Are you an exerciser or an athlete?

Interesting articles by Charles Staley. I would say that most bjj/judo/etc instructors I have experienced follow the exerciser philosophy.

www.staleytraining.com/articles/charles-staley/exerciser-or-athlete-part1.htm

www.staleytraining.com/articles/charles-staley/exerciser-or-athlete-part2.htm

www.staleytraining.com/articles/charles-staley/pain-and-performance.htm

www.staleytraining.com/articles/charles-staley/living-the-exerciser-lifestyle.htm

While he has some interesting ideas, I guess I would like to see what he has to say when he isn't tyring to sell stuff at the bottom of each page.

Just because he tries to sell stuff at the bottom of the page does not mean the articles do not have good info. He has to make a living somehow. At least he is not making articles just to sell products.

Every article has the same thing at the bottom. It would be silly to ignore the info in the articles just because of webpage design.

I'm a piece of shit

( mythreads for later)

later

I read the first link, enough to agree. Most people go to the gym in the interest of looking better. They associate exercise with pain and think that the more strain or damage they do the better they are exercising.

Contrast this to training. If you're training for a sport of any kind, at any level you are automatically goal focused. You don't beat yourself up because it hurt your sport performance and you are looking at increasing it.

You get your work in anyway and have more fun. The rest is proper diet. Looks come along with it.

I'm not quite sure I understand something: Is this guy saying HIT strength training is detrimental to the athlete? HIT is definitely not fun, but if the athlete's mindset is "this is serious business", then what does fun have to do with it? The athlete is in the gym to do a job. Nothing more. Personally, I absolutely do not want to be bothered in the gym. If you're able to carry on a conversation while exercising, then you're not working hard enough, imo. But I digress. If this guy is pissing on HIT strength training, it'd be nice if he posted some scientific studies to support his viewpoint.

I train all of my clients as athletes. No matter their physical limitations, each person has untapped athletic potential, and my job is to help them bring it out.

"I saw the angel in the marble, and chiseled until I set it free." - Michaelangelo

A trainer's job is to give the client the tools and knowledge they need to achieve their inspiration... and sometimes we need to provide some of that, too. But then they must do the actual work, and we celebrate their progress.

Jason Erickson
www.CSTMinnesota.com

athlete (bigger maxes on PL, grappling conditioning), but not a very good one.

ttt

well since ive switched to solely bodyweight training (and actually train for specific sports) i'd say athlete. looking better is simply an added bonus at the end of the day. however if i can crank out full downhill one arm rollouts like Ross and knock out 25+ pull ups with ease and do free standing handstand pushups but i don't get any more "ripped" or "cut" or a better "washboard" stomach then oh well as long as i am getting stronger and better then it's worth it