ANYTHING useful about aikido?

The nifty black skirts!

The only thing that I learned that was effective in Aikido was being able to handle multiple opponents. I'm not talking about actually throwing them and stuff. The footwork that Aikido uses for multiple opponents is identical to the footwork used by Paul Vunak in this Mass Attacks video.

Aikido taught me that when being attacked by multiple opponents, once you stop moving.........you're dead.

Akido=light exercise for hippies. No use for fighting at all.

What would be useful to know is how Ueshiba was seemingly able to
beat sumo and judo players. There seems to be pleny of in person
accounts (no film unfortunately) of judo and at least one sumo guy
(tenryu) getting a whupping from Ueshiba.

What I want to know, assuming that stuff is true, is how he did it. I'm
not buying the "he's a genetic freak" line because there are plenty of
dudes who are freaky strong and fast who still lose to well trained ring
fighters.

We know his students couldn't do what he did. Maybe Shioda...there's
some film of him on youtube that's interesting, but it's not a real fight
so it's meaningless. There is one bit of him with one of Bobby
Kennedy's bodyguards, but again, hardly conclusive.

I want to know what was up with Ueshiba though. I have a hard time
believing that the judoka who visited him in the prewar period were
cutting him any slack. But maybe they were. Japan is a strange place
sometimes.

Just leave it already...

My experience has been this:

I have never formally trained in Aikido. But I have had a number of Aijido
players come to train with me on a regular basis. Some were even black
belts. Almost all of them felt Aikido was a waste of their time and regret
the time they put in.

Demi

If you guys REALLY want to know how aikido works in street application, ask this forum's Siciliano. He knows all about "re-directing." Seriously.

ROTFLMAO! HAHAHA!!!

4 Ranges,

You go tell them what happened. Plum, knees and elbows didn't come out naturally.

Steven Seagal rules!!!

I'm NOT saying a PEEP Mr. Seagal.

All I'll say is this: Siciliano got into a live, multiple opponent situation at Times Square no less, and he SERIOUSLY took care of business.

But he didn't take care of business in a Buakaw/Kid Yamamoto sense.

I'd say a more Steven Seagal/Helio Gracie-self defense manual sense.

That's ALL I'm saying.

So, for those of you who DOUBT the efficacy of aikido (and Royce's "Gracie Self Defense" book), BOW to the supremacy of Siciliano/Steven Seagal/Helio.

Those freaking kids are crazy. I swear to God. There I was minding my own business.

Sucks when people think that I'm a kid too. I see that the billboard glass cases have been repaired. Man! I almost crapped in my pants when the 1st attacker was so bloody from that redirection thing that I did. His whole face smashed straight into the glass. I was like:

"SHIT!!! WTF???"

Even my wife calls you Steven Seagal now!

hoooooooooooooooo boy

sounds like SOMEbody has been watching "Above the Law" too many times!

did they at least air-roll out?

My Fat Cousin has a Black Belt in Aikido and a Black Belt in Judo. He swears by Aikido over Judo.

The breakfalls I learned from aikido saved my ass once when a car rammed my bike.

2 things, first you get to wear those cool black pants. Makes you look real pro. Second, you can use the line " I train with Steven Segal" to pick up chicks.

Angry White Pajamas is a good book. It's interesting, the guy goes to ask his instructor what the key techniques are for a streetfight, and the black belt is pretty much "punch the dude in the balls."

Aikido is great for drunk uncle situations, where you can't hurt the person.

Also good for low-threat non-compliants.

There's a guy started coming to our BJJ class a few weeks ago who's apparently a black belt in aikido. He used a wristlock to hurt a 55k girl who he couldn't beat in any other way.

Aikido has actually gone through alot of changes during the lifetime of its creator/founder Ueshiba.

Aikido's evolution was affected by both Ueshiba's age and temperament. When he was younger and when he wasn't so much caught up in his religion he taught a much harder style of Aikido, supposedly closer to the the Aiki-jujitsu style of Takada.

Later, as he aged and become more of a religious figure, he practice and taught a more softer style of Aikido.

If I am correct I think there is like a 50 year gap between his first generation students and his last generation students.

I use to have a chart that listed all of Ueshiba's direct students (that is student who were taught directly by Ueshiba) and the years they trained under him.

I know some of his really old student, the one in the 1st and maybe 2nd generations fought in alot of challenge matches.

I train in a sort of aikido martial art it was founded by Monching Gavileno here in the Philippines and some of my clasm8s swear by it they have actually used it against guys who tried to stab them...But ofcourse the training is different we still cooperate during training but during sparring we're allowed to resist specially during knife defense and the "shoot" is allowed. it works just fine but only against certain attacks you still have to cross train to be complete...Jason Delucia used some aikido throws during his pancrase days and according to him they work just fine...the problem i guess is in the "KI" oriented aikido schools they concentrate on KI not reality: Try Tomiki, Yoshinkan instead or if you're in the Philippines try "Tapondo, Combat Aikido"