Ancient MMA (pankration)

Not seen him in a while. He did make some great posts alright.

phuon ngkhraz(pancrase en ingles del norte americano ?) why in these articles is there usually very little to no mention of the fact that 'pancrase' was taught to the folks in the area commonly referred to as gris(greece) in schools in kemet, nubia, by the fau and nuba. micheal bradley, count volney, andrew hacker, gerald massey, and herodotus have written a lot about this, are thier works not considered valid in the ug?

i know i get hate for admitting that i trained under bart vale, but that doesnt change the facts. oh, and immortals was a horrible movie if you have a boner for 'faux' greek "disinfo-disgiused as culture"

ttt

Masturbasian - there was no mma before pankration, could it be because of ancient aliens?

this made me lol

"If they wouldn't go over the top like 300, it would be awesome. Gladiator style."

Sorry, all movies taking place in classical times must have Matrix-style action these days.

z00f - they also practiced combat sports in the nude because that is the only way to fully appreciate human athletic expression

we need to bring that back 

The strongest handle? Phone Post

initial trolling aside this is a pretty cool thread

Persiandevil,

" My point however, is not that modern MMA is a direct descendant of Pankration. However, Pankration was the first mixed combative art that we know of that consisted of wrestling, boxing, kicks, and ground fighting.

Pankration fighters, many of them soldiers (Alexander the Greats army were trained in Pankration since childhood) - carried the art with them to India, Asia and the Middle east. These other continents developed their own local style of martial arts, with Pankration, wrestling and pugilism as their base.

Some of these new martial arts stayed true to their roots, but most of them became a far cry from the true no holds barred nature of ancient Pankration. "

So you are saying that martial arts in asia basically stemmed from Alexander the Great and his travels in Asia. And yet within the same post, you say that there is no connection between modern mma and ancient greek mma.

do you have evidence of actual grecians or the people of alexander the great actually collaborating with the asians for the sake of learning martial arts?

- did the asians say that they learned martial arts from the greeks? like the gracie's claim to have learned from the Japanese?

Ask yourself, is this wishful thinking on your part? Or do we have the level of evidence that we do with the Gracie's learning martial arts from the Japanese?

Note the one crucial criteria here, ASIANS HAVE TO ADMIT THAT THEY HAD LEARNED MARTIAL ARTS FROM THE GREEKS AND BE ABLE TO SUPPORT IT WITH EXTENSIVE EVIDENCE OF COLLABORATION. Like the Gracie's did with Maeda. Without their admittance, you cannot make history up for yourself and your own wishful thinking. At the presence you have no evidence of such collaborations , SPECIFIC COLLABORATIONS, between the greeks and asians. except for perhaps the indians.

remember, just because you want history to be a certain way, doesn't establish it as having happened. we have no specific, concrete, and extensive evidence that the asians learned martial arts from the greeks nor even a verbal admittance on their part. I know you wish to gather some kind of a deluded consensus here because there's probably lots of people here that will believe something like that and all it'll take are miniscule and irrelevant truths.

sub

@ CGT

It was a theory, I didn't claim it was fact.

Also, as an iranian, I find it humorous that you think I am nuthugging Greeks.

However, after reading one of the threads ferox13 linked. I am convinced that there have been similar mixed combat styles long before or simultaneously as Pankration.

One of them is varzeshe-bastani from my own country of Iran. It has been practiced the same way for thousands of years, you could walk into one of the oldest "Zourkhane" (translation; House of Power) and they are training the same way they always have.

Strength training with a bow like instrument, lifting heavy shields, and the iranian meel club. The heart of the sport is a type of submission grappling/freestyle wrestling. Most of the iranian olympic wrestlers started out in this ancient sport.

So yes, there have been mixed combative arts developed all over the ancient world. Not just Pankration.

The Persian Devil - @ CGT

It was a theory, I didn't claim it was fact.

Also, as an iranian, I find it humorous that you think I am nuthugging Greeks.

However, after reading one of the threads ferox13 linked. I am convinced that there have been similar mixed combat styles long before or simultaneously as Pankration.

One of them is varzeshe-bastani from my own country of Iran. It has been practiced the same way for thousands of years, you could walk into one of the oldest "Zourkhane" (translation; House of Power) and they are training the same way they always have.

Strength training with a bow like instrument, lifting heavy shields, and the iranian meel club. The heart of the sport is a type of submission grappling/freestyle wrestling. Most of the iranian olympic wrestlers started out in this ancient sport.

So yes, there have been mixed combative arts developed all over the ancient world. Not just Pankration.

o.k., glad we cleared that up. It's a theory, heck, not even a theory, a possibility.

CaptainSlow - i am a greek, so listen to me and stfu
j/k
truth is, there is no connection between pankration and mma
todays martial art "pankration" is supposed to be a revival of the ancient m/a and this revival is being achived through some statues and a dozen of pottery images
i dont believe that anyone thinks that this is possible
its nice to think that you are performing an art that was performed from ancient greek heroes,but unfortunately, there is no connection

gct is right although he sounds little angry

here is a fact as a bonus
ancinet greeks who performed boxing or pankration, when they were competing, if the opposite break his teeth, he swallowed them so he want give the satisfaction to the opposite

sry for my english,its not my first language

Coming from a true Grecian , this post is gold. Thanks for that. Thus the problem of assumed histories based on regions that are on another continent, greece, asia, or anywhere else. The important lesson here is that you have to have active participation from the actual countries that are involved. There words are more important. It cannot be ommitted.

pankration was ancient mixed martial arts. hand to hand combat fighting for sport the incoporated multiple discplines

here is a great video, presenting pankration

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pljb50QqErY

blue,help please

the most direct connection between modern MMA and Pankration is wrestling. Remember that a lot of submission holds where a part of wrestling up until about 80 years ago.

MMA KnowNothing - GCT sounds like those crazy fuggin black israelites.

haha, he really does.

Check this out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_a0M_MyTdpE
Doesn't get much crazier than that

GCT - ausgepicht , even if the ancient greeks did practice MMA just like we practice it today, DOESN'T MEAN THAT MODERN DAY MMA OWES CREDIT TO THE ANCIENT GREEKS AND SPARTANS.

It's quite simple, we'll say that the Greeks and Spartans did practice some form of MMA, and then there existed a period when they became completely irrelvant and forgotten, and then some thousands of years later some Asiatic or Brazillian devised up a form of martial arts WITHOUT having to look up ancient history. THUS, THERE IS NO REAL CONNECTION HERE, just your wishful thinking that modern MMA owes credit to these ancient greeks, who have suddenly come to life because of some goddamn pottery that could have been fabricated one way or another.

So, AGAIN , what's with the mentioning of the greeks? What does that have to do with ANYTHING? Remember, the greeks nor the Spartans didn't call it " MMA " , it's people like you that label what they did as " ancient MMA ". Again, there is no REAL connection here, just your wishful thinking.

WOW dude you POWERFULLY stupid. There's nothing worse than a limp dicked asshat TRYING as hard as he can to sound intelligent and spewing a bunch of nonsense. Basically your arguement boils down to hating white people and bringing race/racism into a topic that has nothing to do with and in such a way that you butt is obviously hurt. Discussing the fact that the Greco-Roman society practiced pancration is interesting and relevant to mma because guess what they are similar. Does you butt also hurt when someone mentions boxing here? Because that also is relevant in its own way to mma. SO your lame ass attempt at bringing race up fails! also you want to know what is racist? Some dumbass mofo on the internet bringing race into COMPLETELY non-race related conversations and calling people who you don't even know white supremacists. Seriously you are the WORST kind of pseudo intellectual. Now go play your guitar, smoke some pot, and sing a song about how the whiteman is oppressing you and and how global warming is gonna kill us a all, hug a tree, and change your diaper because you obviously got a rash developing.

Greek pankration is just one of the earliest examples of a MMA-type combat sport. That is interesting in and of itself IMO.

And as for arguing over the connection between ancient greek pankration and modern MMA - I don't get what 'connection' is supposed to mean anyway.

Striking and grappling were not invented by anyone. There are only so many ways to move and manipulate the human body. Early humans that fought a lot would have quickly learned effective tactics and manouvres. These methods could be refined over time. This would have happened everywhere independently and simultaneously.

With the advent of civilisation established systems or styles of combat became possible. With the spread of civilisation there would have been all sorts of cross-pollination in terms of fighting styles and techniques.

This thread is FAIL without pictures of Jim Arvantis's might haircut.

Max

[quote]Slapsymaxi - This thread is FAIL without pictures of Jim Arvantis's might haircut. Max[/quote]