A Suggestion to Joe Rogan

I think you do a fantastic job and look forward to your announcing every UFC.

In the Pe de Peno vs Monson fight, however, you said a few times how you feared this was going to be a boring fight...how it would be a stalemate, etc. That's a real energy drain.

Try to make it interesting for the fans, rather than bring them down. Say how interesting it will be if one can dominate the other on the ground, or how Monson can get within striking range of Pe De Peno. Don't bring the audience down. It's not being dishonest to view the fight differently from how you honestly believed it would be.

You're helping sell a product. Always put it in a favorable light.

Well, I dont think Rogan's job is to be the "Serious" one. That's Goldie's job. Rogan's job seems to be the one who supplies the logic in the training and the history of the fighters but also, to come across as a fan also.

To a certain extent, but he also builds a rapport with the fans if he 'feel's what they're feeling in regard to the eb and flow of a fight and whether the styles of the fighters will create a stalemate.

Rastus, I respect your opinion, and enjoy your posts. However, I gots to
call them like I sees them, and that fight had boring written all over it.
I knew no one was going to finish anyone on the ground, and monson
was too short to connect on his feet.
I see what you're saying, but I gotta be honest. Me trying to "spin" it
would make people less likely to believe me when I'm telling the truth.

This is really a subtle point, and I'm not going to claim to be right and you are wrong. I know that you were speaking from the heart. The fight, for the most part, turned out just as you thought it would. I'm not going to malign or cast aspersion on either your integrity or your professionalism, both of which are top notch.

I just want you to consider something - we don't KNOW how the fight will end. We don't KNOW how the fight will go. What we have are strong hunches and likelihoods. Consider these three angles:

o The fact is, Monson dropped Pe de Peno with a jab. I found it interesting to see if Monson, who has professional boxing in his background, would be able to slip the jab and get inside...or jab, slip in and blast. Those are interesting questions to ask the audience, to get them into the fight.

o Pe de Peno would lean his head back with his chin on prize ever encounter. Pointing out that fact educates the fans on striking, as well as heightening the tension if Monson can capitalize on that mistake.

o Though they were neutralized, punching on the ground can create vastly different results from pure grappling. Could one alter past grappling stalemates with strikes? That's an interesting question to ask the audience to get them into the fight.

Do you think that discussing any of these three points instead of the "boring" comments would be a compromise? Would the effect on the fans heighten the tension and enjoyment of the fights? I think they would.

Those points are legitimate ways of looking at the fight, and how we see something determines how we feel about it. I think it's better for the fans and better for the sport to find legitimate angles with which to view the fight that brings out as much flavor as possible.

Again, Joe, you know what an asset I think you are for the sport. I did want to mention this to you and discuss it with you and the fans.

You gotta love Joe's honesty!!

Dammit Joe...Can I have just 1 of your throwaways or not?

"Me trying to "spin" it would make people less likely to believe me when I'm telling the truth."

Only if you don't believe what you're saying.

Anyways, I don't think there's a guy out there who's better suited to the job calling the fights than you.

Take care.

Rastus,

I noticed those comments, too, but I appreciated them. I was thinking the exact same thing, and I'm glad Joe felt able to express those thoughts.

I've got a better idea, bring back knees to the head on the ground, and all
of a sudden that's an exciting fight.

"I've got a better idea, bring back knees to the head on the ground, and all of a sudden that's an exciting fight."

Amen.

I think Joe just admitted to watching the Factor with Bill O'rilley.

While we're at it let's bring soccer kicks and stomps to a downed opponent into it, now that's an exciting fight.

"I've got a better idea, bring back knees to the head on the ground, and all of a sudden that's an exciting fight. "

You should really see if you can get the ball movin' in the UFC about this man.

"o Pe de Peno would lean his head back with his chin on prize ever encounter. Pointing out that fact educates the fans on striking, as well as heightening the tension if Monson can capitalize on that mistake."

Didn't Rogan mention this? He talked about how Pe de Pano kept leaning straight back with his chin in the air, but Monson was too short to reach him.

Personally, I want the commentary to be honest. Rogan was being honest. Too many MMA commentators talk about how great every fighter is, and how great the fights are, blah blah blah. I'm sick of that. If a matchup sucks, say it sucks. If a fight is boring, say it's boring.

And yes, bring back the damn knees!

Hell yes to "bring back knees on the ground".

Actually I disagree, if a fight is boring and the announcers are going crazy about how exciting it is, a casual fan may watch and think, this is what an exciting UFC fight is?

(although I'm not implying the Monson/Peno fight was boring, I really enjoyed it)

Joe is correct. TTT for knees to the head.

"Actually I disagree, if a fight is boring and the announcers are going crazy about how exciting it is, a casual fan may watch and think, this is what an exciting UFC fight is? "

MMA isn't like other sports. You can't fake being excited for something thats not exciting. If they are just stalling and breathing heavily on eachother, you can't go "OH WOW! I CAN'T BELIEVE THIS ACTION!!!". It just doesn't work that way. Joe's commentary for this fight was perfect even though I think he was giving De Pano way too much credit for the things he was doing as, De Pano did NOTHING in that entire fight.

Fellas:
i missed the show but.... what i REALLY want to know is if Our resident celeb "JR" screamed out at the top of his lungs after Sylvia's knock-out , " Yea! bring on FEDOR now! like he did ( man, and who can forget) in UFC 46 was it nope i won't let him live THAT one down! fuck the nuthug..

chiba