ANYTHING useful about aikido?

Anybody seen Richie? Anybody know why Richie did Bobby Lupo?

"Come and get some" :-)

I watched an episode of Cops a few months ago and in the intro there was a cop slamming a guy with a wrist lock to the ground. The cop was pretty big and the guy was small

I tried some Aikido years ago when I did KF. I though it was more of a religion

I think the old school aikido could work when it was nicknamed the hell dojo, and Kano sent his guys to train there also.

I read a biography about Ueshiba and it talked about how much training he did to get stronger and that when he grabbed you to do a technique there would be bruises his grip was so strong. The older style was also built upon striking the opponent before applying the lock or throw.

Also, most of his early students were students of either Judo or Karate and knew how to fight and react to live opponents and then added the Aikido. Most students now don't have any other training except their aikido.

Hypothesis:
The aiki arts were meant to take people who were already legit badasses in fighting, and give them the tools to deal with multiple opponents and armed opponents. So it's a way of taking one's game to the next level as it were, not a beginner's martial art.

I think this is close but I believe it's more like teaching guys who were legit badasses that if they totally outclass someone, there's no need to kick their nuts into their throats, just take them down gently with a wristlock.

So does anyone think that the techniques of aikido could be learned and used in a practical manner?

I do.

In fact, I think they have been used in a practical manner.

There is nothing wrong with the techniques.

What needs work is the training methods. Those make the difference between a practitioner who CAN apply them and one who cannot.

Muay thai wouldn't be anywhere as effective if you trained it in slow motion...in a park...wearing a yellow jumpsuit....

"What needs work is the training methods. Those make the difference between a practitioner who CAN apply them and one who cannot."

Good point!

Errr...Professor Tomiki is deceased. So he isn't, he was.

Anyway, I think I speak for everyone else when I ask that someone post WTF happened with Siciliano vs. multiple attackers.

One plus in favor of Aikido is that you get to wear Hakamas...and Hakamas are basically Japanese kilts and kilts are COOL.

Just watch Braveheart and you'll see.

I guess the trouble is in the training they still use karate chops and other traditional attacks which are of course obsolete...If there's anything good about the KI style aikido is that it's a good way to train when you're too banged up or injured for Jiu-jitsu or muay thai just enough exercise while recuperating...

"Anyway, I think I speak for everyone else when I ask that someone post WTF happened with Siciliano vs. multiple attackers."

4 stupid kids who were probably 17-18 years of age (I'm 27 but I'm Asian and I look like a kid) tried to pull something on me. This happened at the Port Authority terminal on the way to the 1 train uptown.

One guy tried to do a football/body tackle that was so telegraphic that I just sidestepped and his face hit the billboards. The other guy jumped on my back giving every detail you need to pull of an ippon saio-nage (Judo shoulder throw). I just bumped my hips and the dumb SOB flew.

Would I have been able to pull out these moves against trained practicioners? HELL NO!

Shows how stupid and untrained a lot of street thugs are.

Port Authority Marshalls apprehended them. End of story.

I would not recommend beginners to take Aikido. AAnd if anyone really wants to take Aikido for self-defense, you're better off taking a combatative. Also, Ueshiba was a master of JJ; so, that explains how he took on judokas.

Here's a good quote from realfighting.com:

"Aikido is very beautiful but the problem is the unrealistic nature of the art. There's no sparring and everything is prearranged. Students learn to assume that people attacking them will come after them in aikido fashion. It is very effective if your opponent stretches out their arms, but against a grappler they will be crying like a baby. It's beautiful to watch but I've personally seen so many aikidoists crash and burn when confronting someone with real fighting skills. There are some very effective techniques, but they are best adapted by experienced fighters. If you really like aikido add a little boxing and Gracie to round out your training."

"Even after attaining a masters level, aikido is not very practical since it supposes that people in real life actually attack you in the manner that they practice. I myself have personally witnessed many high-ranking aikidoists fall helpless to mixed martial artists. Yoshinkan, which is the toughest aikido style in particular cannot defend itself from boxers, muay thai practitioners and Gracie stylists."

Siciliano - were there any cute chicks around when you defeated those ruffians?

FlahsGordon,

Don't know if there were any around. I was runing late for a job interview and that shit happened. :)

Did you nonchalantly enter the job interview saying: "Sorry, I'm late - I had to fight the forces of evil." Too bad there were no chicks around. I suspect you would have pulled big time (although the chicks you pulled probably would've been psychotic).

Siciliano - are you from Sicily?

Siciliano is busy celebrating the World Cup my friend.