Abdominal Training ?

I just got finished reading the "Evolution of Ab Training" at T-Mag (Here).

Now, to quote that article:

"The Big Canadian's Take on Ab TrainingPoliquin was one of the first training gurus to popularize low-rep ab work. The theory is simple. Slow-twitch fibers respond best to higher reps and low resistance. Fast-twitch fibers respond best to heavy resistance and, consequently, low reps.You probably knew that, but did you know that the abdominals are composed primarily of fast-twitch fibers? In other words, if you're one of those "three sets of 100 crunches" types, then you've been doing it wrong or, at least, not optimally.According to Charles, performing more than 15 reps per set for abs will probably reduce the effectiveness of the exercise. Instead, do three or four sets of 8-12 reps, using some type of resistance and a slower tempo that emphasizes the eccentric phase of the movement. If you're more advanced, you may want to perform as many as ten sets for abs, but keep the reps in the range of four to five.Think about it, would you do 50-rep sets of biceps training? No, yet many people think nothing of getting on the floor and crunching their day away. This high-rep philosophy is probably left over from the spot-reducing myth. Remember Arnold talking about "whittling away" the fat with high reps? He was wrong--big, cut, and able to kick Satan's ass, but still wrong.The trick here is twofold. First, you'll have to use resistance. Second, you'll need to use a full range of motion. While the Swiss ball has run into some recent criticism, it's still probably the best tool for ab training. The shape allows you to get a full range of motion, and the instability helps improve your balance, a must if you're an athlete trying to approve agility.The two best Swiss ball movements are Swiss ball crunches and reverse crunches. Allow the shape of the ball to give you a good stretch at the bottom of the movement. Start with three sets of 10-12 reps, and work your way to ten sets of four heavy reps. Hold a dumbbell across the upper pecs for resistance. If you must, wrap it in a towel for comfort. Yes, people will call you a big girl, but ten sets with a 60-pound dumbbell across your chest can get uncomfortable."

So, If the abs are mostly fast twitch muscle fibers, and the best way to train them is to use resistence, then what are some good ab routines?

I was thinking Janda Situps and Russian Twists. But what else could I incorporate into this?

Yours,
Beev

Edited for HTML Retardedness :)

Incline situps w/ DBs on your chest, straight leg situps on the floor with a barbell behind your head, straight leg situps with weight on your chest, heavy side bends, spread eagle situps with weight, pulldown abs, landmines.

Some of the stuff HeangK put up the other day would be nice for static strength..

Yeah I'd go with what Ryno901 says.I do OL and incline sit ups with weights for 6-8reps max and 5 or 6 sets of them. Hanging leg raisers for 6reps. Go here to see more stuff you can do.btw back summy's are crazy at working your abbs. How much more explosive and fast can you get?! Lifting your legs over your head.

Would it be wise to mix the set & Reps up?

I.e.
Incline Situps w/o weight 1x12
Incline Situps with weight 1x6

Then carry this on for about 4-5 sets of each?

Yours,
Beev

Heang,

I think you need to sort out the link :)

Yours,
Beev

Here is the linkfvck knows what happened there.I would add variety later. Incline sit ups aren't very hard without weights if your moderately fit imo. If you train you should be pretty well rounded and they should be p!ss. Start with weights on your chest first. Then work so you get weights behind the back of your head when your back is strong enough.20kg on the chest is less then 7.5kg on the back of your head. Dam did those 7.5kg feel heavy when I moved up from 5kg. Now the 7.5kg feels alright.The Gymnatics abb stuff adds a new dimension to my OL and training.I can hold the hanging upside down a bar position now I have found :D. 4 months of training and I manage to hold the position. Feels GREAT. My coach would whoop me at it but now I have built up the strength and training to do so.Koing

TTT

I have a question tho, what are you training for? Size? Strength?

I do weighted crunches but I find it really hard to do volume ab training and this is reflected when I roll, my abs get tired too wuickly for my liking.

In this case am I still better off not doing volume work?

ttt

I sympathize with estanmilko; in boxing or bjj, you end up flexing your stomach or curling your torso thousands of times per hour, and almost never do you use your stomach muscles in a "brute force" manner where you are directly resisting some weight.

On the other hand, the same is true with distance runners and their leg muscles; yet I believe many of them still keep their lower body lifts in the 6-12 rep range...

ttt for an answer!

I like to do, 4 or 5 reps of weighted sit ups, then go quickly to a set of 4 or 5 pull ups. And go back and forth until I've done 10 sets of each. Pullups also work your abs and this combination can be fun and challenging.

Obviously, if you can do more pull ups, throw more in there, but more pullups means more sit ups. Give it a try. Gets the blood going.

estanmilko,

I am training for strength and endurance. I am hoping to achieve improvements athletic wise.

What I mean is I want to work the abs in an attempt to improve punching power and endurance!

Yours,
Beev

Just roll or box more. That will get you better. It is hard to try and recreate the same scenario of ab use like in rolling or boxing. You could do a load of sit ups but that still wouldn't be near enough.

I don't know much abb stuff for volume but not really had problems with my abbs giving up before something else personally. But I haven't rolled with many experienced people or boxed so that is that!

All my training is for power and strength.

Koing