America's First Mixed Martial Artist...

really good thread.TTT

Here's one of my former instructors...

Lawrence (Larry) Yap

He has competed in amateur boxing (AAU and PAL) and Muay Thai (under Kru Takkratoke) since age 10. His wide-ranging fight experiences include all-service military Muay Thai bouts (Nakorn Si Thammarat) and U.S.-Thai friendship competitions (Lumpini and City Hall, Saraburi, Thailand).

Larry wrestled at both the high school and collegiate levels (Missouri). In 1989, he began his Gracie Jiu-jitsu training under Relson Gracie and Romolo Barros in the garage in Hawaii Kai and at the University of Hawaii, eventually earning his purple belt under Joao Morais.

In 1992, Larry began competing in no-gi, sambo, and MMA competitions (California, Las Vegas, Florida, Hawaii, UAE, Brazil, Thailand, Korea and Japan).Larry retired from competition in 2000. He is now the Jiu-jitsu instructor at Norfolk Karate Academy under William Odom.

How interesting...this is the first move Larry taught me...

Anyone have info on Tommy Lee's World Series of Martial Arts? I don't remember much, was in the mid 70s. But there were two or more, rules were pretty open with striking and takedowns and pins. I think anything that was padded you could hit with. I am pretty sure it was tournament format, too.

Names of guys that i remeber are Benny Urquidez, Teddy Limoz, Duke Sabedong, Dana Goodson, and Cecil Peoples.

ttt

[quote]Kirik -  Anyone have info on Tommy Lee's World Series of Martial Arts? I don't remember much, was in the mid 70s. But there were two or more, rules were pretty open with striking and takedowns and pins. I think anything that was padded you could hit with. I am pretty sure it was tournament format, too. Names of guys that i remeber are Benny Urquidez, Teddy Limoz, Duke Sabedong, Dana Goodson, and Cecil Peoples. [/quote] 

http://karate-in-english-lewis-wallace.blogspot.com/2008/07/tommy-lees-world-series-of-martial-arts.html

1st Serie : November 14th and 15th, 1974. Honolulu/Hawaii

This first round has no weight division. A total of USD 10,000 .-- is to divide between the fighters, the last winner won USD 5,000 .-

At the end of the first day, 16 finalists are designated, according to their results :

Blinky Rodriguez beats Dennis Lyttle, video http://fr.youtube.com/watch?v=DvB5xnKF1t0.

Smiley Urquidez loses against Burnis White.

Dana Goodson beats :

Jack Atkins by ko in the 1st round

Blink Ordelies on points

Blinky Rodriguez on points, http://fr.youtube.com/watch?v=xTCRxRcBh48.

Benny Urquidez beats:

Futi Semana, ko in the 2nd

Tom Mossman, in the 2nd

Burnis White by ko in the 2nd

Billy Rosehill by kot in the 3rd. This fight was not the semi-finals, as mentioned in Oriental Martial Arts magazine.

Rosehill practiced Taekwondo (as Judo and Ju-Jitsu) and it is his single combat in WSMAC. This tournament was advertised in Hawaii and he simply enrolled. Thanks to him for information.

In the finals, Benny Urquidez, natural lightweight, beats Dana Goodson on points. Goodson measures 6'1'' and weighs 230 lbs. Urquidez has managed to send his opponent to the canvas and to pin him for 5 seconds. His superior physical condition has enabled Urquidez to dominate his opponent, video http://fr.youtube.com/watch?v=yblJ9VqHW8w. Thanks to Shawn for his marvelous videos.

Benny Urquidez Dana Goodson World Series of Martial Arts Championships

Finals: Benny Urquidez, left, vs Dana Goodson.

This serie is a financial fiasco.

According to the Urquidez record, from his book "King of the Ring", it is possible that there was a fight in Hawaii, for the WSMAC, in December 1974. Benny Urquidez beats Burnis White, by ko in the 4th ?

[quote]shanoknowsmma - [quote]Kirik -  Anyone have info on Tommy Lee's World Series of Martial Arts? I don't remember much, was in the mid 70s. But there were two or more, rules were pretty open with striking and takedowns and pins. I think anything that was padded you could hit with. I am pretty sure it was tournament format, too. Names of guys that i remeber are Benny Urquidez, Teddy Limoz, Duke Sabedong, Dana Goodson, and Cecil Peoples. [/quote]

Tommy Lee's World Series of Martial Arts Championships

http://karate-in-english-lewis-wallace.blogspot.com/2008/07/tommy-lees-world-series-of-martial-arts.html[/quote] 

Awesome thread and videos.

awesome thread, i love martial arts history.<br />
go bruce lee

[quote]Andrew Montanez - awesome thread, i love martial arts

If you guys really like this thread then you will love my group...

HISTORY OF MARTIAL ARTS IN HAWAII

http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/historyofmartialartsinhawaii/

Yeah, i know it's only a yahoo group. But that's all i can do for now. Just join and go to the photo albums. Click on the pics and read the captions. There is tons of Historical info.

The photo albums are all organized by Martial Art.

Go also to the files section and search the message archives. If anyone has anything to contribute, that would be nice too.

Just please keep it related to Martial Arts History in Hawaii.

mahalo nui loa 

great stuff Shano

Thanks for all the praise guys!

ttt

ttt

Recently died.   Sijo Adriano Emperado.

JUDO GENE LEBELL !!!!!!!!!!! CAN I GET AN AMEN !!!

eqard 1  - JUDO GENE LEBELL !!!!!!!!!!! CAN I GET AN AMEN !!!

Sorry, but i think Okazaki and Rubber Man Higami came before him.

From my discussion forum...

http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/historyofmartialartsinhawaii/

Yes, that's what i meant to say...American MA.

Thank you Tim.

But i would say it's a toss-up between DanZanRyu, Hawaiian Kenpo, and KaJuKenBo, as to which is truly the first American Martial Art.

But then we also have to consider that Ad Santell, and a few other American wrestlers, had combined Judo techniques with their Catch-Wrestling techniques to form a new style of Submission Grappling. Though i don't think it was ever given a formal title.

But i would say that KaJuKenBo was the first attempt at trying to create a true American "Mixed" Martial Art.

Though it was soon dilluted...as were many others before it.

Steve W. seems to have quite a bit of historical knowledge. I hope he'll contribute more than that...?

Don't know about the rest of you, but I'd sure like to find out more!

mahalo

shano

--- On Fri, 5/8/09, papa0264@aol.com <papa0264@aol.com> wrote:

<!--{12418506848510}--> <!--{12418506848511}-->

<!--{12418506848513}-->

In a message dated 5/8/2009 2:55:07 PM Pacific Daylight Time, tutor2000@yahoo. com writes:

> Even Kajukenbo,

> the original Hawaiian Martial Art, had a large part of it's grappling

> and Jujutsu techniques removed or simply disregarded and eventually

> left to the wayside and forgotten.

I thought the original Hawaiian martial arts was Lua

Rick

Yes Rick that is what I understand, sometime in the 13th century?  He probably meant that Kajukenbo is the Original AMERICAN Martial Art.

Tim

--- On Fri, 5/8/09, Steve W. <powrscrol@cfaith.com> wrote:

<!--{12418506848514}--> <!--{12418506848515}-->

<!--{12418506848516}--> --- braddah shano <shanoknowsmma@ ...> wrote:

>

>  Edmund

> Kealoha Parker was a good example of why this happened. Prof. Abregana

> said that Ed Parker was only a Brown Belt when he left Hawaii...to go

> to the mainland and open a school. His style of "Kenpo Karate" had

> little semblance to what had been taught by the founding masters.

>

>  But,

> unfortunately, it was his style that became the most popular style of

> "Karate" taught in the mainland. Students merely assumed this was the

> real style of the "Old Masters"...when in actuality, quite the opposite

> was true. >

True, but Parker's "slap & rebound" mode would be difficult to fault (the way he did it, anyway).

>  Even Kajukenbo,

> the original Hawaiian Martial Art, had a large part of it's grappling

> and Jujutsu techniques removed or simply disregarded and eventually

> left to the wayside and forgotten.

When I was studying with Robert Gaylord (Charles' brother) in the mid '60's, even back then, he wasn't teaching any Jujitsu, either. But, I liked his Kenpo approach.

>  Men like Okazaki were so open to learning and adopting to whatever worked.

>  That man had the philosophy of a true Mixed Martial Artist. Years ahead of his time, he was really the "Bruce Lee" of his day.

>  Now the people who claim to carry on his legacy are actually doing the opposite.

>

Wally Jay & John Chow-Hoon had specific reasons for breaking away & forming Jujitsu America. I won't go into any specifics (as told to me); it's sufficient to say that some things were lost, some were gained. Progress is always a double-edged sword.

I met a lot of these guys at the first "The Gathering of Eagles" in Las Vegas.

I spent years practicing Karazenpo Go Shinjitsu under an 8th degree.