anyone ever used lifting hooks

i have severe tendonitis and other wrist problems from years of sports and breaking them both over the years. i have seen these hooks in the past and just wondered if anyone has tried them? i hate going this route and have lifted with the pain for years but its becomming unbearable. i refuse to rest it for 6 weeks like numerous doctors have told me.

I have a pair for a review coming up. Haven't used them yet, but will soon.

I say this on all the soft tissue injury threads, but here it goes.  Give Active Release a try.  Find a provider at http://www.activerelease.com It will have their certifications when you do a search.  I'd recommend somebody with Upper Extremity (UE), Lower Extremity (LE), and Masters certifications.  If you can find somebody with those and IronMan certs, even better.  A good practitioner can clear elbow tenonitis up in an appointment or two.  I've never gone in for my wrist, but two of my athlete friends have (on my recommendation), and they've had great results.  Insurance will generally cover all or a portion of the treatment.  It will be treated like chiro essentially.  

Lifitng hooks are awesome. High quality hooks are a great tool to increase workout intensity. Ive been using various hooks for years. Number one hooks I've found are 1-Ton lifting hooks. 

I use them myself because my grip has been compromised by multiple injuries.

I use them with clients for various reasons.

I currently have a client who has been paralyzed on one side of his body and can not use his hand. In the past I worked with a client who was born with no fingers and toes on his right side. Both of these individuals were able to do traditional pulling exercise with the use of a hook.

TAKU

^awesome.

I have mixed feelings on hooks, and prefer straps for my own usage.

Why? Well, so much depends on the type and quality of the hook. For example, for me a well made hook is relatively flat and wide, covering at least 3 fingers in width. It should also obviously be of a strong enough and high enough quality metal so as to carry a heavy load without being too thick and ungainly. This allows me to still wrap my fingers around the hook and bar, and while it might feel thicker than a normal bar grip, its still secure and comfortable feeling.

On the other hand, I have also tried lifting hooks that were almost literally meathooks. The hook was made of a rounded thick wire-like metal, which while being strong as fuck, was barely a half finger width, and dug like a motherfucker into my palm, as well as making the fingers themselves feel uncomfortable with the grip.

I use hooks, but only on my last set of a movement when my grip fails me. Nothing wrong with making sure the main muscle targeted is being taxed after your grip gives out.

thank you all for the responses. so much goof info here. i will check out the 1-ton hooks and also that active release looks great. i have never heard of that.

One Ton Hooks Rock!!

C.S.,

Ive had straps slip on me and cause injury. Don't use them anymore.

TAKU

Taku - 

One Ton Hooks Rock!!

I tried these and didn't like them at all. Straps felt way more secure.

banco...

C'est la vie

TAKU

I rack pulled something stupid with hooks back in college that i could never replicate but sometimes you just want to see the bar bend

I have a brand new pair for sale if anyone wants em, I tried em for a couple reps during a warm up set & decided they weren't for me.

Damn TAKU, those straps are definitely chubby-inducing. Although does the padding create any slippage down the wrist bones?

I've never had a slippage problem with my current straps, which are all cotton. I have had straps that were of different materials slip if the bar wasn't knurled well. I remember once trying to do RDL's with a bar that was damn near smooth due to usage and age, and yeah, I slipped on that one.

Leigh - 
Adventure Runner -

I say this on all the soft tissue injury threads, but here it goes.  Give Active Release a try.  Find a provider at http://www.activerelease.com It will have their certifications when you do a search.  I'd recommend somebody with Upper Extremity (UE), Lower Extremity (LE), and Masters certifications.  If you can find somebody with those and IronMan certs, even better.  A good practitioner can clear elbow tenonitis up in an appointment or two.  I've never gone in for my wrist, but two of my athlete friends have (on my recommendation), and they've had great results.  Insurance will generally cover all or a portion of the treatment.  It will be treated like chiro essentially.  

This looks interesting. Phone Post

I really can't recommend it enough.  I'm sure results vary by person and practitioner, but I've had amazing results from my guy. He also treats a large number of professional athletes and is the official therapist for a lot of a local college and professional running teams (MIT, Saucony, BAA, etc).  I had a chronic IT band problem that would randomly flare up.  I had to wear knee braces when I ran or risk a flare up, which would sideline me for weeks.  I haven't worn knee braces in 2 years now.  I had a reoccuring back injury and had essentially given up squatting heavy every again because I'd always reaggrivate and again be sidelined for weeks.  I've been squatting heavy for a couple years now.  I had one instance fo reaggrivation, but I was set straight again after a single session instead of being out weeks.

Those were the two main problems I went in for, but now I just go back for the little tweaks and sprains you pick up from training hard.  You know those nagging little pains that may go on for months?  One visit and they are gone, so why bother dealing with them?  Similarly I've picked up random cases of elbow tendonitis from climbing or knee tendonitis from mountain running that would have had me resting it, and instead I'm back at it after a day and an appointment.  The most impressive results I've seen were with another running friend of mine.  This girl wins marathons and is tough as nails, but she felt a pain half way into a marathon.  My mile 19 she had to pull out in tears barely able to walk.  Doctors thought it was meniscus tear, she was in a full leg brace, on crutches, and had an MRI scheduled.  I sent her in to my guy, and he said it was the worst IT band blowout he's ever seen.  After a single session, the girl was running again.  

It's at least worth a shot to see if you respond to it.

. Phone Post 3.0

BALLSDEEP,

Did you un-load those hooks yet? What kind are they? I may want to take them off your hands.

TAKU

I use lifting straps; i've never liked the feel of the hooks i've tried.

Damn, I just saw this, Taku. Yea I still have them...