injuries, especially lacerations of the lids and area around the eyeball itself, are serious. If Nitin opined that it was unsafe for Nate to continue, then it was unsafe for Nate to continue. Good call.

–Denise

Thanks for the insight, key is the doc knows Nate which is always critical in that they would know the punishment he can take etc. Two questions:

1. Does someone have to call the doctor in to take a look or can the doctor enter the cage on his own after viewing say footage or real time damage. In this case did the ref hail for the doctor, or an official in the ring at the break or someone else?

2. Can the fighters sign a waiver to disallow doctor stoppages at an event, or the promotion sign off on not having a doctor stoppage.  For this particular fight and the nature or title of it, could there have been anyway to avoid a doctor’s stoppage?

1 Like

2 Likes
3fie - 
Denise - As some of you know, I'm a certified ringside physician with the FL State Athletic Commission. I know the NY ringside doctor who called the fight last night, his name is Nitin. I've seen this guy at every Association of Ringside Physicians annual meeting I've attended over the last 12 years. He's always there to learn, keep up to date, and give his own teaching lectures. Nitin is the chief medical officer for the NYSAC and was tireless in his work to get the sport of MMA legalized in NY. He is a professor at Cornell, where he did his neurology training, and heads up the concussion treatment and research clinic for the university. This guy loves MMA and is a walking encyclopedia of UFC/MMA knowledge. He respects the athletes and is fully aware of the career and financial implications his decisions might have on these men and women. He knows who Nate Diaz is and knows his history and his capabilities. Eye injuries, especially lacerations of the lids and area around the eyeball itself, are serious. If Nitin opined that it was unsafe for Nate to continue, then it was unsafe for Nate to continue. Good call.

–Denise

Thanks for the insight, key is the doc knows Nate which is always critical in that they would know the punishment he can take etc. Two questions:

1. Does someone have to call the doctor in to take a look or can the doctor enter the cage on his own after viewing say footage or real time damage. In this case did the ref hail for the doctor, or an official in the ring at the break or someone else?

2. Can the fighters sign a waiver to disallow doctor stoppages at an event, or the promotion sign off on not having a doctor stoppage.  For this particular fight and the nature or title of it, could there have been anyway to avoid a doctor’s stoppage?

1. In most states (the laws differ somewhat) the ref has to ask the dr to enter the ring, the physician doesn’t have the right to enter the ring or even stop the fight. That being said, we all work together to protect the fighters; if I’m concerned about something, all I need to do is catch the ref’s eye, and he’ll wave me in at an appropriate time. Also, most refs are not going to go against a dr’s recommendations to stop a fight, even tho they technically could.

2.No. We have to protect the fighters from themselves, most would keep fighting until they died, and the promotors…well, at times, the fighter’s best interests can take a back seat to the promotor making money, so that wouldn’t be a good idea. Many of the busier fight states (CA, NE, FL, NY, NJ) assign their better/more experienced doctors to work important fights or main events. It is taken into consideration as to how well a specific doctor knows the sport and the particular fighters. Speaking for myself, I would let a skilled veteran fighter in an important fight (eg, Diaz, Thurman) go on longer than I would a kid in a debut on the undercard. Most of the more experienced docs would do the same.

–Denise

5 Likes

Denise, thank you for the insight.

I thought it was a great call and I’m a huge Diaz fan. The cuts didn’t look good at all.

There is a life after MMA and the doctors job is to protect the fighter from himself .

1 Like
IzzysAssOnya - 
Denise - Pics of what?

He's referring to the long held, codified rule of the UG. It's really the only rule this place has.

So, in the spirit of tradition and all things holy; pics of your tits or gtfo 

Why don’t you come on over to Gracie Barra Clearwater or St Pete Brazilian Jiu Jitsu during one of my classes and ask me that in person, Mr. 18er Cheeto Fingers? People like you are why I hardly ever post on this forum. This is an MMA discussion board. I’m a ringside physician and a two stripe BJJ blackbelt who’s probably old enough to be your mother, and I’m just trying to give some of my own personal insight on a discussion topic of mutual interest. So why don’t you grow up or GTFO and let the adults have a reasonable conversation?

–Denise

57 Likes

Nice Lecture OP. You are obligated to support your cronies and wouldn't want you to say anything negative about the amazing man that is Nitin. Blau Blau Blau. 

The cut was not on his eye lid. It was above the Brow and there was no fear of eye damage. If the cut was on the lid as you stated I would agree.

The doctor wanted to be an attention whore and call the fight. If he let it go, no one knows his name. Now he will get his 15 minutes of fame, money, and opportunities all while robbing Nate Diaz of millions in future earnings.

Thanks for taking the time to defend your buddy but with all due respect and I do mean with all do respect… 

6 Likes

In the grand scheme of things I think it is an ok outcome because Nate obviously would have kept fighting.

That area has taken a lot of damage.

It gives Nate a way out of a fight that was not going his way (not saying he wanted that) and sets the stage for another match if that is what is decided. A story a narrative is in place and all was done in the name of safety.

1 Like
Real Muthaphuckkin G -

Nice Lecture OP. You are obligated to support your cronies and wouldn't want you to say anything negative about the amazing man that is Nitin. Blau Blau Blau. 

The cut was not on his eye lid. It was above the Brow and there was no fear of eye damage. If the cut was on the lid as you stated I would agree.

The doctor wanted to be an attention whore and call the fight. If he let it go, no one knows his name. Now he will get his 15 minutes of fame, money, and opportunities all while robbing Nate Diaz of millions in future earnings.

Thanks for taking the time to defend your buddy but with all due respect and I do mean with all do respect… 

He’s already medical doctor and a professor at Cornell. I’m pretty sure he’s doing just fine money and career wise. 

4 Likes
ranier wolfcastle -

Thanks for the pic, this is the best one I’ve seen. Just based on this photo, it looks like the laceration starts at about 12:00 or 1:00 on the upper lid and traces down the outside of the globe to about 9:00. There’s an important nerve at the 12:00 position that could effect Nate’s ability to open his eye. The bones around the globe are very fragile, and the muscles that move the eyeball are directly under the tissue paper skin in that area. If those muscles are damaged, he’d have double vision for the rest of his life. Also, if the fat tissue under the skin from 9:00 to 12:00 is exposed, which I can’t tell because of the blood, that can cause a bunch of other problems. Also, I can’t tell how deep the cut is from this photo. Those are the thoughts that would be going thru my mind if I were standing there seeing that. I would also be very aware of the gravity of the fight and that I would end up being torn apart by fans if I stopped the fight. BUT my bottom line would be that I’d rather deal with haters than have Nate never be able to fight (over maybe even see straight) again.

–Denise

13 Likes
Choked72 - Thank you for posting.

Your post was really closer to ‘Thoughts on the Ringside Doctor’ - you’ve endorsed Nitin and that’s useful to know.

However, could you expound upon what you actually believe based on what you saw of Diaz’s cut?

She believes the guy who made the call has even better knowledge, credentials,and  understanding than herself, and wouldnt make a mistake.

2 Likes

That cut was only getting worse. Diaz was constantly wiping the blood away from his eye that last round, and it was obvious his cutman wasn't able to contain it. 

1 Like

I don't see any stitches on his eyelid 

4 Likes