Aljo Refuses to Fight TJ Until UFC Offers " Some Type Of Pay Bump "

1 Like

Here we go againā€¦

18 Likes

Reigning UFC bantamweight champion Aljamain Sterling is expected to make his next 135-pound title defense against former division kingpin TJ Dillashaw as part of the upcoming UFC 279 pay-per-view (PPV) card on Sept. 10; however, ā€œFunk Masterā€ wonā€™t be signing his ā€œKillashawā€ contract until the promotion forks over some extra cash.

ā€œThereā€™s no fight until thereā€™s ink on paper, and as of right now, my contract is exactly the same,ā€ Sterling said on his YouTube channel. ā€œUsually, when itā€™s not a title fight, when you win a fight, thereā€™s an escalator. There has been no escalator in this fight. Iā€™d like to think that I played my part, did the right things and even allowed myself to be the bad guy in the last outing with Petr Yan, and help play up the storyline. So I did my job. As of right now, Iā€™m training, hoping that we come to some type of agreement to give some type of pay bump ā€“ which naturally happens in all the contracts.ā€
Sterling (21-3) made his Octagon debut as part of the UFC 170 pay-per-view (PPV) event back in early 2014 and has since compiled a 13-3 record. In addition, the streaking ā€œFunk Masterā€ is now the winner of seven straight, which includes back-to-back victories over former 135-pound champion Petr Yan.

ā€œFor me, I want to make sure we get the deal right before we just jump into another fight,ā€ Sterling continued. ā€œBecause at the end of the day, I climbed through the ranks, I worked my ass off, and I played my position in terms of helping to promote the fights, which a lot of these guys donā€™t even do. Iā€™m here to be a company man, and at the same time, I want to look out for my best interests. Thereā€™s a fine line where thereā€™s a balance where getting both of those done can happen.ā€

The way UFC is handing out interim titles these days, I donā€™t like his chances.

1 Like

Just shut up and fight

12 Likes

Well looks like weā€™ll have us another interim champ sooner than later

6 Likes

Strip him and fire him.

15 Likes

this

5 Likes

The UFC doesnā€™t generally give pay bumps unless they think you have the potential to be a big star, or recently became a big star like with Masvidal and Izzys new contracts.

Aljo will be in for a rude awakening if he tries playing hard ball with the UFC here.

6 Likes

Dana White: ā€œAljamain Sterling was never my friendā€

12 Likes

Fire him if he wonā€™t honor his contract. He makes the UFC ZERO dollars, he has absolutely no leverage, not even as champion.

13 Likes

I donā€™t like Sterling one bit but he has a point imo. Itā€™s standard for the champ to get an automatic escalator in his base pay.

1 Like

tj vs yan for interim belt

4 Likes

Presumably he got that last fight as paper champ?

There are no escalators lol. Every champ has been getting the same flat fees forever and PPV points with very rare exceptions.

This isnā€™t Conor McGregor here.

6 Likes

Iā€™ve never heard of fighters getting a pay bump in their contract just for being a champion. Yeah they get ppv points but very rarely are they bumping your base pay in the middle of a contract.

4 Likes

Maybe Aljo can take some advice from Cejudo on how to play hardball with the UFC

17 Likes

I like Aljo. Hope he gets his raise so he can put a whooping on tj like he did yan.

1 Like

ā€œYou want me to fulfill my end of a contract I signed? Ridiculous! Pay me more than the contract I signed. Then Iā€™ll think about fulfilling the contract. Thatā€™s how contracts workā€

13 Likes

Strip that bitch!

stripping chris farley GIF

5 Likes

African American Dancing GIF

1 Like