Advice for starting 7 yr old in MMA

My 7 year old told me today that he wants to do martial arts. Any advice on where to start a 7 year old? This isn't something I brought up or pushed.

I just want him to have fun, build his confidence, get some exercise, and help him discover something he may love for the rest of his life.

I am not interested in making him a fighter or "toughening him up" like I've seen some dad's obsess about.

I am a MMA fan, but I've never trained. So besides my watching MMA for the last 10 years, my exposure to the sport has been my training in a boxing club in college and talking to my cousins who trained off and on with Caesar Gracie and others over the last ten years.

judo!!! if he likes it...progress to other grappling arts like bjj and wrestling.

at that age. wrestling no doubt.

Cat Shannon - Kid's BJJ class, imo.

No striking.

This. Wrestling is great as well... but I don't think it has the martial arts feel your kid is looking for.

A fun striking art is always a good idea for kids because of the belts and the allure of hitting stuff but learning the discipline that comes along with it. Kids shoot for their goals, the belts, and all the while, learn how to respect others and the art.

That being said, wrestling is the best sport in the world and teaches you a lot about life. Strongly recommended. 

I think MFS still has openings

He needs to learn the 3rd hook defense ASAP!

fucking pussies in this thread. Get that kid into UFC cage fighting asap. He's a tiga.

If all he does is wrestle, he'll never accept taking a shot to the face (unless he's on of those special 1%ers)

If all he does is strike/box, he'll never learn mat awareness and the ability to tkke down/ defend a takedown

Again, you stated your not trying to make a U.F.C Champ, but  Give te kid a lil of each...  Some westling (Wich is free in most states for a pee-wee / PAL league) and when he gets tired of that, take him for some boxing or even TKD (Just to get him familiar with strinking and over the hump of getting hit).

Both will build discipline and give him and you the variety of not getting burnt out on either...

Most of all follow his pace and let him have fun, unless he starts watching Glee and asing for Pom-Poms, then just start over and hope for another boy.....

Get him in a westling program. It is inexpensive, challenging, and fun. And he will be able to take the kids who go to some mcdojo or whatever.

Kirik, any fashion advise?????

jjchgo - at that age. wrestling no doubt.

If you don't have an MMA school that teaches several aspects of MMA to kids in your area, or isn't affordable,  I would say #1 is wrestling for the best base to start with, and usually fairly cheap. Boxing is also good and usually cheap as well.   My son started wrestling in Kindergarten and I know kids that started in pre-school.  He started doing MMA when he was 8 and he loves them both.  He was big on boxing for about a year, but unless it's sparring he's not that into it, and even when he's sparring for boxing he has to fight the urge to shoot for a takedown or throw a kick.

Wrestling, or BJJ. No need to get him into MMA that young.

Those two will mold him well enough.

If i were to pick just one at this point I would say to put him in wrestling, just because it will get him in better shape.

Wrestling and boxing. No actual sparring for years with boxing. Just lots of mitt and foot work. Wrestling will make him tough and teach him how to lose and win with dignity and respect. That lesson will be worth it weight in gold.

My grappling coach (4th degree Rickson Gracie black) did the same thing. Any actually striking sparring is playful and with people he (the son) trusts. You can really make kids gun shy if you put to much striking sparring on them.

And as his dad you have to focus on the benefits of character development don't make him think it is life or death because he will connect losing with your disapproval.

I really know about this because my dad was my first coach (I am 27 now) and it was very very difficult. It probably didnt help I was a big pussy. Once I was 17 or so the man started to develop and everything came together.

Thanks, good info. Wrestling sounds like the way to go, although it is a foreign world for me. He's got two other younger brothers he roles around with anyway. Cheap is especially a good thing at the moment. When my money situation is better I'll move him up to BJJ, there are some good places here in Nor-Cal.

Does anyone here do BJJ with their sons/daughters? If he did BJJ, I might as well do it with him, I've wanted to learn anyway. Would that be weird?

McGruff The Crime Hog - Thanks, good info. Wrestling sounds like the way to go, although it is a foreign world for me. He's got two other younger brothers he roles around with anyway. Cheap is especially a good thing at the moment. When my money situation is better I'll move him up to BJJ, there are some good places here in Nor-Cal.

Does anyone here do BJJ with their sons/daughters? If he did BJJ, I might as well do it with him, I've wanted to learn anyway. Would that be weird?

My son attended an Eddie Bravo seminar last year, and when his instructor introduced him to Eddie, he told him that in addition to the MMA he wrestles and does boxing. Eddie told him that no matter what to not quit on wrestling, he said you can forget about the other stuff for now and when he gets high school age he can start back on the other stuff and the wrestling base would make him a monster on the mat. Coming from a guy who is paid for teaching BJJ I think is telling.

I train BJJ.

I'd recommend Judo to start out, he can go to wrestling or BJJ from there.

Father son combos are not uncommon in BJJ at least.

By the way, McGruff...  Congrats on not pressuring your son and doing the due dilligence to help give him the best introductions into each sport (Wich-ever fits him best)...

Best of luck to both of you, Im sure it's gonn pay off in Spaids and foster a great father/son relationship...

Congrats to you and your future champ...