Aljamain Sterling vs. Sean O’Malley Official for 292

3 Likes

3 Likes

Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) has quite the summer in store for the mixed martial arts (MMA) world.

UFC 292 is officially set to go down on Aug. 19, 2023, in the promotion’s return to Boston, Massachusetts, revealed UFC President, Dana White. Headlining the event will be Bantamweight titleholder, Aljamain Sterling (23-3), and No. 2-ranked contender, Sean O’Malley (16-1, 1 no contest). In the co-main event, the Strawweight title is on the line as the returning two-time champion, Zhang Weili (23-3), defends against Brazil’s Amanda Lemos (13-2-1).
O’Malley’s first career UFC title shot was inevitable after defeating the former champion, Petr Yan, via an action-packed split decision at UFC 280 in Oct. 2022 (watch highlights). “Suga” revealed shortly after the win that the promotion promised him he’d be next for the winner of UFC 288’s Sterling vs. Henry Cejudo main event two weekends ago (May 6, 2023). In the end, Sterling retained with his third consecutive defense, defeating Cejudo by a hard-fought split decision. Immediately after the win, Sterling went face-to-face with O’Malley in the Octagon, setting the table for this upcoming showdown.

Strawweight queenpin, Zhang, returns to action for the first time since Nov. 2022 against Lemos. “Magnum” last fought Carla Esparza, submitting “Cookie Monster” with a second-round modified rear-naked choke (watch highlights) to regain her title. A Lemos win would mark the second successful defense of her career between both title reigns.
Lemos will enter into the bout off a pair of big rebound victories over Michelle Waterson-Gomez via second-round guillotine submission (watch highlights) followed by a third-round Marina Rodriguez technical knockout with punches (watch highlights) in Nov. 2022. A Lemos upset would make her only the fourth Brazilian female UFC champion in company history behind Amanda Nunes, Cris “Cyborg” Justino, and Jessica Andrade.

Aljo is gonna make the street whore look like an amateur

5 Likes

1 Like

I would love to see O’Malley get the shit kicked out of him

9 Likes

Wow. Props to Aljo. Like him, dislike him or indifferent, you don’t see champs turn around that fast. Of course it probably has a lot to do with seeing O’Malley as an easy W but still.

7 Likes

I think Sean is going to be a lot harder than people are giving him credit.

10 Likes

Double KO would be nice in this one!

7 Likes

O’Malley has a chance in this he is not going to be steam rolled
He is hard to hit and has good angles
This ends in a dec I think

2 Likes

Sterling is going to have him tapping out before the Championship rounds

Not gonna’ count on this happening until both of them make weight…It’s a quick turnaround for Aljo.

Now today I see Aljo saying exactly that…that his bicep is tweaked and needs a mri, his shin is messed up etc. He verbally agreed but doesn’t know if he can physically do it…He’s gonna’ try, but doesn’t know…

3 Likes

I find this very very unlikely

1 Like

Ugh, if he wont make it, he has to announce early so UFC can get a proper PPV headliner.

too fast of a turnaround for Aljo. If the fight happens I got Omalley with the upset

1 Like

You knew the UFC was going to give Sean every advantage they can give him.

4 Likes

I was impressed Aljo was able to back take Yan and Cejudo when they were prepared for it. SOM is a much worse wrestler and grappler than those two. Seems like a path to victory. But SOM does seem to have more one shot shocking power than either Yan or Henry and Aljo doesnt react well to power shots.

SOdoM via KO